Media and punditry

BOF

Not sure who the guy is with Lee Hendrie on SSN. But asked if the Villa can finish above Spurs, he replied "Watching Villa against Man City they just looked stronger". Obviously ain't watched us lately, gladly Hendrie put him right. 😂

If a game has ended 4-4 between anyone, that will probably be the first up. 

Then its between the Villa game and the Spurs game for second spot.

Taking the Villa specs off, I’d be tempted to put Spurs on before as it’s a bit more dramatic and it features two high profile sides while the Villa game is a rout and has one bigger side and one side making a swift departure from the league. I’d go -

1 Saudi game 

2 Spurs being spursy game 

3 Villa not ruining my weekend game

4 The “explain why this is a rivalry again?” game

5 Burnley 2-2 Fulham game (a bit unfair that this is last, but not much I can do)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Genuine top 4 challengers  5-0 game, an we are not on MOtD first. Shit me, if it was any of the 'big 4' they defo be on first.

You're dreaming. The game was over after 20 minutes, there was zero jeporady or drama.

If Arsenal, City or Liverpool did that, they wouldn't be first either.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You're dreaming. The game was over after 20 minutes, there was zero jeporady or drama.

If Arsenal, City or Liverpool did that, they wouldn't be first either.

we were probably the most boring game of the day

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Disappointed that the commentator said that’s a “thumper” from Tielemans when he clearly could’ve called it a “thunder bastard”, but I’m nitpicking. 7 on 10.

My eldest son said the same with his variant called ‘thundercunt’ 

• Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68197575

So, after today's result the BBC chief football writer, Phil McNulty led his match report with the following headline.

Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: 'Arsenal have placed themselves at heart of three-way title race'

I know the odds of us winning the league are the lowest out of the usual runners and riders but we are most definitely in the mix and have been all season.

So much for unbiased and impartial journalism... 

Odegaard was continually getting called Martinelli by Peter Drury. i think everytime he had the ball he wanted to call him Martin Odegaard instead of Odegaard for some sort of dramatic effect

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

So, after today's result the BBC chief football writer, Phil McNulty led his match report with the following headline.

Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: 'Arsenal have placed themselves at heart of three-way title race'

I know the odds of us winning the league are the lowest out of the usual runners and riders but we are most definitely in the mix and have been all season.

I understand the impulse to feel annoyed about this, but at the end of the day you won't find really any unbiased (ie, non-fans) pundits/experts/blowhards who will tip either us or Spurs to actually win it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

The most egregious thing about that article is that they include Man United in the "top of the table" image,  despite getting 6 points behind Spurs and having no chance of winning the league. If we were 6th with that total we are not being included in that graphic.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I understand the impulse to feel annoyed about this, but at the end of the day you won't find really any unbiased (ie, non-fans) pundits/experts/blowhards who will tip either us or Spurs to actually win it. 

I agree. Getting ready for the next phase though where spurs are included in the discussion and we aren’t. If we’d not won against sheff united then I’m almost certain that would have been the narrative. ATM were acting as a boundary line: anyone above Villa is in a title race; anyone below Villa is in a Europe race. We could be joint on points with 3rd and 10 points above 5th and that would still be the narrative 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I acknowledge we’re not likely to win the league but we’re far from out of the running as there’s still a lot to play for.

we’re being written out of the narrative despite there being 15 games to play including games against the three teams ahead of us (two of which we beat earlier in the season!)

if there were five games left, maybe narrow down the runners and riders but there’s a hell of a lot of football to be played yet. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I acknowledge we’re not likely to win the league but we’re far from out of the running as there’s still a lot to play for.

we’re being written out of the narrative despite there being 15 games to play including games against the three teams ahead of us (two of which we beat earlier in the season!)

if there were five games left, maybe narrow down the runners and riders but there’s a hell of a lot of football to be played yet. 

We wont win the league but it is incredibly disrepectful especially when teams like United, Newcastle and Chelsea get more air time in there bid for a top 4 finish 😂

• Like 2

We're 5 points off Liverpool in 1st who have an 11 goal better goal difference than us. Realistically it will be very hard to make that up seeing as though they and Arsenal are both averaging nearly 2.2 points per game.

City are being included as they have 2 games in hand and realistically are likely to be at least 4 points (if not 6) above us once they've caught up.

To win the league we would need to out perform all 3 of these clubs over the next 15 games and this was our first 'challenge' in over a decade.

I think it's fair for the media to not involve us when talking about the title race. I've not seen Spurs fans annoyed that the media isn't saying they could win it.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We're 5 points off Liverpool in 1st who have an 11 goal better goal difference than us. Realistically it will be very hard to make that up seeing as though they and Arsenal are both averaging nearly 2.2 points per game.

City are being included as they have 2 games in hand and realistically are likely to be at least 4 points (if not 6) above us once they've caught up.

To win the league we would need to out perform all 3 of these clubs over the next 15 games and this was our first 'challenge' in over a decade.

I think it's fair for the media to not involve us when talking about the title race. I've not seen Spurs fans annoyed that the media isn't saying they could win it.

If City didn't have 2 games in hand they would still be included

Â