Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He would work best if we did a 4231 or a 433. In the 4231 he could be paired up with a DM and play a little further forward but not as a traditional #10.

In a 433, he could be used with Delph and another DM and he and Delph could play further forward and actually make some runs in the box.

He shouldn't be the bottom of the diamond or the main DM.

And we haven't seen a lot of cutting through balls, but let's face it, it's not as if Gabby or Weimann makes those runs regularly. He's made plenty of cross field balls or first time passes into good positions. It's not the same as one that splits the defense open, but when they sit so far back, you can only pass it in between so many players.

Edited by Kwan

He does passes i expect a Premier Lge player to do, he doesn't do passes like Yaya Toure did to Dzeko on sunday.....that is a good passer.

He is probably our best passer, but considering it is the worst bunch of footballers i have had the misfortune to watch down VP in the last 40 years, that is not high praise.

Yaya Toure is not a good passer.... he's a £20 million plus passer.

Westwood is great at passing. Toure is fantastic, but that's probably part of the reason he cost so much.

He does not impose himself on the game. He really is quite anonymous, and to me, the best midfielders are very noticeable

I'd beg to differ. Many fantastic midfielders are most noticeable when they're not there, like Stan. (Note i'm not comparing Westwood to Stan or other fantastic midfielders at this stage of his development)

Ok, we will have to differ. What does the highlighted bit mean, or am I missing something?

He does not impose himself on the game. He really is quite anonymous, and to me, the best midfielders are very noticeable

I'd beg to differ. Many fantastic midfielders are most noticeable when they're not there, like Stan. (Note i'm not comparing Westwood to Stan or other fantastic midfielders at this stage of his development)

Ok, we will have to differ. What does the highlighted bit mean, or am I missing something?

It's the rhetoric that comes from the manager that he does the "unseen work" which in reality is is just a cop-out for when he is totally anonymous and ineffectual. When he plays well, everybody notices it. The idea that we don't notice what he contributes is frankly a bit insulting.

It's the rhetoric that comes from the manager that he does the "unseen work" which in reality is is just a cop-out for when he is totally anonymous and ineffectual. When he plays well, everybody notices it. The idea that we don't notice what he contributes is frankly a bit insulting.

Did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't talking about Westwood, but merely pointing out that some players only become noticeable by their absence, like Petrov?

It's that some very good players have a major effect on their team that's not really noticeable when they're on the pitch, but when they're not playing. It's not a reference to Westwood, but more Petrov. Remember how he never really looked like he was doing all that much most of the time, but when we didn't have him we looked a different side (and not for the better).

KEA is the most akin to that in the current squad. He gets a lot of crap on here, but when he's not playing we look even worse. Sometimes you just need someone to do the easy stuff. It can have a massive effect on the rest of the team

Did you miss the bit where I said I wasn't talking about Westwood, but merely pointing out that some players only become noticeable by their absence, like Petrov?

I was referring to the whole "unseen work" mantra in general rather than your post per se. Though I must say that I was never a fan of Petrov under O'Neill anyway.

I think he was overrated in his first season and didn't start this season well, but he has clearly progressed as the season has gone on, not just in terms of his play but also his attitude. He is far less timid than he used to be.