Media and punditry

BOF

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Heard Jonathon Pearce say it’s the first time Villa have scored 5 at home since the 5-5 draw against Forest.  I get the Covid season was strange but we can’t deny it happened !

Aston Villa 7 Liverpool 2 - never happened 🤣

spacer.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Garth Crooks admitting he didn't want to put Ollie in his team of the week but had to because he had a hat-trick

Then described it as one of the luckiest hat tricks he has seen

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Then described it as one of the luckiest hat tricks he has seen

There's an element of truth to that though isn't there 😬

First was a one touch finish where he opened his foot up to side foot it in, I think he opened it up too much hence why it hit the side netting, not convinced he meant that good a finish

2nd he's scuffed in to the bottom corner and even then the keeper has to save it

3rd is a big deflection

Whats not going to be talked about is the guy deserves the luck sometimes, works his bollocks off every week, crooks won't see him winning the ball back in midfield, his tracking back, his pressing and what he actually did and does for us

Same with the questions about Southgate and the hattrick in front of him what's actually bizarre about Southgate is that for as ultra defensive and cautious as he is he doesn't rate Ollie for his press alone, he fits how Southgate's England play

• Like 2

Cannot believe what I have just heard on Talksport, really didn't think it could go to lower levels. Was driving home and that word removed Andy Goldstein on drive said they have managed to get a copy of the VAR transcript of the Liverplop debarcle, great I though will be worth a listen, apparently in 40 minutes. So a slow drive home , 20 minutes, slower, 5 minutes, then Andy Goldshite comes on and says "I'm not sure how our staff have got this, but fair play they have done a good job, lets play it". They play the recording and it's a made up load of bollocks, some random pretending to ref the game while watching the Ryder Cup. I shouldn't really be shocked, but that Andy Goldstein really treats his listeners like lower class citizens and must think they are all complete throbbers, what a bad peice of radio. I'm hoping he get slagged for that.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Cannot believe what I have just heard on Talksport, really didn't think it could go to lower levels. Was driving home and that word removed Andy Goldstein on drive said they have managed to get a copy of the VAR transcript of the Liverplop debarcle, great I though will be worth a listen, apparently in 40 minutes. So a slow drive home , 20 minutes, slower, 5 minutes, then Andy Goldshite comes on and says "I'm not sure how our staff have got this, but fair play they have done a good job, lets play it". They play the recording and it's a made up load of bollocks, some random pretending to ref the game while watching the Ryder Cup. I shouldn't really be shocked, but that Andy Goldstein really treats his listeners like lower class citizens and must think they are all complete throbbers, what a bad peice of radio. I'm hoping he get slagged for that.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ri4ws5bpyqwuxj3hsj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just went onto the Guardian website as i like their football coverage. No write up whatsoever. Zilch. Nothing. No writer covered it . Shocking in terms of how little we are thought of or indeed how difficult it is to function as a newspaper these days. 

• Sad 1

What are people's views on what Kevin Keegan has said about not enjoying women commentators on men's games? I see Joey Barton has backed him up and that clown Lianne Sanderson has gone off on one about it all. 

I'll be very honest, I agree with Keegan. 

I'm not sexist at all, it's solely a personal preference. I've watched a fair few games now which have a woman commentator or co-coms and at times I've had to turn the sound off. 

I asked my missus last night about my view on it and she totally got it. These women haven't played the men's game, you hear them saying 'in that situation, I'd have done this' well no, you wouldn't would you, because you've never been in that situation in a men's game, which is faster, more physical and a mile away from any game these women would have ever took part in. 

As for Sanderson, I've heard her on Talksport a few times and she has a massive chip on her shoulder about everything. Same goes for a few of the other women commentators.

I do find it very sad that we now live in a culture that if you hold a view that someone disagrees with, it's lynched upon. Keegan went on in the same thing to say he highly rates some of the women presenters etc... and it's not like he used insulting language to get his initial view across. 

