U.S. Politics

maqroll

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This Hilary emails stuff seems like a storm in a teacup compared to Trump's indiscretions. 

Not sure about that, emails can contain anything such as defence plans or the coming and goings of prominent people for example.

For all we know she is already being bribed about these and will pay her dues once elected by the policies she is bound to choose. Trump is like an old racist uncle at Xmas,  might not be great what he does but everyone can go home afterwards in one piece.  She has the look of a woman who a) could drop dead any minute b ) She looks like she is expecting something else to fall out of the skeleton storage c) Her reaction to the email letter was very restrained,  she should have exploded at the news but seems a bit rabbit / headlight currently.  It looks like she does not want to push too many buttons at the FBI because she knows they could kill the election at any time now.

I am way past caring who wins,  they both probably be in prison in a proper country anyway.  They have the candidates that they truly deserve IMO.

From an entertainment point of view,  seeing her arrested getting off a private jet would be the way forward.

Knowingly using private servers to transmit classified information is a felony, it's not a storm in a teacup by any means, she should be in prison. Not to mention the emails being deleted prior to the servers being handed over to investigators. She broke the law, then tried to hide the evidence.

Of course, the elss said about Trump the better. Neither of these people are fit to run the local parks and recreation department, nevermind being president.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Awol said:

There seems to be a fair degree of certainty amongst the US national security types that Russia is behind the hacks of Hilary / DNC emails & is using wiki leaks as the vector to release them. 

Clapper the Director of National Intelligence has gone as far as stating that the US will respond in a time & manner of its choosing. 

Perhaps the biggest risk to Hilary is whatever dirt they may be carefully holding back for now, for release into a deeply divided  domestic environment after she becomes President Elect.  

Russia is certainly making a real fist of screwing with America & its politics so far - a function of being led by a former KGB officer.

James Clapper is an upstanding, unbiased and most trustworthy gent too, I might add!

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If Trump wins I think he wouldnt live past 2017 I am afraid

Why would you be afraid? Surely if he wins, not living past 2017 would be best for all concerned?

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Obama s'more of a puppet that can be controlled, trump I can see going against the establishment 

I don't buy into these sorts of ideas anyway but even if I did, why would Trump even be allowed to make it this far if "they" controlled everything?

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

As I've said before, 4/45 have been murdered on the job. That's one in eleven. Whoever wins has a non-trivial chance of being assassinated. 

It's also worth remembering though that the last assassination was over 50 years ago. Obviously the threat is very high but the Secret Service are very good at what they do.

I'm not saying there isn't a non-trivial chance of the president being assassinated but loads of people were saying about how Obama would get assassinated and obviously he didn't.

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's also worth remembering though that the last assassination was over 50 years ago. Obviously the threat is very high but the Secret Service are very good at what they do.

I'm not saying there isn't a non-trivial chance of the president being assassinated but loads of people were saying about how Obama would get assassinated and obviously he didn't.

Yes, you're right. You could flip my numbers around and say over 90% of presidents haven't been assassinated. But you can also make a fairly strong argument that the situation now is a little different. Partisanship is at all-time highs, and ticket-splitting increasingly rare. It's also probably relevant here that Trump has repeatedly told his supporters that the election is rigged and strongly suggested he will view the results as invalid if they don't show him winning. Just to add to that, this FBI story should helpfully make many Democrats feel the election was stolen should Trump win. We're looking at a situation where probably at least a third of the electorate will regard the final winner as illegitimate whoever it is. 

Final point to bear in mind here is that a British man, apparently mentally ill, is awaiting trial after rushing the stage at a Trump rally in Las Vegas, while armed, with the apparent intention of killing him. You're right that the Secret Service are very good at what they do, but my point is they have to do it for a reason. Sometimes people talk about assassinations as if they are something that could only happen on TV (not saying you are doing this, just something I have observed) but America is a very politically-divided and highly-armed nation with a long history of political assassinations. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, you're right. You could flip my numbers around and say over 90% of presidents haven't been assassinated. But you can also make a fairly strong argument that the situation now is a little different. Partisanship is at all-time highs, and ticket-splitting increasingly rare. It's also probably relevant here that Trump has repeatedly told his supporters that the election is rigged and strongly suggested he will view the results as invalid if they don't show him winning. Just to add to that, this FBI story should helpfully make many Democrats feel the election was stolen should Trump win. We're looking at a situation where probably at least a third of the electorate will regard the final winner as illegitimate whoever it is. 

Final point to bear in mind here is that a British man, apparently mentally ill, is awaiting trial after rushing the stage at a Trump rally in Las Vegas, while armed, with the apparent intention of killing him. You're right that the Secret Service are very good at what they do, but my point is they have to do it for a reason. Sometimes people talk about assassinations as if they are something that could only happen on TV (not saying you are doing this, just something I have observed) but America is a very politically-divided and highly-armed nation with a long history of political assassinations. 

I'm aware of that but I just don't think it's particularly likely that either Clinton or Trump would actually get assassinated. At the very least the likelihood isn't quite as great as some (not you) make out.

Other points to bear in mind are that Trump and Clinton are the two most-dislike candidates ever, and that there may be aspects of both their characters that may make them more noticeable than 'normal' politicians to the sort of generally mentally unwell people who might take this step (Clinton - being a woman in a traditionally male role, a penchant for secrecy over disclosure (even by the standards of politicians), her long life in the public eye and the many previous conspiracies about her and her husband, Trump - his personality, his willingness to raise conspiracy theories of his own, his history of switching between parties, his media career and the highly unusual nature of his candidacy). 

EDIT: I see we cross-posted. I think we are not far from agreement. We agree it is 'not particularly likely' but that there is 'a non-trivial chance'.

Edited by HanoiVillan

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Obama s'more of a puppet that can be controlled, trump I can see going against the establishment 

I dunno, Obama kind of showed to me that maybe the president isn't that all powerful after all, a lot of the stuff he wanted to do got held up or denied by the senate, I think his legacy will be that he didn't actually do that much despite all the promises

• Like 2

Â