Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think the work he does is underrated and he just doesn't get noticed

He's a water carrier and i think one of our best passers his job is to keep it simple and keep the ball moving

He's not going to be like Delph who catches the eye when he drives forward with the ball at his feet

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I think the work he does is underrated and he just doesn't get noticed

He's a water carrier and i think one of our best passers his job is to keep it simple and keep the ball moving

He's not going to be like Delph who catches the eye when he drives forward with the ball at his feet

Nope, like you say they're totally different players. Which I think will complement Sanchez and Delph quite well. That's what I hope and think, as I've said before. Westwood isn't a hard defensive midfield player but has sometimes been to forced to act like one.

• Like 2

This adulation of Westwood is beyond me.When did he ever dictate a game?

Hes a young lad, who might turn out to be ok, but a club of Villas stature should have better 1st team players than Westwood, for me hes no better than GG.

No better than Gary Gardner? Have a word with yourself. Gary Gardner has proven nothing yet, whereas Westy has actually got goals and assists in the PL.

• Like 2

To be fair to GG Stefan he has been injured, and he was always seen as a real potential, and a better player than his brother.You rate Westwood, i don't, i'm not sure how good or bad GG is going to be, but i think he deserves a chance, i know some on here thought before his injury, that he wa going to be an exceptional player.Time will tell.

To be fair to GG Stefan he has been injured, and he was always seen as a real potential, and a better player than his brother.You rate Westwood, i don't, i'm not sure how good or bad GG is going to be, but i think he deserves a chance, i know some on here thought before his injury, that he wa going to be an exceptional player.Time will tell.

I don't rate Westwood highly myself but Gardner has done nothing in the game (yes injuries)

Just like people moaning for Bent to start yesterday, there is always one player we should be picking over another for some people.

To be fair though rodders, a lot of posters on here who have seen GG rated him very highly as a kid.

As i said time will tell.Regarding Westwood, squad player for me at best.

I think the spine of Guzan, Vlaar, Sanchez, and CB is good.Aly, Delph, Okores makes the basis of a good team, and Hutton looked solid yday, so Hernandez and Lestienne......we're sorted.

There's a huge difference between 'potential' and actually playing at the top level, and impressing hugely at times.

And to answer, your original question with just 2 examples. Newcastle away last season. QPR home 2 seasons ago.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I'd like to see Gardner given a chance but you can't say he's as good as or better than westwood yet because he hasn't done anything.

Westwood is decent enough but he's not a starter for a top half premiership team for me.  So if we want to improve westwood needs to become part of the squad.  I think like bacuna he would be a very good squad player to have.  Someone who can fill in and cover for the odd games and someone who can be a decent option of the bench.  But he really should not be starting week in week out.  Now we've signed sanchez, joe cole, richardson and allowed nzogbia to come back I think this is the role westwood will start to play.

• Like 1

For me Westwood is a must starter every week. He consistently puts in good performances, goes about things quietly and effectively and uses the ball well.

I totally agree and also noticed him putting in some really good tackles and intetceptions yesterday. Fair enough he mis-timed one but it was a 50/50 ball that he was stretching for. He will be a better all round player for having played that DMF role the past few seasons.

I totally agree and also noticed him putting in some really good tackles and intetceptions yesterday. Fair enough he mis-timed one but it was a 50/50 ball that he was stretching for. He will be a better all round player for having played that DMF role the past few seasons.

Hmm...strange that as he made zero tackles in the game yesterday.

I rewatched the game last night and he certainly made a couple of tackles around our 18 yard box. Maybe my definition of a tackle is different to whatever website your using to state that he made zero tackles. I'll trust my own judgement on this one.

• Like 1

I thought he completely withdrew once getting the yellow card, I recall no tackles. Not to mention that what statistically constitutes a tackle is simply defined. He made none.

I thought he completely withdrew once getting the yellow card, I recall no tackles. Not to mention that what statistically constitutes a tackle is simply defined. He made none.

He was booked for a tackle but that tackle won't be on the stats as the whistle was blown for a free before that.!

If he's not in the team, we have no other central midfielders who can pass sideways.

This has been proven to be complete and utter B.S. on so many occasions, I'm surprised people still say this.

People seemingly still like to slag players off not even 24 hours after a win.

Shame.

• Like 1