January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

3 goals in 21 for Inter, but we'll let him off because he's only a kid (20) and clearly has room to grow.

Im just a bit puzzled as to how people are raving about him, when he's been nothing but a bit part player since coming to Europe. I will confess to not having watched him play, but as he's only played five games this season I dont suppose Im on my own.

So whats the big deal? At 10m Euros he seems the right kind of price, assuming he is really worth "wetting your pants over", or whatever the saying is. is it just because he's a Brazilian playing (occasionally) for inter? Does that make him brilliant by default?

iirc he was brilliant in his 1st year and then almost disappeared, went out on loan to espanyol, did nothing special and the fuss over him has died down

those saying "no chance" i dont see why not, he's no longer inter's future, he hardly plays

i think 10m would be a bit of a gamble IMHO we would be better off going for a loan with a set future fee

• Like 1

Right, but Gareth Bale is an interesting case isnt he, because for his first, 2 years at Spurs he was a total joke player. Everyone used to really take the piss. He played 24 games for Spurs in those 2 years without ending up on the winning side even once. I can imagine that Spurs fans were thinking at the time that was £7m totally down the toilet.

BUt, the key thing I guess is that at the time he was a teenager, and teenagers with talent will grow if given time and nurturing. So I guess those writing off Lambert's kids after a few months might like to look to the example of Gareth Bale. if you spend decent money on decent prospects there is always a good chance you will end of with a prized asset as long as you handle him right

Firstly, i don't see many people writing them off. What i and others have said is that they clearly have potential but we need players who can have an impact on the team right now. Buying another batch of bennets, lowtons and westwoods in this window will be a gamble IMO.

Also while bale turned out to be great i'm sure there are a lot more highly regarded young players from the lower leagues who go on to be very average or poor players. I'd say that happens more than them turning into gareth bale types.

Now a lot of teams find the odd gem from the lower leagues but i don't see any teams buying the amount we currrently are. Why is that? If its so good, so cheap and the right approach why are we the only team going down this road?

We need more benteke type signings to go along with any young potential we may sign.

Can we please stop calling grown men in their mid 20's "kids" and "youngsters"!

Bannan, Delph and Albrighton... are not kids, Lowton and Westwood are not kids

Agree - 100% - by way of comparison Balotteli is 22 - yes I know he is a lunatic - but look at his level of performance.

There can be an adjustment period - but on the wole those players mentioned above will perform at much the same level next season.

I agree with this ^^

For me this club is potentially huge. Our main problems in my opinion are:

1. Unlike the other "large" clubs, since we won the big one way back in 82 we have been run with a distinct lack of vision.

2. The surrounding area in Aston has plummeted & the majority of the local population hold no interest in the support or otherwise of the club which to me has an impact. For me the whole region needs redeveloping in a Man City esque style or the club moving somewhere where it is appreciated although i do of course understand that this would be heavily opposed by many & a very controversial action. My view is that desperate times call for desperate measures & although Villa Park is of course a magical & very special place for me personally, if it meant the sleeping giant finally awakening i would go for it. Surely any massive club has to have it's own neighborhood behind it? This would surely add some of the missing numbers to the attendances? & indeed maybe in part the reason we struggle to fill the stadium?.. Most people who go to Villa Park have a journey of sorts which adds to cost & time etc etc... This ultimately has to have an impact in times of recession such as the one we are in at present?

3. The main thing though is surely the depressing transfer policy this club has had for several seasons now. Even under MON we bought quite dull "Mr average" players rather than players who got your pulses racing & for me this is where the club has erred spectacularly... We have a reduced wage bill matched by reduced excitement levels resulting now in reduced attendances & poor results.. it is a downward spiral & it needs to be reversed. The fun has been strangled out of a visit to Villa Park & we need that back too...

So over to you Mr Lerner & Paul x 2

Time to have a new vision, give the fans something to be excited about once more & over time this club can indeed be great once again... The fans are there make no mistake but they need to be sold the club again, to get excited about matchday again & this can only be done by getting it right on the pitch & attracting some decent & exciting players here. Villa fans are proud of their club & this last 3 years has been frankly highly embarrassing.

Very much agree with point 3. We seem to always steer clear of exciting signings. Fans need players to get excited about which will gets bums on seats, get the atmosphere going and get us back up the table. I actually think Merson was the last genuinely exciting player we had down at VP.

Totally agree, need to be careful with our words here! But the neighbourhood is a big problem in Aston. I would be shocked if 10% of the locals are even interested in the Villa never mind go. This was different 30 years ago. Its great with the likes of Manchester, Liverplop where the locals are all big big fans. Ohh, how times change!

Garth Bale and Theo Walcott are still only 23. They are the same age as a lot of our "youngsters".

Spurs and Arsenal spent big money on prodigious teenagers and it has payed dividends. We have spent average money on mediocre players in their early twenties.

There is not a comparison to be made between those signings and ours.

Very much agree with point 3. We seem to always steer clear of exciting signings. Fans need players to get excited about which will gets bums on seats, get the atmosphere going and get us back up the table. I actually think Merson was the last genuinely exciting player we had down at VP.

Yup i agree, i think Ginola thou clearly past it was kinda exciting at first and that Ashley Young not spectacular when we signed him turned out to be a sparkling player.

The last signing that really stod out for me was Luc Nilis, he's one of my all time favourite players and he could have been magical for us

3 goals in 21 for Inter, but we'll let him off because he's only a kid (20) and clearly has room to grow.

Im just a bit puzzled as to how people are raving about him, when he's been nothing but a bit part player since coming to Europe. I will confess to not having watched him play, but as he's only played five games this season I dont suppose Im on my own.

So whats the big deal? At 10m Euros he seems the right kind of price, assuming he is really worth "wetting your pants over", or whatever the saying is. is it just because he's a Brazilian playing (occasionally) for inter? Does that make him brilliant by default?

Go and take a look at the guy on Youtube (yeah I know...) If that doesn't look like exactly the sort of player Villa have been missing for the last God knows how long then I don't know who is. He has more talent in his left bollock than the rest of our squad put together. Amazing technique, scores from free kicks, gets fans excited and attendances up, sells shirts.

No, we definitely don't need a player like this ;)

Edited by onje_villa

Fulham in talks with Butland

We should have gone for him

He isn't better than Guzan at this moment in time and we don't have that sort of money to spend on squad players or one's for the future.

Besides which the Fulham keeper who's name I can't spell is past his best so Butland will likely be offered a starting position there.

All in all not right for us.

Totally agree, need to be careful with our words here! But the neighbourhood is a big problem in Aston. I would be shocked if 10% of the locals are even interested in the Villa never mind go. This was different 30 years ago. Its great with the likes of Manchester, Liverplop where the locals are all big big fans. Ohh, how times change!

Ive been going down the villa since the early 70's. The locals weren't going then. - Bit of non issue for me.