January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

When we were under McLeish and had just been selling our best players, year after year.

We are (slowly) starting to look to re-build now. And have a good manager in Lambert, unlike last year. Not to mention that we've brought in one of our best players, in Vlaar.

IMO

Just because he supposedly turned us down last year, doesn't mean he would if Lambert tried in Jan/ Summer.

No supposedly about it.

I totally agree with you about how we look and the rebuild. We have to find the next Wanyama, because there's no way he is in our range as things stand.

I have just done a Google search on Wanyama and Villa, and there is an article on the beeb saying he turned us down to win trophies for Celtic and to play in Europe, as we don't look likely to be doing either anytime soon I would say Villan_007 is correct.

We need to find a similar type of player, but I think that particular player is unlikely. Hopefully the new German Scout can help us unearth some similar up and coming players who want to play for us.

'no way' ?

I don't see why you're so sure of this.

Whilst no way is extreme... It is very very unlikely to happen... Celtic have just qualified for the next stage of the champions league and will probably win trophies this season... Why would he give that up to join us in January?

I love the idea of Jozy Altidore as a player who can hold the ball up top and he has a great goal scoring record at AZ. He's also only 23. Haven't heard anything about it but would be great, American biases aside ^_^

Said this before I think, but I would hate having Jozy here. I just don't believe he has the intangibles to play in the big leagues. He is certainly big and fast enough, but I don't think he has what you need between the ears to be a big time player.

the only indication i can see of a midfielder coming in is if a current player leaves, like for like, i cant see him wanting another DM as hes just bought KEA and westwood

defence is the area that needs work in january with maybe another striker if (dare i say it) bent leaves, which if he does, itll probably be back to london

I think it is likely to be a busy January, on the basis of the summer Lambert isn't shy of doing a deal and moves quickly for his targets.

If money is available then I expect action and quite early in the window, I also think he will be looking to shift a body or two and that will beyond the obvious potential for the exit of Bent.

Lambert just strikes me as a man who doesn't procrastinate ala O'Neill, obviously January is tricky to do business but I've a strong feeling we will be active in the market.

*that was the only issue with oneill the fact he would wait till the last minute to sign a player, which by then his main target would go to another club so we would have to settle for his second or even third choice, which of course, werent the best, he was too 'nice' to other clubs in letting them have the pick of the better available players

Despite results being disappointing so far under Lambert, I think the one positive is that they will have surprised him and therefore spring him into life in doing plenty of business in January.

Although it's admittedly not as good as the Summer window for signing players, having looked back over the last January window quality such as Gylfi Sigurdsson, Landon Donovan, Pavel Pogrebnyak not to mention our own Robbie Keane came into the league on loan. On permanent deals quality such as Papiss Cisse and Nikica Jelavic came in. This is where our new head of scouting, Henke will earn his money.

Would love a DM along the lines of Guilavogui from Saint Ettiene, maybe out of our league but Capoue or Moussa Sissoko would literally show we mean business!! Josh Guilavogui is class though!!!! Would be very happy with him! Hopefully Henke will be earning his money this jan!

Would love a DM along the lines of Guilavogui from Saint Ettiene, maybe out of our league but Capoue or Moussa Sissoko would literally show we mean business!! Josh Guilavogui is class though!!!! Would be very happy with him! Hopefully Henke will be earning his money this jan!

Yeah I mentioned those three a couple of weeks back. The latter two would be very ambitious but we could certainly improve their wages, so I think it would just depend on whether there would be much competition for their signatures. The French league is definitely the place to look for the type of CDM we need. Then get Aaron Hunt from Werder to play CAM and we are set.

*that was the only issue with oneill the fact he would wait till the last minute to sign a player, which by then his main target would go to another club so we would have to settle for his second or even third choice, which of course, werent the best, he was too 'nice' to other clubs in letting them have the pick of the better available players

It was the only issue with Oneill?

yes, hes still a very good manager, we all raved about him when he arrived, hes only issue was his selections, which of course can be lead back to the transfers

although theres been stories of him being a slight recluse and not mingling with the players

He seems to have a bit of size about him, which we need. How much would he cost?

I think it is likely to be a busy January, on the basis of the summer Lambert isn't shy of doing a deal and moves quickly for his targets.

If money is available then I expect action and quite early in the window, I also think he will be looking to shift a body or two and that will beyond the obvious potential for the exit of Bent.

Lambert just strikes me as a man who doesn't procrastinate ala O'Neill, obviously January is tricky to do business but I've a strong feeling we will be active in the market.

i think you are totally correct

I flicked the channels here in Germany yesterday and stopped at Stuttgart against Molde, there's several players in that Molde side that I would love for us to buy. Vegard Forren is one of these, as Everton reportedly have to sell before they can afford him. He litterally held Stuttgart by himself and showed great commitment. The other player I'd like us to buy is Magnus Eikrem, the kid's a little genius. He also looks like Voldemort! Anyhow, he plays the holding role a bit like Alonso, sprays balls around with no effort at all. 97% passing accuracy yesterday alone. Lastly there's Jo Inge Berget (also a newcastle target), great player, good shot, good physicality and good technique. All these players are under 25 years of age, but seasoned and blooded in Europe and on international level.

Sign em up Lambo!

I flicked the channels here in Germany yesterday and stopped at Stuttgart against Copenhagen, there's several players in that Molde side that I would love for us to buy. Vegard Forren is one of these, as Everton reportedly have to sell before they can afford him. He litterally held Stuttgart by himself and showed great commitment. The other player I'd like us to buy is Magnus Eikrem, the kid's a little genius. He also looks like Voldemort! Anyhow, he plays the holding role a bit like Alonso, sprays balls around with no effort at all. 97% passing accuracy yesterday alone. Lastly there's Jo Inge Berget (also a newcastle target), great player, good shot, good physicality and good technique. All these players are under 25 years of age, but seasoned and blooded in Europe and on international level.

Sign em up Lambo!

I second that, but the general consensus in this forum seem to be that players in the Scandinavian leagues are useless and can not adapt to the PL, while league 2 players with no international or european experience are a no risk failsafe way to go.

• Like 1