Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Gil and Sanchez are 2 of the definite starters for me.Whoever plays better alongside Sanchez, who has mobility, pace, aggression and versatility, so that we can play Gil in a more advanced role without having too many defensive responsibilities would be the natural choice.

Westwood , Delph or Bacuna for me, not Cleverley.

Should have buried that chance at the end.

I think he was let down by a poor ball. Had it been played properly ahead of him he'd not have had to slow down and lose all his momentum to take possession

What does the signing of gill and delph signing a deal mean for Westwood?

I think he will slowly become just a squad player and I think that's good for us.

He should be backup for Delph.

He plays differently, but essentially he and Delph play the same position. The water carrier (although Delph plays it more as a box to box player) in a midfield 3 (alongside a DM and an AM).

He can offer us a plan B of course. But I think our best team should involve a central 3, and Westwood isn't one of them.

Still a starter for me, without a doubt.

He's not great but he offers much more than Cleverley and Delph doesn't want to be here. Him and Sanchez in the middle all day long with Delph / Gil just in front.

The Delph who signed a 4 1/2 year deal this morning doesn't want to be here?? Well that escalated quickly! What's happened? Westwood is a DM and so is Sanchez thing is Sanchez is better so Westwood will miss out depending on formations.

You serious Pete?

We looked a better  without Westwood and Gabby in the team.More movement, more pace, quicker passing, even Cleverley looked better.

Still need a couple of quality additions, but a step in the right direction to me.

I agree about the team looking better minus Gabby and Westwood.

Gabby - just crap.

Westwood - OK as a back-up player.

Best midfield 3 is Delph, Sanchez and Gil. In more defensive situations, I'd play the 3 (Sanchez/Delph plus Westwood in midfield) with Gil on the wing.

A fantastic option to have in the squad IMO.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I'd like to see this...

-----------------------Guzan-------------------------

Hutton-----Clark/Vlaar-----Okore-----Cissokho

----------------------Sanchez------------------------

-----------Westwood--------Delph-----------------

-------------------------Gil----------------------------

-----------Weimann---------Benteke--------------

or...

-----------------------Guzan-------------------------

Hutton-----Clark/Vlaar-----Okore-----Cissokho

----------------------Sanchez------------------------

-----------Westwood--------Delph-----------------

---Gil-------------------------------------Grealish---

-----------------------Benteke------------------------

If we play 4-4-2 he must start ahead of Cleverley. 

In fact, there is no scenario or team selection where Cleverley should be in ahead of him, Westwood is the better player by a country mile.

In a 4-3-3, he may struggle to get in the side a bit more but I wouldn't be too keen to dive in a say Gil should start all the time there, he's a very attacking player and might not suit playing centre mid, he was much brighter wide today. And of course, we've then got the conundrum of who to play on the wings if Gil does play centrally because Weimann/Gabby/Bacuna have all been poor there this year.

Gil won't be part of a midfield 3 Imo, he was given a free role today with 3 midfielders behind him. Westwood and Delph should come in and play just in front of Sanchez for me.

I'm inclined to agree with you but as we've seen, it can lead to a lack of width, relying on bloomin' Aly & Alan to cross it so much.

Maybe a 4-2-3-1, but we still need another wide man I think. Against Arsenal I'd play Gil RW and put Westwood, Sanchez & Delph central.