Formula One - 2013

BOF

That's a good move for both. They need experience and someone competent enough to consistently get what the car can achieve, plus he'll be a good development driver. People forget he was 15 seconds from being WDC a few years back. It's also unforgiving at the sharp end of the grid. He'll be good further down. I just hope it helps Williams back up the grid. F1 needs a good Williams.

Rumours getting stronger and a few actually saying Perez is being dropped in favour of Magnusson at McLaren, if so what a real shit thing to do, I think Perez has done ok, certainly no worse than button and to drop him now when he has no drive options elsewhere. Doesn't sit right with me

I see both sides. Yes it's probably harsh that Perez might be dropped, but this is also McLaren's worst season in nearly 20 years and he is a part of that. Button is a world champion so we know his driving ceiling is high. To this point Perez has been potential and nothing more. We don't know if he's a race winner. He looked like one at Sauber but the step up doesn't always guarantee you'll move up the grid. You say Perez hasn't done any worse than Button but that's not true. Button sits on 60pts, Perez has 35pts. Just over half. McLaren may have decided that Magnusson's potential deserves to be looked at more closely.

I would also say that it's by no means the end of Perez either. You just have to look at how Nico Hulkenberg has come back from sitting on Force India's bench for a year. He's now one of the hottest properties in F1's end-of-season merry-go-round.

Heikki Kovalainen is now thought to be the favourite to replace Raikkonen for the remaining 2 races of the season :hooray: :hooray: Although the decision could be left until the day before practice in Austin.  They feel it's not the right time to promote Valsecchi given that he has never raced in F1 and they'll need immediate performances from their 2nd car.

• Like 1

And has a pot shot at McLaren on the way out the door suggesting they need to look at what seemed an almost assumed divine right to be winning races when they're far from it :-)

I really hope Perez gets another drive at a decent team next year, lotus seem to have picked hulk but mayby this has threw a spanner in the works given lotus' financial trouble and Perez can bring some finance with him, a return to sauber more likely though. Maybt the loser in this will be di resta

I'm gonna disagree with both of you :P  I don't think Perez is quite on Hulkenberg's level although that all remains to be seen.  They both have a lot of racing to do yet in their careers.  I also think Kovalainen is better than mediocre.  Hopefully he can show something in the Lotus.  Can't see him beating Grosjean though unfortunately.

Id point to kovalainens performance in a championship winning McLaren, 1 fortunate win because Massa retired in Hungary and consistently slower than Hamilton

Yeah I know and the fact I like the guy means I will cut him more slack but what I will say is being 'consistently slower than Hamilton' is nowhere near being a criticism :) If Lewis didn't make bonehead mistakes i.e. when Lewis is on the track, all bar 1 or 2 on the grid are consistently slower than him :) I'd point at the fact that he was chosen to drive a championship winning McLaren ;)

It will get better. Red Bull have only dominated the last few years. Dynasties end. Ferrari's ended. Hopefully the rule changes next year mix it all up. Personally I think DRS has been a disaster.

What are the viewing figures like on Sky? I can't imagine anyone other than hardcores watching it tonight.

I don't think they're going to renew the rights, especially when they could have spent the money they pay in getting the CL rights.

Â