Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Just the best at what he does. First name on the team sheet for me.

That's just it. What does he actually do?
Again? Seriously?

Edit - I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's good at what he does but very little else. But come on! The manager outlines what his role is, it's fine if you think he's not very good at it but do we need to go around in circles like this?

That's a bit harsh. I try to read the debate around Westwood but it just gets bombarded with people arguing and point scoring based on whether they rate him or not. So I tend to skip through a lot of it.

I've said many times I like him and I agree it made sense to give him a new contract. But I'm willing to place a bet with anyone that he will no longer be at the club in 2 seasons time.

I think the term defensive midfielder is a bit outdated now and there in lies the problem. People see him play as the deepest midfielder and assume he is just there to defend. I've been guilty of this myself.

If we were playing with an out right defensive midfielder we would see Sanchez playing more often than Westwood, and even he isn't completely defensive orientated. Westwood isn't there to tackle and to break up play, he is there to start out attacks from a deeper position and like BOF said, his true ability wasn't evident when we had Lambert's static midfield ahead of him.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I think the term defensive midfielder is a bit outdated now and there in lies the problem. People see him play as the deepest midfielder and assume he is just there to defend. I've been guilty of this myself.

If we were playing with an out right defensive midfielder we would see Sanchez playing more often than Westwood, and even he isn't completely defensive orientated. Westwood isn't there to tackle and to break up play, he is there to start out attacks from a deeper position and like BOF said, that was clearly evident when we have Lambert's static midfield ahead of him.

That's a good point but surely there has to be the typical defensive midfielder in the team. Let's just say that is Gueye or Sanchez for arguments sake. Is Westwood then good enough to to be that player the really makes things happen, who the game revolves around?

Even if he is good at what he does, is it enough of a contribution to the whole team to justify starting week in week out?

I disagree that there must be a typical defensive midfielder in a team, there are many different ways to play football and not every team plays with an outright defensive midfielder.

No, Westwood probably isn't good enough for our game to completely revolve around, not many players in world football are.

In short he does what he is asked to do and does it very well. If he was asked to sit there and stop the opposition at all costs then he would struggle but that isn't his game and that isn't why he is in the team.

RE: the DM, depends entirely on who we're playing.

Exactly. If we were playing a team with a really dangerous attacking midfielder I'd expect to see us sacrifice Westwood for Sanchez, especially away from home. The only reason that wouldn't be the case is if Sanchez is in one of those moods where he thinks he allowed to just float about, casual as you like.

Unfortunately with Sanchez, as much as I like him, he does that more often than not.

I don't know man. Most top teams have the typical defensive midfielder or at least use a player in that role. Yes they generally have a lot more to their game than just the defensive side but all teams need that player that will sit and protect the back two while full backs and attack minded midfielders can get forward. Think of any top team and you will be able to name that player.

So if Westwood isn't that player then does he have enough in his game to help on an attacking side?

RE: the DM, depends entirely on who we're playing.

Exactly. If we were playing a team with a really dangerous attacking midfielder I'd expect to see us sacrifice Westwood for Sanchez, especially away from home. The only reason that wouldn't be the case is if Sanchez is in one of those moods where he thinks he allowed to just float about, casual as you like.

Unfortunately with Sanchez, as much as I like him, he does that more often than not.

Well in Villa (regarding Sanchez) that's kinda true, but in the 10 or so times (probably more) I've seen him play for Colombia he's been as disciplined as you like.

I think that just as we all hope that Westwood will be better with better player around him, the same can be said about Sanchez. In fact there is proof that this happens when he plays for Colombia, with Westwood it's as of yet just speculation.

It's very possible that Sanchez, just like Westwood was given the instructions by Lambert to start our attacks and look for the killer pass . Sanchez is not that player but hopefully Westwood might be that player on a more regular basis this season. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I think Sanchez is a must against Man Utd. Schneiderlin would bully Westwood. 

serious? If one guy plays deep playmaker. And the other plays defensive midfielder. They dont usually mark/come into contact with each other that much. Nowhere enough to class it as bully. It will be depay/rooney who will be closing down westwood (usually)

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 3

Also, having been surrounded by dross, what is it that makes people so certain he is going to be any good surrounded by decent players.

Firstly, he wasn't surrounded by 'dross'. My totem poles analogy was to try and get the logic of the point across. And using the exact same logic, people already liked what Westwood did whilst surrounded by those other players, so now they think they're going to like him even more because he's surrounded by players that suit his style even more.  That's all.

I think it's a massive cop out this 'he needs to be surrounded by good players' argument. If you're any good (certainly to the extent where it's deemed excellent news that you've signed a new contract) then you'll stand out either way. Like Delph did, like benteke did. Like Scott Parker at West Ham did.

You're choosing to call something a cop out because you're choosing not to understand what it is that people are saying.  Are you scan-reading the posts or something?  Because my OP has the answer to your 'cop out' within it.  There's an onus on the reader sometimes too.

Everything you need for your Westwood mystery is contained within the last several pages.  I won't be going round and round and round.

• Like 2

I think Sanchez is a must against Man Utd. Schneiderlin would bully Westwood. 

serious? If one guy plays deep playmaker. And the other plays defensive midfielder. They dont usually mark/come into contact each other that much. Nowhere enough to class it as bully. It will be depay/rooney who will be closing down westwood (usually)

Indeed. And off topic, I don't see Schneiderlin bullying Gana. That will be a great little match up I think.