Media and punditry

BOF

Danny Murphy really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about modern football, you’d think he was playing in the 1800’s. In tonight’s commentary we had “I don’t understand why midfielders go down near the box even when fouled”, and the absolute cream of the crop “That’s why I don’t like VAR, it’s been created to take the enjoyment out the game”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

the absolute cream of the crop “That’s why I don’t like VAR, it’s been created to take the enjoyment out the game”

It makes you think he likes to post on Villatalk

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Danny Murphy really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about modern football, you’d think he was playing in the 1800’s. In tonight’s commentary we had “I don’t understand why midfielders go down near the box even when fouled”, and the absolute cream of the crop “That’s why I don’t like VAR, it’s been created to take the enjoyment out the game”

Yeah he also said something like "This is what's wrong with VAR, delaying the game for no reason"

VAR was checking for a red card for violent conduct at the time.

There's a lot wrong with VAR but checking to see if a player has gone unpunished for violent conduct isn't one of them.

He's basically like the modern day lawro. Moaning for the sake of it at everything.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I didn't watch the game so a bit hypocritical but my biggest problem with murphy is he never manages to convince me that he actually watches football

id be interested to know what he was like last night, I would guess he knew a fair bit about arsenal and then some generic stuff about what biesla is doing at leeds but offered no insight or tactical analysis of them, cliché's like biesla has them running through walls for him or biesla loves to do his homework, maybe something about PL teams liking phillips but not telling you why or offering his own opinion as to what role he could play for which team

he's bland and un-insightful, he's like watching a game with a rugby mate who spends the game spouting what he read in the sun that morning 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's basically like the modern day lawro. Moaning for the sake of it at everything.

He is the poor mans Lawro which is even worse 😂

At least Lawro tried(badly) to make jokes

• Haha 1

What is the basis of getting a punditry gig. I cannot flick on the TV nowadays without Micah on there. BBC and Sky.

They all get rolled out once in a while but who decides that suddenly 'this is the guy?' Is he just available more than others and trying to build a rep?

...because honestly, he is bloody awful. Nice cheery lad but thick as mince.

• Like 2

Him and lescott

Trying to build up a man City base, kompany was good when he was on there, sinclairs career you would think is near over, after that it's Danny Mills or niall quinn, they have no big name ex player so they've scraped the barrel

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

What is the basis of getting a punditry gig. I cannot flick on the TV nowadays without Micah on there. BBC and Sky.

They all get rolled out once in a while but who decides that suddenly 'this is the guy?' Is he just available more than others and trying to build a rep?

...because honestly, he is bloody awful. Nice cheery lad but thick as mince.

On screen diversity is the reason he's getting a sudden push. The new pundits can't all be white blokes, there's enough of them around already.

He's got the great advantage of being a Man City kid as well, they're on TV loads so plenty of chances for him. At least he does bring some life to proceedings as well, he's got a personality.

Not a fan of some of the women being put on TV myself. The ex-keeper who did our Burnley comms was terrible, and she's always terrible! Her and the ex-arsenal player Kelly Smith are on BT Score often and are both rubbish.

There must be some more Alex Scotts knocking about.

I've probably moaned about this before, but the Guardian's transfer page (all the deals in Europe's 5 biggest leagues!) pisses me off no end. If Montpellier loan a youth team player to Amiens, they'll list it happily, but if Albion buy a player from Brentford it might as well not have happened. I can't work out whether this is some gross cultural cringe, or what the deal is, but it's **** stupid.

transfermarkt's page is the place to be, you have to sift through 3rd division Mexican transfers but it gives you everything

failing that betinf gives you most on the transfer page and then all if you go through the leagues individually 

• Thanks 1

Amazing revelation on TalkSport yesterday morning by Danny Murphy. They were talking about Arsenal game and the lack of yellow cards. Murphy initially said that if he was 1 yellow away from a ban he’d have a little chat with a ref before a game and ask for a bit of a warning if he was close to getting booked. Then the bombshell, he said he’d given plenty of ref’s signed shirts over the years if they “looked after” him. I couldn’t believe my ears.

Anyone else hear that?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Murphy was a good though inconsistent player. Makes himself sound like he was Xabi Alonso

I was really surprised to hear him openly talking about 1) attempting to influence a ref before a game and 2) giving rewards to refs who "looked after" him. Crazy.

"im on a yellow and we've got a massive game next week, don't book me and I'll get you a signed shirt"

"im on a yellow and would appreciate it if you could tell me if im getting out of hand out there" followed by "thanks for that I've got you a shirt to show my appreciation"

scenario 1 is out of order, scenario 2 I can live with

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

"im on a yellow and we've got a massive game next week, don't book me and I'll get you a signed shirt"

"im on a yellow and would appreciate it if you could tell me if im getting out of hand out there" followed by "thanks for that I've got you a shirt to show my appreciation"

scenario 1 is out of order, scenario 2 I can live with

In both scenario's I'd have thought the ref couldn't accept a gift from a player like that. He said he used to do it all the time. It was quite an eye opener.

neil Warnock on talksport Fulham have the best squad, Brentford have the best squad, why aren't they top of the championship?  because baggies and leeds have been more consistent...

nothing to do with tactics and having the best 2 managers then

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

In both scenario's I'd have thought the ref couldn't accept a gift from a player like that. He said he used to do it all the time. It was quite an eye opener.

yeah id have thought they would have a strict no gifts policy and even if it was a charitable donation or something it would have to be declared in some way 

I imagine the anti bribery officer at the PGMOL will take interest in his comments

• Like 1

Â