Ashley Westwood

Nabby

You could see an improvement in his effectiveness this season, by Sanchez allowing him to push on.

We'll have to wait and see.

I think it will be Delph that's pushed on.

Haven't we been crying out for the need of an attacking midfield player.

We sign Sanchez, delph is our best midfield player so does that leave room for Westwood? Surely Cole, nzogbia or grealish should play that attacking role otherwise we'll look as toothless going forward as last year.

Cole is injury prone and past it, Nzog hasn't played for a year and shows it, and Grealish is just a kid. Not much competition for Westwood really.

Haven't we been crying out for the need of an attacking midfield player.

We sign Sanchez, delph is our best midfield player so does that leave room for Westwood? Surely Cole, nzogbia or grealish should play that attacking role otherwise we'll look as toothless going forward as last year.

Cole is injury prone and past it, Nzog hasn't played for a year and shows it, and Grealish is just a kid. Not much competition for Westwood really.
Westwood has never played the attacking role so he would be just much a rookie as Grealish or "rusty" in the role as nzog

Article on the OS about Westwood looking forward to "business time".

I know what you're saying Ashley.  Saturday you have to go down to Stoke but today is Wednesday, conditions are perfect.

3614321_orig.gif

EXACTLY what I thought when I first saw that article :D

I've been watching through both seasons of FOTC again recently. So good.

Waaaaaaay better than the **** Mighty **** Boosh.

So Westwood didn't catch him with his studs showing then? Extremely lucky to stay on the field and our players would've reacted in exactly the same way if they were on the receiving end.

So Westwood didn't catch him with his studs showing then? Extremely lucky to stay on the field and our players would've reacted in exactly the same way if they were on the receiving end.

It was a yellow and nothing more. 

Haha give over Isa, it's almost like a you have a vendetta against Westwood at this stage.  You are saying in a different thread that he should be dropped next week for the game at home to Newcastle.  If we drop Westwood then who is gonna put their foot on the ball and dictate the game?  Would you rather we approach our home game like an away game and just play direct?  Hasn't really worked for the past season and I'd rather see us trying to control our home games and Westwood is key to us doing that.  

I didn't see the game Today but I'm delighted to hear that he gave one of the Stoke players a kick as he needs to be strong and aggressive to win his midfield battles, if he adds that to his game then we have an all round quality player. I believe this season people will take a lot more notice of him.

• Like 2

It's hardly a vendetta, I just don't believe he contributes enough to the team. As mentioned numourous times, I believe he seldom ever "dictate games" no matter how much people keep regurgitating otherwise. Also, you speak as if he didn't feature in our home games last season.

Yes, you clearly didn't watch the game or you wouldn't be "delighted" with a blatant studs-up challenge.

Edited by Isa

It's hardly a vendetta, I just don't believe he contributes enough to the team. As mentioned numourous times, I believe he seldom does he ever "dictate games" no matter how much people keep regurgitating otherwise. Also, you speak as if he didn't feature in our home games last season.

Yes, you clearly didn't watch the game or you wouldn't be "delighted" with a blatent studs-up challenge.

He has been sitting back too deep to dictate games, when we play well and control teams he is always at the heart of it and creates loads of dangerous situations with his passing. He should be a lot more prominent in games this season when he is pushed forward more and doesn't have to constantly worry about tracking back. He will probably play in a holding 2 with The Rock a fair few times this season as well so it's good to hear that he is the one giving the kick and not the one taking them.  

He has been sitting back too deep to dictate games, when we play well and control teams he is always at the heart of it and creates loads of dangerous situations with his passing. He should be a lot more prominent in games this season when he is pushed forward more and doesn't have to constantly worry about tracking back. He will probably play in a holding 2 with The Rock a fair few times this season as well so it's good to hear that he is the one giving the kick and not the one taking them.

I hope that Sanchez's arrival does prove to be a catalyst for him to progress his game as you believe it will, I really do. It's just that I don't see what role he is therefore going to morph into.

It does seem like we are going to use more of a No. 10 this season going by what Joe Cole claimed Lambert told him when convincing him to sign and even today we pretty much played Richardson in that role. If we are to assume that Sánchez is to be our anchor and Delph remains more box-to-box, where does that actually leave Westwood? Because he certainly isn't a No. 10.

I didn't see the game Today but I'm delighted to hear that he gave one of the Stoke players a kick as he needs to be strong and aggressive to win his midfield battles, if he adds that to his game then we have an all round quality player. I believe this season people will take a lot more notice of him.

He didn't just give N'Zonzi "a kick". It was a terrible challenge, and he deserved the yellow but it may have been a harsh red.

Tackled like that should be stamped out (pun intended).

It'll be interesting to see what Westwood's role will be once Sanchez gets up to speed and into the line up. Hopefully he'll get more involved in moving the ball forward.

Edited by AVTuco

Westwood is the player I would personally drop from the starting line up to make way for Sanchez, although like everyone he did ok yesterday.

Fair play I think Westwood gives a similar performance every time out which could be viewed as a good thing. My call to drop him would be more to do with what Sanchez could do to the balance of the whole midfield, and not necessarily just a slur on Westwood. 

I just think Ashley is a bit slow and gets overrun every time we're playing a strong team. Maybe he just about did enough to keep his place in the side and keep Sanchez on the bench yesterday though.