U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 1/7/2018 at 02:43, peterms said:

What was the initial thing that made them all do poetry?
Irrespective, this is more amusing than it ought to be!
Anything the Tango Man tweets causes an almighty fuss,
He is just, like, really smart - a Very Stable Genius.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Speaking of fire and fury.

Trump Tower in NY is on fire.

Bildresultat för trump tower fire nyc

You'd half expect the reporting of this to mention something like

'Fire mysteriously began near a large stack of computers and hard drives placed surrounded by what appeared to be a hastily assembled pile of documents, which happened to be stacked next to some gasoline, left over New Year's fireworks and a fork in a plug socket'.

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What was the initial thing that made them all do poetry?

Not poetry, but opera. The Major-General's Song from Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Pirates of Penzance". 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, peterms said:

I see wikileaks have put Fire and Fury online.  Can be read in its entirety, but it's not downloading as too many people are trying to do so...

Please don't bother sending me a DM if you want a link.  I don't have one, and even if I did I wouldn't share it.

• Like 1

So Oprah for president now?

Marvelous, what are here credentials for that position?  Handing out free crap to desperate housewives and being rich?

Dr Phil as secretary of state?

I decided to buy Fire and Fury. It's kind of difficult to read. The author seems to have thrown in unique synonyms that are very rarely used in regular day to day talk. It honestly seemed like he would pick a word, then go into a thesaurus to find a more obscure word. There are also a lot of run on sentences that make the reading disjointed. 

I am only 2 chapters in, but it has been an interesting read for the most part. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I decided to buy Fire and Fury. It's kind of difficult to read. The author seems to have thrown in unique synonyms that are very rarely used in regular day to day talk. It honestly seemed like he would pick a word, then go into a thesaurus to find a more obscure word.

I watched the interview. It started out okay. Miller was answering Jake's questions albeit adamantly denying and slandering the book and the notions of collusion. Then Miller went off on a tangent and starting bashing CNN and making these absurd claims. If Miller wanted to make a point about biased CNN reporting and how they have lied, he should have had some data and examples to back it up. Ultimately it became Miller just yelling about how terrible CNN is and obviously the CNN anchor isn't going to just let that continue. Jake still gave Miller another chance to get the interview back on topic, but Miller doubled down on his CNN bashing and the interview was rightfully ended.

I really don't get what Miller's goal was. What do you expect to happen when you go to a business and say terrible things about said business especially when that wasn't the reason you were brought on? 

I didn't know who Miller was before the interview, and now it seems he is Donald's hype man. Calling Trump a genius and all the other things made me thing Miller was just trying to get on Trump's good side with this interview and seeing how Trump immediately tweeted about it makes that seem very likely. 

Edited by Czechlad

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I really don't get what Miller's goal was. What do you expect to happen when you go to a business and say terrible things about said business especially when that wasn't the reason you were brought on? 

It seems that US political culture at present is about speaking only to the base, in increasingly divisive terms.

Looking from outside, there seems little interest in consensus or common ground.

31 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I watched the interview. It started out okay. Miller was answering Jake's questions albeit adamantly denying and slandering the book and the notions of collusion. Then Miller went off on a tangent and starting bashing CNN and making these absurd claims. If Miller wanted to make a point about biased CNN reporting and how they have lied, he should have had some data and examples to back it up. Ultimately it became Miller just yelling about how terrible CNN is and obviously the CNN anchor isn't going to just let that continue. Jake still gave Miller another chance to get the interview back on topic, but Miller doubled down on his CNN bashing and the interview was rightfully ended.

I didn't know who Miller was before the interview, and now it seems he is Donald's hype man. Calling Trump a genius and all the other things made me thing Miller was just trying to get on Trump's good side with this interview and seeing how Trump immediately tweeted about it makes that seem very likely. 

You should read up on Miller, he's a piece of work.

As for his goal... Couple of things. Firstly the Trump camp seems to just double down on their usual lines whenever they can, playing to their support and repeating their Big Lies.

Perhaps more importantly though, there's a school of thought that says significant/visible members of the administration repeat Trump's 'vision' on pain of death. So the big names just repeat what he wants to hear, regardless of how bad they look or how obviously wrong it is, so he doesn't bin them.

Miller is qualified pretty much entirely as a brown nose, if Trump tomorrow declared black people as draco-reptilian aliens bent on human blood, Miller would be espousing the threat of lizard black men within seconds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You should read up on Miller, he's a piece of work.

As for his goal... Couple of things. Firstly the Trump camp seems to just double down on their usual lines whenever they can, playing to their support and repeating their Big Lies.

Perhaps more importantly though, there's a school of thought that says significant/visible members of the administration repeat Trump's 'vision' on pain of death. So the big names just repeat what he wants to hear, regardless of how bad they look or how obviously wrong it is, so he doesn't bin them.

Miller is qualified pretty much entirely as a brown nose, if Trump tomorrow declared black people as draco-reptilian aliens bent on human blood, Miller would be espousing the threat of lizard black men within seconds.

Yep, he's like 'Dr' Gorka (the very definition of fake news given his dubious CV and academic credentials). Basically goes on as an attack dog to try and browbeat interviewers and shout down any questions with cries of fake news - plays right to Trumps base. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Standard operating procedure.  You will hear any UK minister repeat the mantra "under Mrs May's leadership " whenever they are interviewed.  Slightly more subtly phrased; same shtick.

Â