Ron Saunders - 80 today

smetrov

Yep the greatest villa manager in my lifetime is 80 today. His achievements taking us from mid table div 2 - to league champions - with a couple of league cups thrown in, will IMO not be repeated in my lifetime.

I wonder what he thinks of the modern game - with its namby pamby squad rotation, glove wearing players, and players gamboling all over the place.

Happy Birthday (Sir) Ron ....and thanks for the memories.

Wonder would he fancy coming out of retirement for a season or two? Could be doing with him now.

was it really needed? its a thread about a managerial great and club legend. no need to snipe at current regime

Happy Birthday Dean...

Sorry... Ron...

Well, you can't be overly romantic - he nearly cost us the European Cup when it was still a trophy for real, genuine CHAMPIONS... Not 4th place also rans clinging on desperately to UEFA's gluttonous gravy train. Oooh, I sound a little bitter and jealous. Well maybe I am.

Happy Birthday to you Sir Ron, of Saunders... and B6. Not that other place on the other side of the railway.

• Like 1

Ron Saunders was before my time as a Villa fan. From what I've heard he could be a little abrupt with people/media. Does anyone think there are similarities between Ron and our current manager?

Ron Saunders was before my time as a Villa fan. From what I've heard he could be a little abrupt with people/media. Does anyone think there are similarities between Ron and our current manager?

They've both managed Norwich and Villa.

Saunders did well with Norwich, won the second division to get them promoted to the top league for the first time and did resign after an argument with the board. :D

At Villa, both of them assembled teams with no big names but seemingly players with hunger and a desire to work hard.

Mortimer, Morley, Shaw, Withe, Spink, Sid (Ok Saunders didn't buy all these players) --- Vlaar, Westwood, Bowery, Benteke, Guzan, El Ahmadi? :D

Saunders won the league cup in his first season, Lambert still has a chance of doing this.

Maybe Lambert can do with N'Zogbia/Albrighton what Saunders did with Morley? :)

We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Â