Ashley Young

maqroll

1st game that showed youngs age. He was still very good ans been excellent for us. But cant rely on young starting back to back games next season if you have ambitious for europe.

For me id give young a contract in the coaching for the youngsters

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Young also drew both yellow cards out of Dewsbury-Hall and a less experienced fullback  may not have been so wily, so swings and roundabouts?

Harry Kane goes down clutching his face after being pushed in it by Doucoure = cheat, scum.  Trying to get others sent off.

Ashley Young goes down clutching his ankle after barely being touched by Dewsbury-Hall = clever play, well done experienced full back.

It's a funny old game :D   (Not saying this is your opinion, there's just no criticism of it).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sometimes you have to step back and applaud a brilliant goal. Wasn't his fault, maybe he could have fouled him outside of the area.

That's it. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit's due about the brilliant touch and strike and not beat up the defender

• Like 2

I've watched that Barnes goal alot. It gets better the more you do so! Think it's a goal of the season contender tbh. First touch at that pace was sick...seamless transition from air to ground with a brilliant finish.

Edited by birdman
  • Like 1

He's doing a brilliant job right now. The goal last night as people have said is just one of those things - was a pinpoint ball from Faes and a perfect first touch from Barnes who ultimately is just faster than Young so there's not much he could do. Otherwise he's generally been quite solid up against much younger, tricky wingers. His numbers in terms of winning duels and not getting dribbled past and so forth are what you'd want to see from any full back at the top level, never mind one of his age. He was otherwise perfectly solid last night, basically pocketed Gnonto earlier in the season etc, no doubt he can be improved upon at this stage but he's extremely dependable and offers so much to the team, he's such a re-assuring presence and one I'd love to see kept around in whatever capacity possible beyond this season.

12 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He's doing a brilliant job right now. The goal last night as people have said is just one of those things - was a pinpoint ball from Faes and a perfect first touch from Barnes who ultimately is just faster than Young so there's not much he could do. Otherwise he's generally been quite solid up against much younger, tricky wingers. His numbers in terms of winning duels and not getting dribbled past and so forth are what you'd want to see from any full back at the top level, never mind one of his age. He was otherwise perfectly solid last night, basically pocketed Gnonto earlier in the season etc, no doubt he can be improved upon at this stage but he's extremely dependable and offers so much to the team, he's such a re-assuring presence and one I'd love to see kept around in whatever capacity possible beyond this season.

Yeah my Leeds supporting mate who I meet up with for a beer most Saturdays was filthy said we kicked them off the park which I found hilarious from Leeds fan, and he was mostly talking about Young on Gnonto

On 05/04/2023 at 01:06, FLVillan said:

Some on social media giving Ashley Young pelters for their goal (saying he's too old blah, blah, blah).  Perspective here, Barnes' first touch was probably the best first touch he's ever produced in his career and would've skinned any fullback in the world.  Literally took a touch inside that was perfectly weighted so he could accelerate into the space.  Ditto for the placement of his shot - the only place he could've put it where no keeper can save it.  

IMHO Young was excellent today against a very good player.   

Agree.

That was a good performance from Young. No less than a 7/10.

Done by an incredible goal, and one weird 50p header he got totally wrong. Otherwise he was faultless.

• Like 1

Bloke is class. 

I was in the Holte years ago when he got abuse all game vs Utd. You could see during that game it got to him, there was a point where he could of took a quick throw but bailed out of it. 

To come back and do what he's doing, is mental really. 

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Bloke is class. 

I was in the Holte years ago when he got abuse all game vs Utd. You could see during that game it got to him, there was a point where he could of took a quick throw but bailed out of it. 

To come back and do what he's doing, is mental really. 

Was that the game where Gabby got sent off in the first half and the Holte chanted Ashley Young is a rocket polisher for about 60 mins?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starscrem_Prime said:

Was that the game where Gabby got sent off in the first half and the Holte chanted Ashley Young is a rocket polisher for about 60 mins?

Yep, that's the one 😂

He went for a 50-50 with Gabby and went down like he'd had his head kicked off. 

Someone let this man rest!

He has to be tired teaching all these young phenom wingers how to do it. 

Can imagine him just giving it to Gordon, Mudryk, Gnoto - “Step back, I’ve done everything you’re trying much better than you.”

• Like 1

Â