Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Not a big fan of Westwood tbh, gave away the ball for their winner, but i am going to defend him today, for me hes not positive enough, was too deep in the 1st half, but he has got a good pass on him.He should be encouraged to be more positive.I don't think he will be the player some on here think he will be, but he would be better if he was more positive.

Westwood played good today.

What?

He was good at passing sideways, that's it. Gave the ball away numerous times, especially for Foolham's winning goal. He was cack, but so were they all.

I thought he did alright looked like one of the few players who had a clue.

He was incredibly deep first half but it took me about 30mins to figure out what formation we were playing.

Think with the diamond Lambert recognised we were going to struggle to score with the "talent" on show so we needed to go for it even if it meant losing the midfield and ceding control and chances.

It was a battle of who's the shittest and we lost

Westwood to me is one of many Villa players who can only pass the ball in the direction he's facing, backwards most the time in the first half. God knows why Lambert rates him so highly, there again i could be wrong as i never rated Delph but that has been proven wrong this season. Westwood needs to grow a pair and start turning and running at the opponents insted of pussyfooting it back to Baker/Vlaar to pump it back to Guzan.

I said we should have bought McCarthy, we spent £7m on Kozak, so we had the money, and McCarthy and Delph would have been a much better pairing.

I hope we have a new manager for next season, and for me the only current midfielder i would keep is Delph, the rest are not PL quality imho.

I said we should have bought McCarthy, we spent £7m on Kozak, so we had the money, and McCarthy and Delph would have been a much better pairing.

I hope we have a new manager for next season, and for me the only current midfielder i would keep is Delph, the rest are not PL quality imho.

It's not as simple as that unfortunately.

Shame that McCarthy was 12m then eh?

• Like 3

£7m for Kozak, £2m for Luna, £1.5m for Helenius, 3 players who aren't in the 1st team who we didn't need.We can't compete with a lot of teams financially, but Everton is one of them.

Your constant support of Westwood is very noble, but sometimes illogical Stefan.I really hope he becomes as good as you think he will be.

Eh?

How is saying that McCarthy cost 12m in any way, shape or form a defence of Westwood?

You're creating a strawman. To be honest though, I'm not sure why you continue to post in this thread. You've already admitted that you'll never give him a fair crack of the whip in another post, so what else can you add to the debate?

Thats the idea of a forum, you voice your opinion.

I stated, with the combined budget that we had over summer/Jan, i would have replaced Westwood/Gabby and /Weimann, either with buys or loans, McCarthy would have been a player i would have tried to sign, to replace Westwood, you inferred we couldn't get McCarthy, i beg to differ.

You like him, i don't, get over it.

On what planet could we have got McCarthy? When was the last time we spent over 10m on a player? Why would he come to us over Everton?

There are far bigger problems in the team/squad than Westwood. He's one of our only players with any sort of ability on the ball. I presume you missed his range of passing yesterday?

Ah so the McCarthy argument is just dropped instantly? Cool.

And yeah, one lazy pass on the 86th (?) minute. It was shit, but again, one of our only players who can actually pass a ball. And you want him gone? Genius thinking.

Finally, who compared him to Cowans? Straw man argument again!

Edited by StefanAVFC

The money and remit isn't there for a McCarthy type signing, end of. 

It's a sad indictment of where we are now, Everton, a side we were not long a go slugging it out with for 5th/6th, now have a squad and manager we could only dream of. 

I don't know what planet you are on Steffan.

How much did we spend in Summer/Jan?....i'm saying a good midfielder would have been my priority, McCarthy fits the kind of player i would have bought, a good young player, who is going to get better, a bit like Okores if you like.I presume that PL was given a certain amount.£20m?, i would have gone for McCarthy.

2nd point, yes Westwood is an ok player, but you constantly make out he is an exceptional passer, hence the comparison with Cowans..he is not, the fact he is a better than all the other midfielders we currently have is half the proiblem.He is the best passer we have, but hes not that good a passer, and his lack of pace, strength, mobility imho makes him a weakness.

I'm not going to constantly argue with you Steffan, as i say i admire your loyalty to him, i just think its a bit misguided.

With good leadership though DR, and a vision of the direction we are going to go in, then we could be Everton in 2 years time.

A team with Guzan, Okores, Delph, Bacuna , CB, is a good base, alongside Vlaar, is a good base.The rest need replacing.

With good leadership though DR, and a vision of the direction we are going to go in, then we could be Everton in 2 years time.

A team with Guzan, Okores, Delph, Bacuna , CB, is a good base, alongside Vlaar, is a good base.The rest need replacing.

I don't disagree with that sentiment but sadly don't see it happening. What I see happening is more of the same i.e. continuing plunge into utter mediocrity.