Ashley Westwood

Nabby

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

My point is that I don't believe he has even attempted to better himself. He's just kinda accepted that he can be an anonymous cog in a utterly woeful system.

Never once has he attempted to stand up and be counted in a game. Certainly not that I've seen anyway. There is more to being 'a professional' than trying your best.

Completely disagree there.  I see a player who tries his hardest but just can't impact/influence/take control of a game like a better player would. But that's down to his ability as a footballer, not mental aspects. 

From my perspective, it certainly isn't attitude and effort that lets Westwood down. As a squad player he's fine, we just need better in the middle of the park. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Completely disagree there.  I see a player who tries his hardest but just can't impact/influence/take control of a game like a better player would. But that's down to his ability as a footballer, not mental aspects. 

From my perspective, it certainly isn't attitude and effort that lets Westwood down. As a squad player he's fine, we just need better in the middle of the park. 

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

As a squad player he's fine, we just need better in the middle of the park. 

Sorry, but I dont get this logic

we need better on the pitch - pointing to him not being good enough

However, Good enough for the squad - The squad being a pool of players good enough to do a job in the first 11.

Westwood is shit for the 1st 11, shit for the bench and shit for the squad.

He is of no use to us whatsoever

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

last season after the Wycombe game I said he might have found his level and some people criticized me saying that was an overreaction and he better than that.

so maybe League 1 is his level :P

TBH it's probably not far off. He's certainly not good enough to be a regular for a championship team aiming to finish in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry, but I dont get this logic

we need better on the pitch - pointing to him not being good enough

However, Good enough for the squad - The squad being a pool of players good enough to do a job in the first 11.

Westwood is shit for the 1st 11, shit for the bench and shit for the squad.

He is of no use to us whatsoever

But the reality is,  no squad in the world has 25 players of equal quality unless you're Man City.  Certainly no team in the Championship has a squad of equal quality.  It's just not feasible,  otherwise everyone would be earning the same wage and that's just not possible.  

There will always be your first 11, and the players who will come on the bench wont be as good.  It's natural.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But the reality is,  no squad in the world has 25 players of equal quality unless you're Man City.  Certainly no team in the Championship has a squad of equal quality.  It's just not feasible,  otherwise everyone would be earning the same wage and that's just not possible.  

There will always be your first 11, and the players who will come on the bench wont be as good.  It's natural.  

Sorry, but a Squad should consist of cover for each position AND youngsters coming through

Did this guy really make gueye look that bad or was that his own doing. I won't say i can't believe because I know he's good but I'm rather surprised that idrissa gueye has been the best midfielder in the premier league this season.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry, but a Squad should consist of cover for each position AND youngsters coming through

And Westwood should be cover for the CM position. Not sure what your point is? 

Edited by PieFacE

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Did this guy really make gueye look that bad or was that his own doing. I won't say i can't believe because I know he's good but I'm rather surprised that idrissa gueye has been the best midfielder in the premier league this season.

It has only been 4 games. For 20 minutes v man utd last season he looked the best player ever to play the game. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

And Westwood should be cover for the CM position. Not sure what your point is? 

In an ideal world he shouldn't even be cover

in the real world he's better than Gardner and lyden and after that there's no one else coming through making him 3rd choice in a 2 or 3 man midfield formation, with injuries and 46 league games, we can't get rid of him without buying at least another 2 midfielders 

madness that for the last 6 games we've been unable to play a central midfield 3, we desperately need more central midfielders 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

..........aided and abetted by Gareth Barry