U.S. Politics

maqroll

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I get the sentiment  and over looking “ Eisenhower won the Second World War “  and assuming they mean he was the the senior commander then using the same logic  Winfield Scott won the Mexican - American War, not Zachary Taylor  so the argument doesn’t hold true #pedant

Bravo Sir! Not enough of this in the world. "Pedantry!!!" sneer the ignorant.

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yer man Steele is being treated very badly by the GOP. This outrageous treatment will only serve to weaken the country, because now more than ever, overseas intelligence sources will hesitate to get involved. These Republicans are total idiots, it's stunning.

This is pretty much the democrat slogan for the 2018 elections. 

There has to be something going on with the republican party behind the scenes. I don't understand why they'd blindly follow trump, and even help cover up his messy wrongdoings. 

25 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

There has to be something going on with the republican party behind the scenes. I don't understand why they'd blindly follow trump, and even help cover up his messy wrongdoings. 

Have you seen how many Republicans aren't standing for re-election?

There's a huge swathe if them jumping off the greasy pole

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

It was also their slogan for 2016, which is why they lost. The Democrats don't stand for anything other than "the Republicans suck" and "look, we're not racist!". Strictly speaking it's still miles better than what the Republicans have on offer, but it's not very inspiring during an election.

• Like 2

Off the top of my head, democrats stand for the following:

• LGBQT rights 
  • legalization of marijuana 
  • Female's right to choose on abortion
  • Stricter gun control
  • Healthcare is a universal right
  • And softer on immigration

I feel like most people can agree to a lot of these things. 

• LGBQT rights 
  • Stricter gun control

They really don't. Justice Democrats yes, but corporate Democrats couldn't give a shit really.

• LGBQT rights 
  • Stricter gun control

It's difficult to talk about what 'Democrats' stand for. Joe Manchin and Heidi Heitkamp certainly don't stand for the same things as Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris. 

Those are at least what I associate the democratic party with, and most sites I search say something similar. On a person to person scale, I am sure it's different, but overall I feel like most democrats are for those things. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Those are at least what I associate the democratic party with, and most sites I search say something similar. On a person to person scale, I am sure it's different, but overall I feel like most democrats are for those things. 

The American party system doesn’t really work like that. The tent is so big it’s sometimes impossible to understand how two given members of a party can find common ground, they’re so far apart. 

Dems are more likely to stand for the things you listed then the guys on the red team, but for each item on the list you should be able to find a Dem congressional faction that doesn’t. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 3

One of the first things the dems did after the election of Trump was to change their rules to as to allow mega donors to sit on their state level party committees or whatever they call them. The second action was to re-"elect" the same leadership that has lost the last 6 elections in a row.

Anyone holding out for the democratic party to save them hasn't been paying attention. 

Both parties are a pox on this country.

• Like 1

Makes for interesting reading, it also shows that Trump's lawyers are distinctly second rate, which again backs up the rumour that at least 6 of New York’s top law firms declined the invitation to become Trump's external legal advisors

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Makes for interesting reading, it also shows that Trump's lawyers are distinctly second rate, which again backs up the rumour that at least 6 of New York’s top law firms declined the invitation to become Trump's external legal advisors

I especially liked (and, for that reason, hope it's all correct):

...cite to New York as the governing law, yet we were surprised to see that President Trump plans on asserting a claim for 'false light invasion of privacy'. As you are no doubt aware, New York does not recognize such a cause of action...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

429 days since winning the election, and Trump is still going on about "Crooked Hillary".

But in 429 years, historians will still be writing about Crooked Donald.

Assuming we haven't all been nuked into radioactive soup before then.

Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘shithole’ countries in Oval Office meeting

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-attacks-protections-for-immigrants-from-shithole-countries-in-oval-office-meeting/2018/01/11/bfc0725c-f711-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?utm_term=.6da75ad13a22

Â