U.S. Politics

maqroll

So, you’re happy Joe Biden’s bill that would make the US slightly less neo-lib has failed, because Joe Biden is really a neo-lib and no better than Joe Manchin who is stopping Biden’s bill to make the US slightly less neo-lib? 

Or what? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

So, you’re happy Joe Biden’s bill that would make the US slightly less neo-lib has failed, because Joe Biden is really a neo-lib and no better than Joe Manchin who is stopping Biden’s bill to make the US slightly less neo-lib? 

Or what? 

Happy?!? That's an interesting interpretation of that post. Given xmas is coming up, seeking out some actual kabuki theatre instead of whatever guff the TV is showing might be an amusing use of your time.

• Confused 1

On 14/12/2021 at 19:31, bickster said:

Is it?

Living in the middle of hare coursing central, The Waterloo Cup used to be held about 2 miles over there, I'd dispute that

As someone whose Grandfather used to go out shooting for rabbits and pheasant (and was a coalminer), I'd also dispute it on those grounds too. He was doing that into the 1970s, just himself, a shotgun and his dog. I remember the pheasants hanging in the kitchen over the bath

Hunting was very working class, yes the toffs used to go around on their horses shouting Taly Ho chasing foxes but the dead animal count will have been far higher from the working classes. The number of participants would also be strongly in favour of the working class.

You are basing your perception on a VERY small timescale of a couple of decades at best

Hare coursing still goes on around here, it's just not talked about

Same here. I had a mate, very normal bloke who was into hunting. He used to shoot birds, squirrels and stuff, then cook it and sometimes he’d bring morsels into work for us to try/guess what it was. His hunting mates bought him an RSPB membership as a reward for his (apparently inaccurate) shooting.  He’s dead now, but he was far from a toff. He had his dogs for fetching the bodies of the animals and birds he murdered and was as happy beating (PFK) as murdering. Nice bloke. RIP Phil. Noticeably no wildlife went to his funeral.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

Same here. I had a mate, very normal bloke who was into hunting. He used to shoot birds, squirrels and stuff, then cook it and sometimes he’d bring morsels into work for us to try/guess what it was. His hunting mates bought him an RSPB membership as a reward for his (apparently inaccurate) shooting.  He’s dead now, but he was far from a toff. He had his dogs for fetching the bodies of the animals and birds he murdered and was as happy beating (PFK) as murdering. Nice bloke. RIP Phil. Noticeably no wildlife went to his funeral.

I think the working class hunting came from necessity, not for sport as it was for the tofs. Certainly my nan used to talk about her dad going hunting for rabbits during WW2 (Halesowen terraced house.) She remembers them skinned and hanging in the kitchen.

Working class suits had a secret "poachers pocket" which went around the back of your jacket. Back then if you hunted on someones private land they could have you arrested even if the game was wild. Oh the days of going scrumping as a young rapscallion......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Quieten down peons.

Greenwald is an extremist who lost any credibility long ago.

He's mad he didn't get a job at a top paper after breaking the Snowden story and has been even more extreme ever since. The reason no-one will employ him is because he's a lunatic.

The Intercept which he helped start had to get rid of him.

• Like 3

Happy?!? That's an interesting interpretation of that post. Given xmas is coming up, seeking out some actual kabuki theatre instead of whatever guff the TV is showing might be an amusing use of your time.

Write what you actually mean, then, instead of the usual riddles and sarcasm. 

26 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I think the working class hunting came from necessity

Some of it may have done but by no means all of it not by a long way.

Hare coursing used to be really popular, as a sport, it's where Greyhound racing originates from in much the same way as horse racing comes from fox hunting and the like

Just look at how many people go fishing even in this day an age. Fishing is hunting, all the talk about fishermen really caring for the fish and put them back, doesn't change that. I'm sure the fish would much rather be left alone, even the ones that get put back unharmed

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just look at how many people go fishing even in this day an age. Fishing is hunting, all the talk about fishermen really caring for the fish and put them back, doesn't change that. I'm sure the fish would much rather be left alone, even the ones that get put back unharmed

It's why I'm so pro foxhunting. Who knows where the eyes will turn next. 

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Greenwald is an extremist who lost any credibility long ago.

He's mad he didn't get a job at a top paper after breaking the Snowden story and has been even more extreme ever since. The reason no-one will employ him is because he's a lunatic.

The Intercept which he helped start had to get rid of him.

Once again, attacking the source and ignoring the content.

Once again, attacking the source and ignoring the content.

I think the claim that Pelosi has amassed a fortune of $300m, is a little high.

Other sources put it at below $200m, which is pretty good going for someone earning a $193k salary.

Insider-trading using information revealed in congress, is quite legal.

I understand that they once had a vote on allowing bribes paid on the floor to be made legal, but it failed.

Monetising one's public office seems to be considered acceptable in the US of A.

It is understood that in the UK it is only considered cricket, if politicians wait until they leave office before they cash in, usually through book deals and lucrative lecture tours, paid for by those they helped while in power.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think the claim that Pelosi has amassed a fortune of $300m, is a little high.

Other sources put it at below $200m, which is pretty good going for someone earning a $193k salary.

Insider-trading using information revealed in congress, is quite legal.

I understand that they once had a vote on allowing bribes paid on the floor to be made legal, but it failed.

Monetising one's public office seems to be considered acceptable in the US of A.

It is understood that in the UK it is only considered cricket, if politicians wait until they leave office before they cash in, usually through book deals and lucrative lecture tours, paid for by those they helped while in power.

If only she was a little more normal and a person of the everyday people like Donald Trump. 

She's just not in touch with the common man. 

• Like 1

Â