Ashley Westwood

Nabby

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Snap!

No, not snap. I defend a player who is playing in our shirt and I'm certainly not worked up over it. I will ALWAYS defend those who play in our shirt. He isn't good enough, I have stated that before, but I am not getting worked up because he is in the team. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 11:34, Robbie09 said:

AW is exactly the type of midfielder the coaches at academy level are developing. Both my lads have been through the academy system at clubs and my eldest plays in the same role as Westwood so I understand what is expected of him during the 90 minutes.The emphasis is on ball retention and pass percentage. Coaches prefer a sideways or backwards pass if it guarantees retaining possession rather than a forward ball that may result in losing possession. Westwood's first touch is very good and he reads the game well so regardless of whether you rate him or not he is the perfect example of midfielder English coaches are producing.  

It's maybe an argument for a different topic but the flair and skill is coached out of players in my opinion and that's why as a nation we will struggle to win anything. I've watched hundreds of games at academy level including Premier league teams and the blueprint is all too common.

It may also explain why AW is consistently picked by every manager since he signed for us.

On Saturday the comment from a guy 2 rows behind me when he made the mistake was "just die Westwood".

FWIW I rate Westwood but there's a number around me in L5 that can't wait to dish out the abuse

I take all that Robbie and you have a much more in depth view than me of the ins & outs of the Academy( I am very much a first team man)....I believe the first line, because thats what i have been seeing come out of the Academy in recent times.

I have a mixed view on the flair and skill bit being coached out of them....but I would say is this.

This game we all love is a physical game( no hiding from it) and whilst I understand the reluctance to get too involved in that at academy level at some stage it has to be addressed....Steve himself has been banging the drum very hard since he came for the exact point....He has been emphasizing the ability to be resilient.

I have seen many academy level players very good when they have space, when the space is denied they struggle to impose that skill that they have displayed at BMH.

The physicality of the game is a very difficult subject to explain because invariably folk misconstrue what is being said....No one wants a team of cloggers, but unfortunately opposition players do not just sit back and watch you play expansive football....They press ,squeeze and deny you space.When a player can showcase his skills during that physical endurance thats when you know you have a player.....How many have we seen that look like world beaters when no one is near, but when they are compromised, they evaporate in to thin air.

I believe Steve Bruce will change that in time and when we see players eventually get introduced to the first team from the Academy, they will be ready.

Remember Andy Gray, Gary Shaw and Gareth Barry all under 20 all capable of resisting the bullying of opposing players allowing them to impose themselves and their skills.

Thats whats required from our future lads.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The world is really screwed up when we slate footballers for being overweight and useless but endorse a complete and utter peanut for president. 

for the record

I dont endorse him

he is imho a word removed

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The world is really screwed up when we slate footballers for being overweight and useless but endorse a complete and utter peanut for president. 

In the next few years we can revisit this debate on whether Trump is good for the world or not.  I for one loved it when Obama got elected, but now see him as the most ineffective president America ever elected.  He has left the country so divided on lots of things and worse than before.  Hilary Clinton would have been a disaster for the world!  My opinion is based on research and facts.  I admit most of my research is based on Stefan Molyneux, Colin Flaherty ect ect.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DK82 said:

No, not snap. I defend a player who is playing in our shirt and I'm certainly not worked up over it. I will ALWAYS defend those who play in our shirt. He isn't good enough, I have stated that before, but I am not getting worked up because he is in the team. 

Er do you know how to play snap..... i was agreeing with you. Your point was in my view the winning card. Ive written enough posts on here for my view of AW (solid squad player, its not his fault we don't have any better midfielders) and his treatment at games

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ermie123 said:

In the next few years we can revisit this debate on whether Trump is good for the world or not.  I for one loved it when Obama got elected, but now see him as the most ineffective president America ever elected.  He has left the country so divided on lots of things and worse than before.  Hilary Clinton would have been a disaster for the world!  My opinion is based on research and facts.  I admit most of my research is based on Stefan Molyneux, Colin Flaherty ect ect.

Way off topic now but if you want to claim you're educated and that means you understand Trump better than me then I'm ok with that. Fwiw your wrong :D but I hope you have a nice day

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Er do you know how to play snap..... i was agreeing with you. Your point was in my view the winning card. Ive written enough posts on here for my view of AW (solid squad player, its not his fault we don't have any better midfielders) and his treatment at games

Fair enough mate. My apologies.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2016 at 12:36, StefanAVFC said:

Where has this thing come from that Westwood makes a lot of mistakes?

He's been especially tidy for the majority of his time here. Ineffective through a lot of it, but tidy and lacking mistakes.

in fairness i can think of 3 of top of my head so far this season that led to goals

Preston

Cardiff

Forest when he botted a tackle and left defence exposed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DK82 said:

Considering I am not a fan of Westwood......I agree with that.

we must respect the shirt and the team the manager puts out.He has his opinions and they may be the same as ours, but he has to put a team out and he will put a team out to win.

thats how he keeps himself in a job.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

we must respect the shirt and the team the manager puts out.He has his opinions and they may be the same as ours, but he has to put a team out and he will put a team out to win.

Agreed.

I think post January we will not be seeing as much of Westwood. But for now we need to support those in the shirt and support them to the end.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Excellent post. Can i say with respect Tro that I disagree with you a bit on various topics but your spot on here and I respect your opinion because you dont like Westwood but I dont pick you as one to boo him and you have just said that you back Bruce as he is the manager so you therefore must go along with his team selection

All of us so called Westwood lovers are really asking for is don't get stuck into him while he is doing his best for Villa. I agree he is not what I would would call a first pick midfielder.......

But ill make this point again......

It's not his fault we dont have better midfielders

It's not his fault he gets picked to play

All we're asking is get behind a Villa player playing for Villa trying his best for Villa to help Villa get back in the Premier League where Villa belong

(Ps. Ashley Westwood is a Villa player!!!!!!!!)

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

I think Westwood has been poor this season, but I'm yet to see why Gardner is a preferred option. 

His header against Blues was wonderful, but apart from that he's done very little.

• Like 2

I think both Westy and Gardner have been performing like lower half/midtable Championship team rotation players.

About what I was expecting.

Both need replacing in January, but we could keep one of them as squad player til' the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Excellent post. Can i say with respect Tro that I disagree with you a bit on various topics but your spot on here and I respect your opinion because you dont like Westwood but I dont pick you as one to boo him and you have just said that you back Bruce as he is the manager so you therefore must go along with his team selection

All of us so called Westwood lovers are really asking for is don't get stuck into him while he is doing his best for Villa. I agree he is not what I would would call a first pick midfielder.......

But ill make this point again......

It's not his fault we dont have better midfielders

It's not his fault he gets picked to play

All we're asking is get behind a Villa player playing for Villa trying his best for Villa to help Villa get back in the Premier League where Villa belong

(Ps. Ashley Westwood is a Villa player!!!!!!!!)

I never boo players during a match or in the stadium....they are human they want to do well.

this is the place to have a moan and blow off steam, not in the ground, during a game....the players feel our mood, even if it's just grumbles.

• Like 1