People like Sanderson should focus on how well the women's game is doing, be proud of the fact the standard is improving, more people are watching and more young girls are getting involved. Spend your energy on that, not jumping on every little chance you get to slap a person down for giving an honest point of view. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

What are people's views on what Kevin Keegan has said about not enjoying women commentators on men's games? I see Joey Barton has backed him up and that clown Lianne Sanderson has gone off on one about it all. 

I'm not sexist at all, it's solely a personal preference. I've watched a fair few games now which have a woman commentator or co-coms and at times I've had to turn the sound off. 

I asked my missus last night about my view on it and she totally got it. These women haven't played the men's game, you hear them saying 'in that situation, I'd have done this' well no, you wouldn't would you, because you've never been in that situation in a men's game, which is faster, more physical and a mile away from any game these women would have ever took part in. 

As for Sanderson, I've heard her on Talksport a few times and she has a massive chip on her shoulder about everything. Same goes for a few of the other women commentators.

I do find it very sad that we now live in a culture that if you hold a view that someone disagrees with, it's lynched upon. Keegan went on in the same thing to say he highly rates some of the women presenters etc... and it's not like he used insulting language to get his initial view across. 

People like Sanderson should focus on how well the women's game is doing, be proud of the fact the standard is improving, more people are watching and more young girls are getting involved. Spend your energy on that, not jumping on every little chance you get to slap a person down for giving an honest point of view. 

Not having a pop at you or your missus but have heard it before but the they didnt play the game argument doesnt hold up for me. Jose Mourinho never played and people would listen to him. Also some of the best football minds about are journalists not ex players

Also Gary Neville, Alan Shearer retired 10-15 years ago, football has changed so much since then that could argue they havent played the same game either

Plus i know who i would prefer to listen to between a "token" female co commentator or Danny Murphy or Jermaine Jenas

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He has a point about somebody who has never experienced the situation telling people what they would have done, but he also comments they are good at their job, which is where I disagree because most of all commentators are semi coherent morons (except Jed Steer). In rugby, the standard is better. And then when I listen to Test Match Special, Alison Mitchell, Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford-Brent are excellent, although Alex Hartley sounds like a Haribo advert. I don't think this is just an old Yorkshireman being a misogynist, but it will get spun that way

• Like 1

Fair comments. 

I'm not saying the female commentators are useless, like you said, some of the men are too, but I guess it comes down to the fact I'm of an age where I grew up listening to Radio 5, Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Simon Brotherton etc... and they'd paint a picture, they were knowledgeable and their voices would instill a sense of tension & excitement. 

It's all very generic now days, point out the obvious, waffle on a bit, 'oh a goals gone in'. 

I think it's Sandersons reaction that has pissed me off, totally over the top. 

1 minute ago, luckyeddie said:

He has a point about somebody who has never experienced the situation telling people what they would have done, but he also comments they are good at their job, which is where I disagree because most of all commentators are semi coherent morons (except Jed Steer). In rugby, the standard is better. And then when I listen to Test Match Special, Alison Mitchell, Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford-Brent are excellent, although Alex Hartley sounds like a Haribo advert. I don't think this is just an old Yorkshireman being a misogynist, but it will get spun that way

Maybe because smaller (for a lack of a better word) sports like rugby or cricket don't have such a pressure to invite half brained celebrities to the studio to get more clicks? 

3 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Fair comments. 

I'm not saying the female commentators are useless, like you said, some of the men are too, but I guess it comes down to the fact I'm of an age where I grew up listening to Radio 5, Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Simon Brotherton etc... and they'd paint a picture, they were knowledgeable and their voices would instill a sense of tension & excitement. 

It's all very generic now days, point out the obvious, waffle on a bit, 'oh a goals gone in'. 

I think it's Sandersons reaction that has pissed me off, totally over the top. 

Just read her comments, and yes she has spun it as misogyny. I think she is trying to get some attention off the back of someone famous. To call him irrelevant is disrespectful to a legend of the English games, and would she say the same about Nettie Honeyball. People pay to listen to him, I can't imagine they would for her.

• Like 1

Â