Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood and Gardner should watch footage of Gareth Barry to see how to play the holding midfielder role to perfection. He was absolutely brilliant for the toffeemen tonight. Breaks up play and makes great passes, of all distances, forward - usually picking out a teammate. 

• Like 2

there were about two periods under Lambert and Sherwood where we were winning (god they were brief) and when he got some confidence he started to look halfway decent. But as the team got worse so did he.

I don't think he is terrible, he does the very basics, but at this present time we need leaders and mental toughness, I would rather he was a hard tackling clogger than a light weight player who puts in plenty of nice passes a few yds forwards, sideways and back. But who couldn't score if the goal was 5x the size, he doesn't even take set pieces anymore.

Maybe if the team got back to winning ways (without him in the starting eleven) he could eventually be reintroduced and build his confidence back up as for some reason I do think he is capable of more than we see. But honestly I hope Tish and Jedinak become our first choice and we sign some new midfielders in Jan so Gardener and Westwood become surplus to requirements.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, andym said:

Always available when teams sit off, but when they press he is nowhere to be found, as evidenced by the second halves against Huddersfield, Derby and Bristol.

He doesn't score, hardly creates, is slow, can't run with the ball, can't beat a man, can't tackle, can't win headers, can't win physical battles.

His technique in terms of controlling the ball and passing is actually very good, and yes his passing accuracy is generally high, and he doesn't always pass sideways and backwards. But watch a game and see where the majority of his passes are made, and where the opposition are when he makes them - they are the safe option nearly every time - to a man who is in space, and only when he himself is given time.  

Basically he has a lot of holes in his game, and the one thing he is pretty good at, he can only do when hes allowed to do it. For someone who appears to be one of the first names on the teamsheet, i would expect to come away from games and think 'you know, Westwood ran the show today, he was dominant'. I can't think of many times in his 122 games for us where that has happened.

Concurred

17 hours ago, villarocker said:

Westwood and Gardner should watch footage of Gareth Barry to see how to play the holding midfielder role to perfection. He was absolutely brilliant for the toffeemen tonight. Breaks up play and makes great passes, of all distances, forward - usually picking out a teammate. 

Not surprising too, why idrissa is playing so well....having a dominant player to accompany him.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The trouble is with Westwood is despite him being here over 4 years I am not really sure what type of midfileder he is. He certainly isn't an attacking one or box to box but I don't see him as an holding or defensive midfielder either as don't think he reads the game well enough or is strong enough in that position.

You can't really fault his technique. His control is excellent and his passing very good. He rarely takes a chance with a pass though and it is all a little too safe.

I think alongside someone more mobile he is fine or if you want to be more defensive I could certainly see him in a three with Tshibola and Jedinak. It doesn't work alongside Gardner though as they are both too ponderous and want too long on the ball and when a fast attack and quick movement of the ball is required they both have a tendency to take an extra touch or play it safe sideways or backwards. Defensively they are also both weak.

I find it hard to disagree with that and it is hard to criticise him for not being good enough for what we want.

However,I have a less empathetic approach and favour AndyM's rendition.

but why oh why have we accomodated this for so long.Its not all down to him, but this kind of stuff is dragging the life out of our results.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but why oh why have we accomodated this for so long.Its not all down to him, but this kind of stuff is dragging the life out of our results.

We're trying to change that with Jedinak and Tish. I know you've got a bee in your bonnet at present, about the midfield not being tough enough. You're right. However they deserve a bit of time to correct the issue no? 

If they had gone out and signed a couple of powderpuff midfielders in the summer then fair enough. Jedinak is 6'2 and Tishbola 6'3.

Jedinak is a **** mountain and from what I've seen of Tish he's a tough kid. Let's see how they develop when fit before we suggest that they're still accommodating a weak midfield. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're trying to change that with Jedinak and Tish. I know you've got a bee in your bonnet at present, about the midfield not being tough enough. You're right. However they deserve a bit of time to correct the issue no? 

If they had gone out and signed a couple of powderpuff midfielders in the summer then fair enough. Jedinak is 6'2 and Tishbola 6'3.

Jedinak is a **** mountain and from what I've seen of Tish he's a tough kid. Let's see how they develop when fit before we suggest that they're still accommodating a weak midfield. 

Fair Comment Dave....I will button it, What with Jedinak not able to come in yet and 6 Years of poor midfield recruitment decisions.....the frustration is getting the better of me.

I''ll get my coat.....

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fair Comment Dave....I will button it, What with Jedinak not able to come in yet and 6 Years of poor midfield recruitment decisions.....the frustration is getting the better of me.

I''ll get my coat.....

No please don't, I was simply offering an alternative opinion! Your posts make me think, research, think some more. 

Like I thought Tish was solid but didn't realise he was 6'3!

22 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

In the 1st half, there were numerous occassions when ,either McCormack or Ayew were in good positions and should have been given the ball.Westwood didn't even attempt the pass, and passed the ball backwards.That is why he has good stats , and that is why he is a complete liability.Limited ability, limited passing, weak, and slow.Not even a Championship player imho.

Yep, it's easy to move it back and sideways again but ultimately whilst you get a other positive tick on your successful pass stats it ultimately achieves nothing other than to retain possession. Take an occasional calculated risk to move the ball forwards and we become mobile and positive. 

Yes don't give it away but without forward passing you will lose every week,  week after week. 

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No please don't, I was simply offering an alternative opinion! Your posts make me think, research, think some more. 

Like I thought Tish was solid but didn't realise he was 6'3!

I didn't know he was 6'3 either.

Dave, equally, I do listen intently to many posters on here inc yourself, Terrytini, Blandy, Markavfc etc....who I find very interesting and 95 % of the time agree with.

I have probably said it a few times tonight....read Alex Berwicks fan blog in the Birmingham Mail, its probably internet accessible....very rounded opinion of whats at fault.

He is channeling  a point at RDM which might be worth considering.....but not in any way shape or form calling for him to go, that would be ridiculous at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Should have signed Peter Crouch if height is the answer to a weak midfield ;)

On 9/12/2016 at 12:35, jimcohen said:

Villa fans will never agree on Westwood, so I am not trying to change anyones mind here, but the stats are interesting

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084911/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Aston-Villa-Nottingham-Forest

Click on chalkboard and then focus on West2ood. 

he had the most passes, joint most interceptions, blocks and 3rd  most tackles, (behind Ayew surprisingly). Also, second most touches behind Ayew. 

He never lost possession or gave a foul away. 

He isn't spectacular and we could do with him chipping in with more goals for sure, but most teams need a guy like him. He starts all games for me with Jedinak. (until we sign someone better)

Yet could've quite easily prevented both goals. He's useless. Get Rid. Weak & Cowardly.

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

JTRhrom.jpg
saRTF20.jpg
YiW9oAk.jpg
1aemNMm.jpg

Everone here is such an expert in pass direction, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me which of these is Westwood, right?

I thought it was the latest plans for the next Jewellery Heist in London:)

Ps how to confuse the rozzers

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1