Media and punditry

BOF

Allison is a superior keeper to Ederson and had been one of the best in the league since he signed though some Liverpool fans have been critical of him this season

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's levels above Ederson.

If Ederson was playing for West Ham, he'd be found out. He simply doesn't have to make many saves.

Yep.

Not very tech savvy to format on here, but here's some numbers between the 2 over last eason and this season that back up my eye test anyway

Alisson has to save a lot more, interestingly only 4 keepers made more saves last season. Also among the save % leaders in that period, including 1st this season - Ederson very bottom end for the last 18 months on both. Alisson also saves more than he should, last season's +10.1 is even more absurd when you consider only 2 keepers got over +5.0. Better sweeper keeper by a distance as well.

Unsurprisingly Ederson's distribution is better over distance, which is why he's Pep's keeper as he values this highly. Short and medium passing are essentially the same.

Personally don't rate Ederson at all. I think there's a bigger argument as to whether he's in the top 10 in the PL as there is to whether he's the best.

image.thumb.png.89dc58e8c4086268af2bd9f6f5e3ca8f.png

EDIT: Ederson's PSxG this eason should be -2.3, not 23.

(PSxG = Post shot expected goals - how many more/less goals you concede than you should based on the shots you face
DOA = Defensive actions outside area - sweeper keeper stuff - Emi is 1st this year for perspective)

Edited by kurtsimonw

22 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Anyone who picks a team of the season so far, and doesn't include Kamara, needs a good slap to the head. His performance against Middlesbrough was a thing of beauty, the sliding tackle and the ability to come away with the ball, all in one movement, Sid Cowans would have been proud of that one. It was no coincidence that Luiz's performances seemed to be affected by the absence of BK, hence he also looked full of confidence when coming on Saturday. 

The fact he's still only 24 makes you think just how good he will be in his prime, you would be hard - pressed to find a similar defensive midfielder with a better footballing IQ.

I keep saying to all my mates (villa and non villa) that Kamara must be one of the most underrated players in the league. Most football fans who aren't villa fans probably don't even know who he is.

Last game of last season I watched it in the pub with some friends, one of whom is a Liverpool fan. Proper football fan, knows his stuff. But he genueinly didn't know who Kamara was when I brought him up.

I'm not sure about team of the season, but I do agree that he's massively overlooked in non-villa circles. As you say, Luiz gets all the plaudits, but it's Kamara's performances that have enabled Luiz to play with more freedom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I would question if he is the best keeper in his country, he is most definitely not the best in his league, and he surely isn't the best in the world. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's levels above Ederson.

If Ederson was playing for West Ham, he'd be found out. He simply doesn't have to make many saves.

Ederson is a brilliant keeper, but he certainly isn't better than Allison. 

Had Radio5 on in the car earlier.

It was like the **** Trent Alexander Arnold show. He’s **** injured, boo hoo fooking hoo

Get over it.

Edited by rjw63
I hate this phone

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I keep saying to all my mates (villa and non villa) that Kamara must be one of the most underrated players in the league. Most football fans who aren't villa fans probably don't even know who he is.

Last game of last season I watched it in the pub with some friends, one of whom is a Liverpool fan. Proper football fan, knows his stuff. But he genueinly didn't know who Kamara was when I brought him up.

I'm not sure about team of the season, but I do agree that he's massively overlooked in non-villa circles. As you say, Luiz gets all the plaudits, but it's Kamara's performances that have enabled Luiz to play with more freedom

Absolutely spot - on. It's kind of to our advantage that he does go a bit unnoticed, if I had to pick one player in that team, aside from Martinez, who I thought was irreplaceable, it would be BK, without doubt. The same way it was a pleasure to watch Paul McGrath exemplify the art of defending, ditto, BK as a defensive midfielder. You always know a great player, by the sense of shock you feel when he makes a mistake. I never get nervous when he's under pressure because he's already anticipated it and nine times out of ten he gets it right. 

My favourite player by far, definitely on the verge of becoming World class. Once his presence becomes less low - key, then a lot of people are going to start taking notice.

Give Gerrard credit for that one. 

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Absolutely spot - on. It's kind of to our advantage that he does go a bit unnoticed, if I had to pick one player in that team, aside from Martinez, who I thought was irreplaceable, it would be BK, without doubt. The same way it was a pleasure to watch Paul McGrath exemplify the art of defending, ditto, BK as a defensive midfielder. You always know a great player, by the sense of shock you feel when he makes a mistake. I never get nervous when he's under pressure because he's already anticipated it and nine times out of ten he gets it right. 

My favourite player by far, definitely on the verge of becoming World class. Once his presence becomes less low - key, then a lot of people are going to start taking notice.

Give Gerrard credit for that one. 

The funny thing is if someone like arsenal did drop £70m on Douglas Luiz they’d probably play him as a DM and wonder why he suddenly wasn’t as good again

• Like 1

On the BBC sport football page right now, the only mention Villa get, despite being 2nd in the league, is in the league table at the bottom of the page. No articles, no emery talk, nothing. We're invisible to the media lol. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Reminds me of that 'worst careers in sports punditry' meme. 'Finished 16th in 2000 US Open golf' etc. Andrew Castle was on there with 'Reached 3rd round of Queen's Club 1986'

4 hours ago, Mister_a said:

On the BBC sport football page right now, the only mention Villa get, despite being 2nd in the league, is in the league table at the bottom of the page. No articles, no emery talk, nothing. We're invisible to the media lol. 

Why would we be today? Not many teams are mentioned

• Like 1

Given the only story the club could plausibly be in the media for today is a deeply embarrassing one about what a shambles the new CEO is making of things, the club is better off not being mentioned. 

BBC making a big deal about Kane scoring in a tribute night to Beckenbauer

Was a 93rd minute goal in a very comfortable 3-0 win

Another English player actually scored twice and ignored

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Another English player actually scored twice and ignored

Musiala isn't English. He has 25 caps for Germany, was born in Germany to German and Nigerian parents and only moved to England when he was 7. He played youth football for both us and Germany.

Pre-game show before our game on Swedsh telly started 30 before kick-off. They briefly mentioned we were playing Everton then started talking about the Manure-Spurs game for 5 mins. Then they spent the remaining time talking about the Swedish national side manager situation (interesting subject but still) and then they cut to commercials. 1 min before kick-off and Ljungberg says something about us having quick players and then commercials again.

The disrespect and lack of interest is quite something. Pundits are too lazy to bother reading up on anything not big-6 related.

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Pre-game show before our game on Swedsh telly started 30 before kick-off. They briefly mentioned we were playing Everton then started talking about the Manure-Spurs game for 5 mins. Then they spent the remaining time talking about the Swedish national side manager situation (interesting subject but still) and then they cut to commercials. 1 min before kick-off and Ljungberg says something about us having quick players and then commercials again.

The disrespect and lack of interest is quite something. Pundits are too lazy to bother reading up on anything not big-6 related.

and Jonas Olsson ex-WBA who hates Villa now doing the game. It's muted here now.

• Like 1

Â