Football Manager 2013

AndyClarke

I'm running a pretty mild training regime. Most of the injuries gets picked up during matches, usually against the top sides.

It can be tactical, (i.e. lots of closing down, countering with burst forward/tracking back or settings that results in lots of challenges) but mostly it's just random I think. Playing with the same tactic for years in different leagues I get the odd periods of feeling like the game is out to get me.

There are a few injury prone players in the Villa squad and you mentioned a couple of them. You are better off having good cover for those that you keep and just don't sign any more injury prone players if you're gonna try to keep a small squad. It makes the first few seasons a challenge though.

Just got Walsall to the Prem  :)

Suggestions for the following would be welcome:

CB

CM (Defensive)

Striker - preferably one that is strong in a support role

Just got Walsall to the Prem :)

Suggestions for the following would be welcome:

CB

CM (Defensive)

Striker - preferably one that is strong in a support role

Jason Lowe from Blackburns strangely good. Always gets insane match ratings. Only issue is he'll get booked 10+ times and in my villa save he got sent off 4 times for rovers after they were promoted

Had to start a new game because my 5 season long Journeyman save corrupted.

Just won League 2 in my first season with Bradford. Took em over mid table in October, struggled a bit to start with then went on an absolute rampage. Had a 14 game unbeaten streak, 10 game win streak and reached the 4th round of the FA Cup beating Walsall and Watford.

Also, Elliott Parish is an absolute beast in the lower leagues. Reasonable wage demands, got him on loan in January then signed on a free in June 2013.

37 games played, 23 won, 8 drawn, 6 lost, 62% win rate.

75 goals for, 24 goals against, +51 goal difference.

I have 75 million in the bank and absolutely nothing worthwhile left to spend it on. Should I blow it all trying to get Ganso or Gotze just for the hell of it? I'm not one to make marquee signings nor sign older players (they're 27 and 25, respectively) and am not short on good AMs, but both are substantially better than what I have (in terms of their current ability, anyway), we're silly rich from success and selling players to City, Madrid, et cetera for stupid money, and with a few more great seasons should make it #1 in the world. I owe it to myself and our fans to splurge a little, right?

Sure, go for it. Unless you are saving for a new stadium all that will happen is that the chaiman will take a large chunk of your profit each season... but not Ganso surly? He's perhaps the most injury prone player in the game. Chances of him picking up a major injury is big, and if he does he will not be able to come back as good. Who do you have at AM? And what sort of player are you looking for? A playmaker, or a more pacy direct one?

I haven't signed Gotze so I'll suggest Wellington Nem. He might not be world class in ability, but in terms of performance he's one of the best players in the game in my opinion, and will do equally well as a left winger. Erik Lamela is also superb. They are not the playmaker types though. They'll run with the ball and create havoc.

I miss FM so much. I haven't played it seriously since launch day when I bought it. Couldn't get into it but since I've finished Uni I have a shit load of free time, but my PC needs repaired so I can't play it until it's fixed.

Bah. I miss my Gimnasia/San Lorenzo/Ajax/Fiorentina save from last year. Copa Libertadores and Champions League winning squads were just unbelievable. 

Sure, go for it. Unless you are saving for a new stadium all that will happen is that the chaiman will take a large chunk of your profit each season... but not Ganso surly? He's perhaps the most injury prone player in the game. Chances of him picking up a major injury is big, and if he does he will not be able to come back as good. Who do you have at AM? And what sort of player are you looking for? A playmaker, or a more pacy direct one?

I play a narrow front 3 with two poachers playing off a 6'3"+ target man, with one or two CAMs behind them. If I'm just using one, I'll go for the playmaker; two, one playmaker, one dribbler. Ganso would mainly be in competition with/replacing Sergio Canales, who is a bit of a hybrid of the two styles, but too inconsistent to start every match and is completely lacking in physical presence.

As far as I can tell, Ganso has the highest creative/mental skills in the game without being hilariously expensive, on insane wages, or >30 years old. My facilities and physios are world class, don't have too much injury trouble, but you never know. Also, I just want to buy a real-life big name player for once, and CAM is the only spot where there are players I like who represent proper upgrades. The most well-known player I've purchased previously is Lacina Traore; Canales was released from Madrid, got him on a free.

Gotze would be best overall (though he seems to be injured fairly often, too), but he'd cost probably my entire budget and would demand over 100k/week wages vs 50m and probably 65k/week for Ganso. Of the other "big" AMs with stats I like, I could get Mesut Ozil for absolute peanuts, but he doesn't look quite as good, or Jovetic for somewhere between Ganso and Gotze, but he's already on 130k/week at Liverpool. Chelsea had Hazard valued at 300m on 176k/week and I don't think Bayern would sell Toni Kroos to me due to our rivalry.

If Lambert continues his current policy, FM2014 is going to be fun as Aston Villa manager! I hear he is eyeing up To Madeira as we speak.

Out of interest Andy, when do you have to submit the attributes etc, of the players? Will you be rating our new signings?

If Lambert continues his current policy, FM2014 is going to be fun as Aston Villa manager! I hear he is eyeing up To Madeira as we speak.

Out of interest Andy, when do you have to submit the attributes etc, of the players? Will you be rating our new signings?

First part is done so I have basically set my stall out for where our players will be at for FM2014. There are another 2 research phases over the summer for tinkering, fine tuning and all the extra bits that I haven't yet done.

I won't touch any of the new players until January at the earliest if I can help it. Although, last year I made a few changes to Lowton and Westwood just before data lock because they were so underrated due to the level they had been at. This was done with the blessings of the researchers from those clubs.

• Like 2

Â