Formula One - 2013

BOF

Problem is Button still has 3 or 4 years left on his big money contract.

Terrible 'race' again, watched most of it x6 on Sky+. Even after 2 corners you could see Vettel had opened up about half a dozen car lengths whilst everyone else was front wing to gearbox. Hope for some rain or some kind of leveller in Brazil (my favourite circuit).

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I think in terms of time on screen Webbers Red Bull was higher than Vettels. Wonder how Red Bull feel about that.

The whole thing is just too technical with tyre stratergies, DRS & KERRS.

I dont want to watch some racing and looking after their tyres...............

I think they've got the balance wrong (no pun intended) with the tyres. Yes there should always be an element of taking care of your tyres in racing but F1 has become an exercise in getting to the end without 'falling off the cliff'. They are driving around on eggshells now, knowing that they can barely go flat out through too many corners for fear of having to pit a few laps later. It is no longer pure racing, it is primarily an exercise in tyre management and that's just wrong. But it's what the FIA want and to be fair to Pirelli they are only doing what they are being told to do. Almost to the detriment of their brand name. "Give us a shit tyre please". "Eh, OK then". Then the fans say "Man those Pirellis are shit, they're not going on my car!"

Fundamentally though, the FIA have also taken the easy option of providing an 'overtake button' in the form of DRS, because current design rules make it easy to design a car that can't be closely followed by another car without ruining the 2nd car's aerodynamics with dirty air. What should happen is a design that ensures a car can be followed closely, meaning the 2nd driver can slipstream and overtake properly, so we can consign the DRS button to the history books and bring back real racing over this entirely artificial stuff.

But that is probably technically quite difficult to do with the effectiveness of modern aerodynamics and they'd rather have playstation-generation fans than have hardcore fans. Eyeballs mean advertising. So they've sold their soul. Which is no surprise really.

I suppose you could liken it to a Red Bull Villa takeover in a way. I would consider myself a fairly hardcore F1 fan but I'm not there unconditionally. If they gut the sport further, by introducing things like full customer cars, 3 cars per team, more standardised parts like the ECU, then any residual interest I had in the sport would be gone. I love F1 but that would not be F1. They'd be using the F1 trademark for whatever bastardised racing series they had dreamt up at that time. They won't mind though and I understand why.  Similar to any hypothetical RBR/Villa takeover, for every hardcore fan that ups stick and leaves, there are 10 plastic fans waiting in the wings to buy into it and 'love' it in a much less committed, much less knowledgeable and in a much more superficial way. But a dollar's a dollar no matter how you acquire it.  Just ask Bernie.

• Like 1

Chilton closing in on 2014 drive. Says rich Daddy, Grahame :rolleyes:

Ah sure look, we've always had pay drivers and if his money keeps Marussia alive so drivers like Bianchi can get a foot in the door then I suppose I can live with that.  It's the pay drivers that move themselves up the grid and start taking competitive drives away from non-pay drivers that is much more annoying.

I'm pretty sure that marrusia could find another pay driver that would provide more ability than Chilton does though, at no point this season has he showed even a glimpse that he belongs in f1

Yeah and Marussia themselves have been pretty terrible this season too.  Yet owing to a freak 13th place for Bianchi in the 2nd race of the season they're probably going to finish above Caterham in the constructors championship.

Love the quotes from Chilton that he deserves a seat because he has finished every race and pace isn't everything.

I reckon I could finish every race in my citreon berlingo van if I lurked around the back

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Love the quotes from Chilton that he deserves a seat because he has finished every race and pace isn't everything.

I reckon I could finish every race in my citreon berlingo van if I lurked around the back

:crylaugh: In all seriousness isn't it time that the new teams from 2010 start to challenge further up the grid? Next season will be their fifth season and apart from a few freaky results they have not shown any ability in closing the gap to the mid table teams. 0 points in 4 seasons from the Maurissa and Caterham and HRT (when they were in F1) is embarrassing.

well the other teams are investing and progressing too so it's always going to be difficult unless they have lots of cash or more expertise. Still,  they only get lapped once ( ish ) a race this season, could be worse. Remember the minardi's used to be lapped like 4/5 times a race

It has been pretty dull alright. No-one can deny that. I just hope the wet at the weekend spices this one up. Hoping Webber wins the race as a swansong and also so Ascari can keep his record :)

Vettel said Webber wouldn't accept a win being handed to him, and in fairness to Seb he is in the middle of a historic record-breaking run so it is not fair to expect him to do so anyway. I just hope Mark can win on merit :)

Â