West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

42 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

West Brom's owners going all Derby County. They've put the stadium up as security against a loan they've taken.

The government need to do something to stop this kind of behaviour, but Tories gonna Tory.

I don't know if the government should prevent a private business from not doing well. At the end of the day, that's what's happening.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

West Brom's owners going all Derby County. They've put the stadium up as security against a loan they've taken.

The government need to do something to stop this kind of behaviour, but Tories gonna Tory.

Whats the government got to do with it? Its the football authorities that need to be stopping this shit

West brom looking like a dark horse for play offs now

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats the government got to do with it? Its the football authorities that need to be stopping this shit

West brom looking like a dark horse for play offs now

They control who is allowed to buy businesses and what they're allowed to do with them.

Football clubs aren't normal businesses. They're part of their local communities and history. They shouldn't be subject to the normal rules of business. If someone came in and decided to asset strip Tesco I'm sure their staff would be upset but at the end of the day I can shop anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I don't know if the government should prevent a private business from not doing well. At the end of the day, that's what's happening.

We've done this before, and the conclusion of the recent government report into the football industry was (correctly IMO) that football clubs are not simply 'private businesses' but vital community assets. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We've done this before, and the conclusion of the recent government report into the football industry was (correctly IMO) that football clubs are not simply 'private businesses' but vital community assets. 

I disagree with such a conclusion - but feel sorry for the fans and employees who suffer through club mismanagement. 

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Security for £12.58 max then, shit hole

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I disagree with such a conclusion - but feel sorry for the fans and employees who suffer through club mismanagement. 

Fair enough. Not that it matters particularly - you're entitled to any opinion you want - but I think the conclusion was very widely welcomed among English football fans and represents how the vast majority of fans feel about the role of clubs. 

• Like 1

FWIW, while that was the conclusion of the Crouch Report, it was in no way binding, and we've had god knows how many ministers through the revolving doors since then, so god knows if anything will ever actually come of it.

Edited by Davkaus

16 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Genuinely really interested to hear why you disagree? 

Because while I understand that clubs have fans - and that is what the foundation of the 'common good' argument is, they are owned by private investors who are in it for commercial success.

Club Support/Community feel are all a bit vague and unmeasurable - the cold fact is NSWE are putting their money in to have a smooth running product rather. I think that the government coming in to say 'stadium which you use as your business venue can or cannot be used in such a way' goes against their ownership rights which are, well, rights. 

If Tesco owners decide to close/relocate one of the local shops, even though it's an important community centre, well, it is what it is. 

We are lucky as we have good owners and I understand the 'feeling' of clubs being a community good. And I should underline, don't particularly like my point of view. I just think that's what the bottom line is.

But it's not a hill I'm gonna die on. I fully appreciate that football is a bit more that the bottom line. 

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

FWIW, while that was the conclusion of the Crouch Report, it was in no way binding, and we've had god knows how many ministers through the revolving doors since then, so god knows if anything will ever actually come of it.

Yes, that is true, though *in theory* the government are still committed to implementing the recommendations (as in, they said they would at the time, and haven't explicitly taken that back). 

5 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

They control who is allowed to buy businesses and what they're allowed to do with them.

Football clubs aren't normal businesses. They're part of their local communities and history. They shouldn't be subject to the normal rules of business. If someone came in and decided to asset strip Tesco I'm sure their staff would be upset but at the end of the day I can shop anywhere.

So whats the point of having the EFL and premier league fa etc if everything that goes wrong in the game we want the government to get involved?

Lets not forget what a complete mess the country is in would you trust them?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Because while I understand that clubs have fans - and that is what the foundation of the 'common good' argument is, they are owned by private investors who are in it for commercial success.

Club Support/Community feel are all a bit vague and unmeasurable - the cold fact is NSWE are putting their money in to have a smooth running product rather. I think that the government coming in to say 'stadium which you use as your business venue can or cannot be used in such a way' goes against their ownership rights which are, well, rights. 

If Tesco owners decide to close/relocate one of the local shops, even though it's an important community centre, well, it is what it is. 

We are lucky as we have good owners and I understand the 'feeling' of clubs being a community good. And I should underline, don't particularly like my point of view. I just think that's what the bottom line is.

But it's not a hill I'm gonna die on. I fully appreciate that football is a bit more that the bottom line. 

What about the rights of the people whose families have built the club by supporting it for generations? Do they not have rights to a club to support or are you happy to just call them customers?

We’re quite happy to tell people who buy a listed building what they can and can’t do with it. It’s the price you pay to own something with that kind of history and local significance. I don’t see this as anything different.

On 04/01/2023 at 12:15, Demitri_C said:

So whats the point of having the EFL and premier league fa etc if everything that goes wrong in the game we want the government to get involved?

Lets not forget what a complete mess the country is in would you trust them?

Couldn't agree more, Demitri. I trust government with some things, but a free press and the court of public opinion and sports-association-based regulations should be more than enough for football, IMHO, and if not, we need to look at how those stakeholders can reform their approach. Owners need to be vetted more thoroughly, obviously, but not by government. There are better means. Leave government for more frankly important tasks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Couldn't agree more, Demitri. I trust government with some things, but a free press and the court of public opinion and sports-association-based regulations should be more than enough for football, IMHO, and if not, we need to look at how those stakeholders can reform their approach. Owners need to be vetted more thoroughly, obviously, but not by government. There are better means. Leave government for more frankly important tasks. 

Probably worth reminding ourselves here that football is an export industry and one of the UK's best sources of soft power. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2023 at 11:32, Mic09 said:

feel sorry for the fans and employees who suffer through club mismanagement. 

I can understand feeling sorry for the employees, but the fans? 

Nah, **** them, stripey turds. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Â