U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

As long as him going down doesn't galvanise them and turn him more into a messiah like figure.

Part of me would prefer he runs and is just utterly humiliated, with that being the nail in the coffin for his movement. 

Stopping whoever will come next too.

If he is on the Ballot there is a good chance Putin interferes somehow as in 2016. Putin wants to end Aestern leadership in global affairs. He is an enemy of our democracies.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Obama-apppointed judge. A scathing indictment. A D.C. jury should be good for a conviction. 

A bit refreshing to see someone who knows more than a modicum about US politics here.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

For all our sakes we need Trump to go down and for his cult followers to wake up. Trump returned equals Fascism in America and PutinFascism rampant in Europe.

That is absolutely not going to happen regardless.  Trump right now could murder babies live on television and there would be no less support from his insane followers.

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Part of me would prefer he runs and is just utterly humiliated, with that being the nail in the coffin for his movement. 

yeah, I think that would be better.....but if he wins.....

I'd really like to see some extensive opinion polls about voting intention Dem v GOP

USA has had its credit rating downgraded by Fitch.  In reality it's nothing, we lost our top rating ages ago.  it's hard to see how many nations could keep a top rating in the current world, but I expect Biden will get an absolute bashing over it.

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah if the jury is just from DC then surely Trump is screwed? He got less than 6% of the vote in the 2020 election.

Think I’d prefer it not to be from such an anti-Trump location. A DC jury just reinforces the divide. A Florida jury convicting (presuming they assess the case on evidence rather than partisan lines, which I know is a big ask) would surely mean they couldn’t just claim lefty bias and continue the polarising culture wars. 

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

Think I’d prefer it not to be from such an anti-Trump location. A DC jury just reinforces the divide. A Florida jury convicting (presuming they assess the case on evidence rather than partisan lines, which I know is a big ask) would surely mean they couldn’t just claim lefty bias and continue the polarising culture wars. 

But this particular Trump crime happened in DC not Florida

Just now, bickster said:

But this particular Trump crime happened in DC not Florida

I get that. It was more general comment that a conviction from DC would land very different to one from a Trumpist heartland. If he’s going down, I’m delighted (kw.gif) but I fear this happening in DC will further entrench the view that he’s been victimised by those goshdarned liberal work leftist anteefa mob. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, choffer said:

I get that. It was more general comment that a conviction from DC would land very different to one from a Trumpist heartland. If he’s going down, I’m delighted (kw.gif) but I fear this happening in DC will further entrench the view that he’s been victimised by those goshdarned liberal work leftist anteefa mob. 

If it was held in a red state he would be found innocent. 2024 is going to be interesting/hellish.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Not so fast, there are some very well informed non-American posters in this topic! 

Yeah sorry tbf last few ones have been pretty great.

• Like 1

Trump is a piece of shit, even after being warned by the judge can’t help himself by more stoking of the fire of division. Pushing the narrative it’s all political, and democracy is at stake. One of his mental supporters will do something crazy at some point.

• Like 1

Â