The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Sherwood has already confirmed it'll be Given.

MON leaving it until the last minute to tell Guzan was just stupid. It's important for the team to know who the goalkeeper behind you will be for the most important match of the season in your preparation for the game. MON thought he was Davina McCall. The unbelievable clearing in the woods. 

You've really got to feel for Brad Guzan if Given is selected.

When he's understudy the manager drops him for the final.

When he's No.1. the manager keeps faith with the understudy throughout.

Harsh.

• Like 1

Harsh.

I think Guzan will understand. He knew it wasn't right for him to miss out for the League Cup final, having been the goalkeeper that got us there, and he knows it's not right for him to take Given's place in the final now, considering Given has been the Cup goalkeeper this season. He'll definitely be gutted, but he would be hypocritical to expect otherwise considering how he felt in the Man Utd game. Guzan won the Peace Cup. Given has won **** all.

• Like 1

Not that it was justified on that basis but I suspect Guzan was dropped for the 2010 final because of the unconvincing performance in the semi-final second leg.

Harsh.

That is exactly what I said (so have a like)

• Like 1

Given deserves it, he's done nothing wrong but unfortunately Goalkeeper is the only position in football where only one can play.

It's right that Guzan is the number 1 at the club because he represents the future but it's equally right for Given to play the final after he's contributed to heavily to us getting there.

Given's also just the right choice for the final, for opposition-related reasons that have nothing to do with sentimentality IMO. We're playing Arsenal, they're hardly going to pumping balls into the box onto the head of a big man, so Guzan's advantage - aerial ability - is less important. By contrast, they're going to see far more of the ball than we are, ergo we can't afford to just give away possession every time it rolls back to the keeper, so Guzan's disadvantage - distribution - matters more. Given is really good at distribution. 

Not that it was justified on that basis but I suspect Guzan was dropped for the 2010 final because of the unconvincing performance in the semi-final second leg.

I can't stand MON, but I think he made the right decision because Guzan was really awful that game.

Given was the keeper that was dropped after playing every game for Newcastle when they lost an FA Cup Final for Steve Harper so would be cruel for it to happen twice!!

I can't stand MON, but I think he made the right decision because Guzan was really awful that game.

I understood the conservatism but I thought Guzan did enough in earlier rounds to be given the benefit of the doubt for the final.

Sherwood has already confirmed it'll be Given.

MON leaving it until the last minute to tell Guzan was just stupid. It's important for the team to know who the goalkeeper behind you will be for the most important match of the season in your preparation for the game. MON thought he was Davina McCall. The unbelievable clearing in the woods. 

I've been scouring the web and haven't found one source that says Given will start the final

Â