Media and punditry

BOF

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is it me or were the commentators tonight dreadful?

They were Ok if a bit boring but I think they werent helped as the game sounded like a behind closed doors game with no away fans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I thought he was poor. Just kept talking and talking not really saying anything interesting. 

Funny character.

With zero evidence, he thinks he's a football genius. Quite a similar mindset to Sherwood. There's not much good play anywhere, just mistakes.

He thinks he played the same sport as Kevin de Bruyne, Haaland, Douglas Luiz. Sorry Donald, you didn't mate. This is different now.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Funny character.

With zero evidence, he thinks he's a football genius. Quite a similar mindset to Sherwood. There's not much good play anywhere, just mistakes.

He thinks he played the same sport as Kevin de Bruyne, Haaland, Douglas Luiz. Sorry Donald, you didn't mate. This is different now.

The number of times he bollocked on about the midfield 3 of Luiz, Kamara and Tielemans and how as a 3 they've impressed him this season..... When they've only played together a handful of times.

It's as if he was making shit up to sound informed.....

• Like 1

Found an interesting thread on Reddit that I think perfectly encapsulates the impact of mindless football reporting on the opinions of fans.

The 86 point theory

All points are equal, but all wins (and draws) are not.

This is an attempt at a pretty hardcore statistical analysis on the true value of one win over another win dependent on the opposition. It's ok to read, I think it is well intended if a little pointless but I'm not going to knock the OP for giving it a go. 

Where it falls over is when it starts breaking down the performance of the top 6 teams. Take a look and see if you can spot where my faith in his ability with data handling took a fatal hit.

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Is it me or were the commentators tonight dreadful?

The way they kept banging on about us needing to win by 2 goals, suggesting we should push for it, nearly had me convinced we were going out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

The way they kept banging on about us needing to win by 2 goals, suggesting we should push for it, nearly had me convinced we were going out

Yeah was very weird and totally disconnected with reality. Winning 2-1 last night put is in a really comfortable position (we only need a draw in our final game to finish top, and even a loss would be fine provided Legia don't win), but they were acting as if it's now out of our hands.

31 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah was very weird and totally disconnected with reality. Winning 2-1 last night put is in a really comfortable position (we only need a draw in our final game to finish top, and even a loss would be fine provided Legia don't win), but they were acting as if it's now out of our hands.

I think even if we lose by 1 and Legia win by 1 we still win the group. Like you say, very comfortable position against a team that barely touched the ball in our half in the first game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think even if we lose by 1 and Legia win by 1 we still win the group. Like you say, very comfortable position against a team that barely touched the ball in our half in the first game.

It used to go down to who got more away goals in the head to head. We also have a substantial goal difference over them

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It used to go down to who got more away goals in the head to head. We also have a substantial goal difference over them

It's head to head ranking, then...

If undecided, better overall goal difference.
If undecided, higher number of goals scored.
If undecided, higher number of away goals scored.
If undecided, higher number of wins.
If undecided, higher number of away wins.
If undecided, lower disciplinary points.
If undecided, higher club coefficient.

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

Found an interesting thread on Reddit that I think perfectly encapsulates the impact of mindless football reporting on the opinions of fans.

The 86 point theory

This is an attempt at a pretty hardcore statistical analysis on the true value of one win over another win dependent on the opposition. It's ok to read, I think it is well intended if a little pointless but I'm not going to knock the OP for giving it a go. 

Where it falls over is when it starts breaking down the performance of the top 6 teams. Take a look and see if you can spot where my faith in his ability with data handling took a fatal hit.

Putting a team in the top six that isn't actually in it, and leaving one out that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Putting a team in the top six that isn't actually in it, and leaving one out that is.

Yep, that is the puppy. The OP even manages to reference Chelsea just to complete the media darling wankfest bingo. It seems that despite finishing above spurs last season and being ahead of them now, having just beaten them on their own ground is not enough to emerge from their shadow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yes, there are just so many scenarios where we qualify first and so few where we don't that it's hard to be too worried about it. Do we have a 95% chance of first? 96? 98%? Dunno, but it's almost certainly going to be fine, and did not deserve the dramatic flapping about 'not finishing it on the night'. 

• Like 1

I’ve just flicked on to ‘Saturday Social’ on sky sports for the second time since it’s replaced Soccer AM.

Now I get it’s not really aimed at me, it’s obviously meant to be for kids but still, it’s a total joke. The first time I put it on some months back they were ranking goalkeepers in the PL and didn’t even have Martinez on the board. Now this morning they’re ranking young English players and apparently after one appearance Mainoo (United) is world class. What a joke of a show.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve just flicked on to ‘Saturday Social’ on sky sports for the second time since it’s replaced Soccer AM.

Now I get it’s not really aimed at me, it’s obviously meant to be for kids but still, it’s a total joke. The first time I put it on some months back they were ranking goalkeepers in the PL and didn’t even have Martinez on the board. Now this morning they’re ranking young English players and apparently after one appearance Mainoo (United) is world class. What a joke of a show.

Brain dead content aimed at the ThickTok generation. 

Nuke it all!

• Like 4

Â