The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I still cannot believe we gave this waste of space a 5 year contract  :blink:

What makes him a 'waste of space' exactly? He was a great keeper and the club gave him (and others) a big contract. What was he going to say? "Hang on Mr Faulkner, you buffoon. Five years is a bit much." The club realised that what they were doing was unsustainable so they changed their ethos, freezing him and a lot of other high-earners out. Granted he under-performed for us but he still made an incredible save at the Hawthorns that more or less kept us in the league.

His attitude has never once been called into question by anyone, and everyone agrees that he's a really nice guy. Did he once kick up a fuss about being dropped? I've no doubt that he has been a massively positive influence behind the scenes since Day 1. I for one hope he gets a permanent role at the club regardless of what happens this summer.

No call for this random comment IMO.

He was a goalkeeper clearly past his best. He was dropped very quickly for Joe Hart despite not being at City very long. So we give a 35 year old a 5 year contract when he was already in decline. He was ok for us in the first season but made those familiar mistakes and showed those familiar weaknesses we had become accustomed too. He was abysmal at Euro 2012 and it was obvious even then that he was finished. We persevere and sure enough, he starts the season being at fault for virtually every goal we concede. He gets dropped thank goodness.

Did he kick up a fuss? No he didnt. But neither would anyone else when getting paid silly wages with 4 years left on your contract. No decent club would've touched him with the form he was in and definitely not pay him as much or give him such a contract. What a hero for not kicking up a fuss, sitting around doing nothing and getting paid a fortune. Was it his fault he got such a silly contract? No. But i'm certainly not going to give him any props for being content to sit there. In fact, what fuss could he have kicked up? "Boss I know I'm in the worst form of my career with no confidence but play me or I'm outta here." Yeah I bet we'd have been distraught to get him off the wage bill.

So he's a nice guy? I dont give a shit. I want to see Villa players playing well for the team, I'm not too concerned what they are like off the pitch. I dont care if they dress in womens clothing or let their girlfriends stick dildos up their arse, if they do it in the shirt then I will respect and admire them. By all accounts he isnt but if Stephen Ireland was a nice guy, would it redeem the fact that he is a lazy, greedy, unambitious fool who did nothing for us? No.

Edited by R.Bear

I dont care if they dress in womens clothing or let their girlfriends stick dildos up their arse, if they do it in the shirt then I will respect and admire them.

Hmmmmmmm

Edited by limvillian
  • Like 1

I dont care if they dress in womens clothing or let their girlfriends stick dildos up their arse, if they do it in the shirt then I will respect and admire them.

Hmmmmmmm

Do they do a wipe clean keepers shirt these days?

Given's save late in the game at West Brom in the last 2 or 3 games of McLeish's season kept us up. No doubt in my mind had that gone in and we'd lost that game right at the end, we'd have been relegated. 

He's been a good servant for us. Don't really know where he goes from here though, moving to Villa has ended his career. 

Given's save late in the game at West Brom in the last 2 or 3 games of McLeish's season kept us up. No doubt in my mind had that gone in and we'd lost that game right at the end, we'd have been relegated. 

He's been a good servant for us. Don't really know where he goes from here though, moving to Villa has ended his career. 

As we are still paying his considerable wages - surely he performs a coaching role - we don't pay to recruit another coach, he gets coaching experience... 

think he won man of the match on his debut at Fulham, again maybe not important at time but that point arguably kept us up as well

• 1 month later...

As   

Might be worth keeping him as 2nd choice and coach.

Send Steer out on loan 

He kept 10 clean sheets from 16 game at Middlesbrough last season so is still a half decent Keeper.  If the club is paying his wages they should try and get as much value as possible..  If Steer can be sent out on loan where he is number one keeper for a season it can only improve him making a better second keeper for next season.  

Shay made some howlers but he also made some amazing reflex saves and I thought he was good at controlling the back four, maybe this is nor as important now the captain plays CD.

Edited by Bottle Maker

The problem is that nobody else will pay him the sort of wage he's earning with us.....and he's on that for 2 more years!

Then surely it is better we use him as second keeper and let Steer gain experience for a season.

I do agree with the suggestion of keeping given as number 2 and having steer out on loan to get some first team football. It all depends it given is happy to play 2nd choice, or if he wants to cut his losses and go be first choice somewhere else.

Could loan steer to Blackpool they only have 8 players and no gk, championship too so not too low level!

Then use given as first team competition and coach as said.

It makes me want to cry when I think of the deal we did for this guy. Imagine who/what we could bring in for this same deal!

The person(s) responsible for this deal need never again to work anywhere where they have responsibility.

• 1 month later...

Just seen he is back in the Ireland team. Wonder why he has changed his mind to play again?

Is he coaching this yr still as well?

Keane. 

I don't believe he is no. Information on our coaching staff appears a little sketchy. This is the best I could find but I'm not sure if it is complete - http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/WhosWho

Just seen he is back in the Ireland team. Wonder why he has changed his mind to play again?

Is he coaching this yr still as well?

Keane. 

I don't believe he is no. Information on our coaching staff appears a little sketchy. This is the best I could find but I'm not sure if it is complete - http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/WhosWho

i think last time i heard that Andy Marshall is our goalkeeper coach cover Terry Gennoe was seriously illness (no give detail what he is illness) correct me please if i was wrong about Terry Gennoe illness? .. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-andy-marshall-back-7403447

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

• 3 months later...
Â