Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Even if we could have, that would have been like 60-70% of the transfer budget on one player. Not viable given the other areas that needed strengthening too.

• Like 1

I don't know what planet you are on Steffan.

How much did we spend in Summer/Jan?....i'm saying a good midfielder would have been my priority, McCarthy fits the kind of player i would have bought, a good young player, who is going to get better, a bit like Okores if you like.I presume that PL was given a certain amount.£20m?, i would have gone for McCarthy.

2nd point, yes Westwood is an ok player, but you constantly make out he is an exceptional passer, hence the comparison with Cowans..he is not, the fact he is a better than all the other midfielders we currently have is half the proiblem.He is the best passer we have, but hes not that good a passer, and his lack of pace, strength, mobility imho makes him a weakness.

I'm not going to constantly argue with you Steffan, as i say i admire your loyalty to him, i just think its a bit misguided.

It's Stefan. My name is right there.

Again, you're missing what I'm saying. 1) when do we spend 12m on a player? 2) when would McCarthy come here over Everton? 3) You'd spend all that money to replace a player who isn't even one of the biggest problems at the club? 4) You'd keep Bacuna and not Westwood? (and I rate Bacuna) 5) Please show me where I made out he's an 'exceptional passer'. I stated that he's one of our only players with any sort of technical ability. You've created a strawman and defeated that rather than actually debating with that I'm saying.

Yesterday, he was one of the only players who cared. He sprinted around, jumped into tackles and you could tell he was fired up. He made a mistake for the 2nd Fulham goal, but the ball travelled further after that mistake.

I defend him, because I like him as a player. He can play football. I like players that play football. I like him because he genuinely cares about the club. The club I love. As stated, we've got far bigger issues than a midfielder who can pass a ball better than anybody else in the team. He's vastly underrated by many fans because of his role and remit. The non-flashy midfielder will never get the same plaudits as a Delph who runs at people, or a Bacuna who scores the odd FK, but they are just as important to a team.

• Like 4

McCarthy wouldn't have solved any of our problems.

Delph and Westwood can do a job defending and getting the ball to the attackers.

It's the whole part where our forwards or wide forwards or wide midfielders, whatever role they're supposed to be in, are failing HARD.

If we could replace Gabby and Andi with skillful players (I'll even take players who can consistently put in a cross), then we would be much better off.

Exactly. There's no movement in front of the midfield.

Replace Westwood with McCarthy and nothing would be achieved but we'd have spent over 10 million that we didn't need to.

• Like 2

To be fair, our own players names are still regularly misspelled. Why should you get any special treatment? ;)

• Like 1

We spent £7m on Kozak.........now you can argue that a striker wasn't a priority in Jan, but a top quality  midfielder was.So what is our priority now.For me, get the midfield right, and thats half the battle, Delph is good enough, thats it.Fulham were bottom of the league before ydays game, if you can't look good against the bottom of the league, then maybe its because you are not very good.

We spent £7m on Kozak.........now you can argue that a striker wasn't a priority in Jan, but a top quality  midfielder was.So what is our priority now.For me, get the midfield right, and thats half the battle, Delph is good enough, thats it.Fulham were bottom of the league before ydays game, if you can't look good against the bottom of the league, then maybe its because you are not very good.

Not just a midfielder, an attacking midfielder.

I don't know what planet you are on Steffan.

How much did we spend in Summer/Jan?....i'm saying a good midfielder would have been my priority, McCarthy fits the kind of player i would have bought, a good young player, who is going to get better, a bit like Okores if you like.I presume that PL was given a certain amount.£20m?, i would have gone for McCarthy.

2nd point, yes Westwood is an ok player, but you constantly make out he is an exceptional passer, hence the comparison with Cowans..he is not, the fact he is a better than all the other midfielders we currently have is half the proiblem.He is the best passer we have, but hes not that good a passer, and his lack of pace, strength, mobility imho makes him a weakness.

I'm not going to constantly argue with you Steffan, as i say i admire your loyalty to him, i just think its a bit misguided.

• Like 1

Just over 4m.

For the millionth time on this forum, we didnt spend 7m on kozak. The same debates repeated over and over.

For the millionth time, yes we did.  And if we didn't, then all of the other players we bought cost a lot more than reported.

Westwood is a good player but running round knocking people off the ball putting in tackles isn't his game. If he had players in front of him making intelligent runs and receiving the ball with a good touch he would look twice the player he looks now. Our biggest weakness right now is we turnover possession to easily under no pressure and we don't have a outlet ball like how Young would always be available to take ball from our half into opponents last third. Midfield 3 of kea Westwood Delph is decent enough if we had better quality infront of the midfield 3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why does he still take those terrible corners? Surely its clear to see that the floating corners do not work for us. Terrible!

And I thought the only reason he took floated corners is because Benteke told him too?