U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

There are huge areas of the USA where it is impossible to leave. Unless you have a car you are essentially trapped. What does this do to the psychology of a population? One population sees public transport as an equalizing factor, open to all, and a shared commodity (also see trams etc.) The other sees a barrier that without wealth, options are limited and you are "lesser" unless you possess necessary wealth.

I live in a rural bit just north of the 49th. We have rural airports that connect to Vancouver, even Spokane is only three hours by car, the US border gods permitting.

My experience of Americans is a little bit select. By and large, they are well-to-do educated. The so-called "deplorables" I sort of understand. It's the 'nice" people who vote for Trump I really don't understand.

• Like 1

This dynamic of the liberal city dweller vs conservative rural values is not unique to the US. In fact it seems to hold in most countries around the world. 

It’s a pretty stressful era at the moment with constant news of significant problems on their way which threatens our way of life. I think that drives a population towards the extremes for a solution. 

• Like 1

So Trump is going with an immunity defence.

I'm sure I've heard the words 'if the President does it, it's not illegal' somewhere before 🤔

Hunter Biden turning up for his contempt of Congress hearing was really good but him walking out just as MTG was to get to speak was funny.  Really pissed her off.

Hunter Biden

giphy.gif

She still showed his dick pics to Congress (again)…obsessed!

Edited by nick76

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

*Marjorie Taylor Green - a US Congresswoman and right wing conspiracy nutjob.

You're welcome fellow Europeans.

Sadly this barely covers just how batshut crazy this woman is. She literally took part in Jan 6th riots, she was the one dementedly talking through the door of AOC's office telling them to come out and the same woman who said if she had been organising it they would have been armed and successful. A proper horror story human.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 08:46, LondonLax said:

This dynamic of the liberal city dweller vs conservative rural values is not unique to the US. In fact it seems to hold in most countries around the world. 

It’s a pretty stressful era at the moment with constant news of significant problems on their way which threatens our way of life. I think that drives a population towards the extremes for a solution. 

It's ramped up to an even bigger extreme in Poland IMHO

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

*Marjorie Taylor Green - a US Congresswoman and right wing conspiracy nutjob.

You're welcome fellow Europeans.

the representative for some of my work colleagues (I "luckily live across the state line)

Texans have always considered themselves quasi-independent, and actions like this agitate for greater autonomy. As long as the GOP runs the state, we'll keep seeing more of it. And if Trump gets back in power, border crossers WILL be shot on site, I have no doubt about it. I wouldn't even rule out a military incursion into Mexico. 

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And if Trump gets back in power, border crossers WILL be shot on site, I have no doubt about it. I wouldn't even rule out a military incursion into Mexico. 

On 05/01/2024 at 23:51, nick76 said:

This is an instant classic. Attributes an idiotic Trump quote to Biden as evidence of Biden's senility, but when confronted with the fact that Trump said it, he downplays it as a simple rhetorical error.

• Like 3

Just now, maqroll said:

This is an instant classic. Attributes an idiotic Trump quote to Biden as evidence of Biden's senility, but when confronted with the fact that Trump said it, he downplays it as a simple rhetorical error.

Yeah I saw that, he just made a real tit of himself

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I saw that, he just made a real tit of himself

I’m amazed there was someone in hand to fact check it, maybe he works for Spotify.

Â