U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Genie said:

A few months back there was one of his supporters that was spouting rubbish and the reporter corrected every incorrect statement they made (stuff about Obama not being American). Then reporter asked if there is anything at all Trump could do that would cause you to not vote for him, the reply was no.

What a massive cult

God knows what'll happen if he wins next year.

I wonder if in 20/30 years time people will look back at this time period and think everyone was **** mental.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

BBC Breakfast just interviewed a Trump supporter outside the Jail. 

He said he could tell us right now that if Trump was just playing Golf and not trying to become President again this arrest wouldn't have happened. 

Interviewer "How do you know that?" 

Redneck "I know it for a fact" 

Interviewer "How?" 

Long pause, looks away, looks back

"Because I'm an intelligent man" 

Being a Brummie I'm hesitant to mention the accent but the southern drawl didn't really help much either. 

I saw that this morning. Pissed my pants in laughter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

God knows what'll happen if he wins next year.

I just can’t see it.

I know many of his supporters are noisy and doubling down on their backing but he must have lost more than he’s gained since losing the 2020 election.

I think he’ll romp the Republican vote and then get battered in the national election.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I just can’t see it.

I know many of his supporters are noisy and doubling down on their backing but he must have lost more than he’s gained since losing the 2020 election.

I think he’ll romp the Republican vote and then get battered in the national election.

And then another 4 years of an 80 year old man, fuelling more and more division. Then Trump runs again in 2028?

Just don't see a good way out here.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

And then another 4 years of an 80 year old man, fuelling more and more division. Then Trump runs again in 2028?

Feels like this is on the Republican party for not getting rid of Trump / presenting a viable alternative to Biden.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Biden will likely perish or stand down, then you've got a good chance of getting someone who isn't 200 years old, out of the many moderate young politicians within the dems.

Demography isn't on the GOP's side, neither is it on the 'old' politician's side.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Biden will likely perish or stand down, then you've got a good chance of getting someone who isn't 200 years old, out of the many moderate young politicians within the dems.

Demography isn't on the GOP's side, neither is it on the 'old' politician's side.

What happened to Harris? She was very prominent in the early days and the talk was he’d hand over the reigns fairly quickly.  I don’t follow US politics very closely, is she still on the scene or pushed backwards a bit?

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

What happened to Harris? She was very prominent in the early days and the talk was he’d hand over the reigns fairly quickly.  I don’t follow US politics very closely, is she still on the scene or pushed backwards a bit?

Still Veep, but not doing so hot publicly and in speeches. She'd be the one to take the reigns if he was to fall over today, but it doesn't look like she'll be veep next term unless they go for continuity.

I'm suspecting she was drunk or high here..

Edited by magnkarl
  • Thanks 1

They obviously let him self-report his height and weight, lol.

I doubt he's 6ft 3 even when he wears his special shoes with massive lifts in, and the last time he was that weight was probably 40 years ago.

45 minutes ago, andym said:

They obviously let him self-report his height and weight, lol.

I doubt he's 6ft 3 even when he wears his special shoes with massive lifts in, and the last time he was that weight was probably 40 years ago.

I was surprised someone 6,3 with his build was “only” 97kg. 

I think he’s both shorter and heavier than that.

On 24/08/2023 at 10:34, Chindie said:

America is a giant experiment in to what the outcome of a society that operates entirely on cold hard greed would be. Turns out it works out really well for some people and **** every thing else. Including truth, integrity, basic humanity.

The American Dream for the few is supported by the American Nightmare of the many.

On 24/08/2023 at 07:59, mjmooney said:

Boring. They should be in prison shirts, against one of those height charts, holding up a board with their name and the date, and scowling. 

EDIT: With a black eye and a split lip. 

339006364_184344724394034_9064207226495310907_n.jpg.93cf130554b6db5b93e9ffd63b4d8cd4.jpg

Bit better?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I just can’t see it.

Exactly there is no way he will get more votes than last time.  I think Trump getting the nomination is the best scenario for the Dems.  Yes Biden is old but he is surrounded by largely decent people which can't be said about any Republican candidate, let alone Trump.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I can see gavin newsom being successor to biden

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly there is no way he will get more votes than last time.  I think Trump getting the nomination is the best scenario for the Dems.  Yes Biden is old but he is surrounded by largely decent people which can't be said about any Republican candidate, let alone Trump.

I still hope -- against hope -- that Republicans do come to their senses and get behind some of the decent candidates they have. The sooner Trump is off the ballot, the better. Nikki Haley and Chris Christie would both beat Biden, I believe, and while I'd prefer Biden by far to them, neither is unacceptable or unfit to serve. DeSantis and Ramaswamy are nothing but Mini-Trumps, spewing the same undemocratic politics of resentment as Trump. But I know the GOP at the grassroots level very well, and here's what I can tell you: They have truly ruined their party by obeisance to Trump. You can't just walk back where they've taken their party. I think the GOP is as weak at the grassroots level as I've ever seen it. The enthusiasm is shriveling. 

Hands down, Nikki Haley won the first GOP debate. And I don’t say this just because she’s a South Carolinian or because she was the only woman among the fiery pack of primary candidates. She was simply smarter (even smarter than you, Vivek), more sensible and more experienced — and it showed. ... While the men onstage argued and hurled invectives — some of them, anyway — Haley was poised, precise and prepared. And I would add brave. It took courage to do what others, with the exception of former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, refused to do: speak truth to Donald Trump’s power.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I still hope -- against hope -- that Republicans do come to their senses and get behind some of the decent candidates they have. The sooner Trump is off the ballot, the better. Nikki Haley and Chris Christie would both beat Biden, I believe, and while I'd prefer Biden by far to them, neither is unacceptable or unfit to serve. DeSantis and Ramaswamy are nothing but Mini-Trumps, spewing the same undemocratic politics of resentment as Trump. But I know the GOP at the grassroots level very well, and here's what I can tell you: They have truly ruined their party by obeisance to Trump. You can't just walk back where they've taken their party. I think the GOP is as weak at the grassroots level as I've ever seen it. The enthusiasm is shriveling. 

De santis is probably the only person thats probably worse than trump. He seems like  utter clown

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Â