U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They better start flooding out then as those will be the options

There's still a chance of a contested convention in which somebody like Paul Ryan could come out of nowhere and clinch the nomination. If Trump gets the Republican nomination they'll be wiped out in Congress.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Boys, for the first time in 17.5 years of living here, i have a vote.....

I care about a lot of things, but honestly, one of the biggest things i care about is 2A....the other massive thing i care about is not having a complete numpty in charge. seems like im in a lose/lose.

Like, for real? 

I know you love your guns but are they really more important to you than poverty, health care, education, climate change, jobs etc? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

There's still a chance of a contested convention in which somebody like Paul Ryan could come out of nowhere and clinch the nomination. If Trump gets the Republican nomination they'll be wiped out in Congress.

Why would Ryan do this?

If Clinton was going to be indicted, then he might have a free run, but otherwise he's a known quantity with plenty of neo-liberal free market bs baggage (e.g., various crap budgets, 2012/Romney) and would be very unlikely to beat Hillary.

Right now, he's in a position of incredible power in the US governmental system and if instead of fighting Trump, they united with him in some way, the repubs are in with a good shot of keeping the Senate in repub hands (the house is a gerrymandered lock). If they lose this, he doesn't take a lot of personal damage (blame Trump), keeps his current position and will be positioned for a much stronger presidential challenge in the future. I think Ryan is a bit of a scumbag but I recognize him as a smart man also and can't imagine him taking such a risky chance.

33 minutes ago, villakram said:

Why would Ryan do this?

If Clinton was going to be indicted, then he might have a free run, but otherwise he's a known quantity with plenty of neo-liberal free market bs baggage (e.g., various crap budgets, 2012/Romney) and would be very unlikely to beat Hillary.

Right now, he's in a position of incredible power in the US governmental system and if instead of fighting Trump, they united with him in some way, the repubs are in with a good shot of keeping the Senate in repub hands (the house is a gerrymandered lock). If they lose this, he doesn't take a lot of personal damage (blame Trump), keeps his current position and will be positioned for a much stronger presidential challenge in the future. I think Ryan is a bit of a scumbag but I recognize him as a smart man also and can't imagine him taking such a risky chance.

Clinton really isn't that popular - I think he'd fancy his chances against her and although he has a lot of power already I don't think he could pass up the chance to become president if the opportunity came up.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Clinton really isn't that popular - I think he'd fancy his chances against her and although he has a lot of power already I don't think he could pass up the chance to become president if the opportunity came up.

Oh, I agree. Clinton is very beatable and I think that even Trump will have a very good shot at beating her. But if Ryan were to be the nominee, he will have done so via starting an open civil war in the republican party and I would not expect Trump to go quietly into the night. In such a fractured race there is no plausible way for a republican candidate to win the electoral college... and I suspect Ryan knows this too, as do the smarter heads in the repub party irrespective of the current game being played.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

Huge leak at a law firm in Panama reveals the illegal tax evasion committed by the Prime Minister of Iceland who upset the banks, Putin who refuses to play fair, leaders from Argentina who refused to recognise the debt to a hedge fund that would have shut down half of the country, Brazil, who have the largest publicly owned oil company in the world and of course Egypt's former president Hosni Mubarak, Libya's former leader Muammar Gaddafi and Syria's president Bashar al-Assad.

Strangely, no activity involving any American firms, multi national Oil companies, western banks, hedge funds or financiers or leaders from the US or any countries they are friends with appear to have been discovered.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Huge leak at a law firm in Panama reveals the illegal tax evasion committed by the Prime Minister of Iceland who upset the banks, Putin who refuses to play fair, leaders from Argentina who refused to recognise the debt to a hedge fund that would have shut down half of the country, Brazil, who have the largest publicly owned oil company in the world and of course Egypt's former president Hosni Mubarak, Libya's former leader Muammar Gaddafi and Syria's president Bashar al-Assad.

Strangely, no activity involving any American firms, multi national Oil companies, western banks, hedge funds or financiers or leaders from the US or any countries they are friends with appear to have been discovered.

They could have been discovered and just not disseminated...the political motivation of the leaker is up for scrutiny, especially with no American links being revealed. Panama is in some ways a satellite state of the US so the leaker might have a personal interest in not exposing any American links. Quite the racket though. It's frightening to ponder on how much sleaze and corruption out there exists in the shadows. 

It's looking increasingly unlikely that Trump will have the required delegates for the convention and in that scenario neither Cruz or Kasich have much of a chance of becoming the nominee either - it'll likely be somebody from the outside. His odds have moved in but Paul Ryan is still a good bet right now.

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

They could have been discovered and just not disseminated...the political motivation of the leaker is up for scrutiny, especially with no American links being revealed. Panama is in some ways a satellite state of the US so the leaker might have a personal interest in not exposing any American links. Quite the racket though. It's frightening to ponder on how much sleaze and corruption out there exists in the shadows. 

It's actually starting to look like there more Western exposure than initially noted. France Australia and the UK are amongst the nations looking into it, and David Cameron's late father is in the files.

Â