Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He was excellent yesterday, easily the best player.

Shame he had to go off, maybe we'd have gotten something if he'd stayed on (although our problem run much deeper than that)

Underrated.

If anyone can find a gif of that touch in the first half I'll love them.

Was our best player and we went to pieces when he went off.Was directing play for us nicely would of held on for a draw if he had stayed on.

We likely would of scored and won if he had of stayed on.  He is so underrated.  He sets up so much of our good attacking play with quick incisive passing, it was obvious to everyone yesterday how important he is to us as when he went off we were crap and offered nothing going forward. We had no one who could play a decent pass to set us up on the counter, he has been putting in solid displays for the last couple of months and would have such a bigger impact on games if he had a proper defensive midfielder behind him which would allow him to concentrate what he is good at.

worrying that he made most passes on our team and only played hour :o

Niall Quinn (I think?) gave him man of the match on Sky - despite only playing for an hour.  Top game.

Possibly the only intelligent bit of commentary that guy's ever done :)

• Like 3

Same Delph that can't pick a pass to save his life?

I love Delph but highly overrated here just because he can skin someone every now and then and bang in an odd goal.

He struggled in the same role because he doesn't immediately know where his next pass is going to go. Spends far too much time on the ball thinking.

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

I love Delph but highly overrated here just because he can skin someone every now and then and bang in an odd goal.

He's not the perfect midfield player but he's the best one we have and IMO is the only one good enough to play for a top half team.

We likely would of scored and won if he had of stayed on.

How this come this doesn't happen more often then? How come we don't score more and win more with him on the pitch if it was likely to happen yesterday?

I was talking about the game vs Newcastle,its obvious to anyone who has a clue that he was pulling the strings and setting us up with good attacks when he was on the pitch.  So why would that of changed if he stayed on?   

Maybe we don't score more and win more because our strikers have all been crap for the majority of the season?  

We likely would of scored and won if he had of stayed on.

How this come this doesn't happen more often then? How come we don't score more and win more with him on the pitch if it was likely to happen yesterday?

I was talking about the game vs Newcastle,its obvious to anyone who has a clue that he was pulling the strings and setting us up with good attacks when he was on the pitch.  So why would that of changed if he stayed on?   

Maybe we don't score more and win more because our strikers have all been crap for the majority of the season?  

Yes its the strikers have only performed spasmodically this season. Westwood is under-rated and Delph over-rated. I'm not saying that Delph isn't a good player but he looses the ball too many times in possession for my liking.

He's not the perfect midfield player but he's the best one we have and IMO is the only one good enough to play for a top half team.

It's more COULD BE good enough to play for a top half team.  If Delph managed to cut out the headless chicken running, didn't fanny about on the ball and lose it as often or could actually find a pass, he'd be a good midfielder.  There's still more to come from him, I'm sure of that.

For the time being, though, it's fairly reassuring that Westwood does the simple things well but none of the flair stuff.  Our major problem in midfield is El Ahmadi.