Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Why all the hate for Westwood? After all, he is one of us. I personally believe Westy is capable of performing even better with additionally quality around him.

Are pseudo-PR comments like this really necessary? They add nothing to the discussion which was about his footballing contribution. Also, Stan Collymore was "one of us" wasn't he? We should judge players on what they contribute on the pitch rather than whether they have kissed the badge or not.

Pass and move. Always offers an out ball. It's all about ball retention.

And given that we remain a low possession behind-the-ball side, that has little effect on us as a team.

There are 10 other players in the team that affect the statistics

There are 10 other players in the team that affect the statistics

No I am not blaming him for that I am saying that is our set-up under Lambert so his "ticking over" really has little effect. On the other hand, at a club like Swansea that would be great.

Westwoods performance at Newcastle away was one of our best performances by a player all season

If he could do that week in week out he'd be a Man city player by now

He's no Gareth Barry but he's as close to it as we are currently going to get

I've heard it all now.

Westwoods performance at Newcastle away was one of our best performances by a player all season

I've heard it all now.

That was the game he had to go off and we fell apart wasn't it?

Its possible we would have fell apart with him I the pitch anyway but it did edge towards showing how important he is sometimes for us.

To be fair I think he's done well for someone whos made the jump from League One football to starting every week in the PL. He has a few flaws but on the whole he has performed pretty consistantly. We were all raving about him after his first season and rightly so he was a bargain and one of our best players in 12/13. He does have an eye for a pass, i remember that assist at Carrow Road for Gabby in a game we had to win.

He added goals to his game last season which probably would have been Lamberts main issue with him (all of which were good finishes v WBA, Mancs, Hull). But for what he cost, where he came from and how comfortable he is on the ball id argue he's been something of a success. I think he'll do even better this season. He just needs to stay clear of the corners, but with Charlie back hopefully he will sit around the edge of the box from now on ala Gerrard and hopefully pop up with a few of those WBA strikes!

Haven't we been crying out for the need of an attacking midfield player.

We sign Sanchez, delph is our best midfield player so does that leave room for Westwood? Surely Cole, nzogbia or grealish should play that attacking role otherwise we'll look as toothless going forward as last year.

• Like 1

Actually think if we do sign Sanchez we will see the best of Westwood next year. 

I do too. 

Westwood can stop trying to be a defensive midfielder and play his natural game, moving a bit further up the pitch. 

How can anyone expect us to become a possession-based side without players like Westwood? If we want to play decent-looking football and keep the ball once in a while we need him in the team. If we bring in Sanchez or another DM, I expect KEA will be the guy who loses his place.

I think you're missing my point. Paul Lambert will never play possession football. He never has and has a clear preference for counter-attacking. Not that there is anything wrong in that but then it is certainly a tactical paradox that he so favours a player only suited to possession football. In my opinion, Westwood is too one-dimensional to play in any other side than a purely possession based one. This is why he seldom has any real effect on our play and his "ticking over" is superfluous in our system.

• Like 1

I've heard it all now.

That was the game he had to go off and we fell apart wasn't it?

Its possible we would have fell apart with him I the pitch anyway but it did edge towards showing how important he is sometimes for us.

yep that was the one

we looked the more likely winners  ..until Lambert put Bennett on and he gifted them a goal by being lazy  .. rumour was Bertrand was injured tbf rather than a stick to beat Lambert with

• Like 1

I think that's overstating him somewhat Tony.

6 likes to me v none for you suggests otherwise    :P

yeah yeah  i know the world isn't measured by likes on VT   but tbh I'm not really sure where I've over stated him  ..I've called him a poor mans Gareth Barry not Ronaldo

I think his performance against QPR the season before was his best for us. Something absurd like 95 of 96 passes completed, he was absolutely everywhere.

I don't understand the "immobile" comments. I think he's being asked to sit because when he's given a bit more license to roam he's good at it.

• Like 4

Actually think if we do sign Sanchez we will see the best of Westwood next year. 

I agree.

I would also add that part of the problem is a lack of movement in front of him and also the way our full backs get pegged back.

Having Sanchez in there will increase possession and as a consequence, allow our full backs to press higher up the pitch; the more movement and men in front of the ball for Westwood, the better.

• Like 2

Are pseudo-PR comments like this really necessary? They add nothing to the discussion which was about his footballing contribution. Also, Stan Collymore was "one of us" wasn't he? We should judge players on what they contribute on the pitch rather than whether they have kissed the badge or not.

I think those comments are necessary, especially when you see people begrudging a player who has come from League 2 to establishing himself in the top division within two years. It is good to have some appreciation of Westwood's desire to succeed and do well for the club, why would it not be? Put it this way, I favour this sort of publicity, or persudo-PR as you have coined it, to that of dragging the club's name through the mud with bar brawls and broken lamps etc.

I would argue Westwood’s attitude is a driving factor in him being able to make the step up. I personally want people at the club who are going to give their all for the claret and blue cause, it is one reason why I like Westwood. Generally speaking, it must only help players when they form close relationships with their clubs. Some may cynically interpret that as PR or sappy sentimentality but I do believe it makes a difference. Moreover, this is what I believe separated the likes of Stephen Ireland and Olof Mellberg. Players genuinely perform better when they enjoy playing for the club, even more so when they sincerely care about the club they are playing for.

Of course having the best of intentions and a great attitude is no defence for performances. There is no doubt that Ashley Westwood has progressed since arriving. And he has positively contributed to our PL survival. Who can forget Westwood’s goals against Albion and Hull last season? Those goals were important moments and helped to add four points to the objective of staying up.

As you can now see I have based my opinion on Westwood’s football contribution and attitude in conjunction. From my perspective these qualities are interconnected, it has nothing to do with PR or sentimentality. Additionally, I sense a potential captain and view a real quality team player who will hopefully become more consistent. As other posters have alluded to, AW will likely shine when surrounded with better quality.

Finally, I have every belief Westwood will go even further with more quality around him. Hopefully we see Ash continuing his development with us for many successful years to come. UTV

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

Put it this way, I favour this sort of publicity, or persudo-PR as you have coined it, to that of dragging the club's name through the mud with bar brawls and broken lamps etc.

So anyone who states why they don't particularly rate one of our players is ergo "dragging the club's name through the mud"?

Edited by Isa

I think you are confused. I was making a reference to other public incidents that have occurred these past four years, I would rather much see positive stories about our players than ones that bring shame to the individual and the club. It has nothing to do with other posters having a different opinion about the player. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1