Ashley Westwood

Nabby

No problem with him starting most games for us. Big fan.

Our style of give it the big hump doesn't really suit him I wouldn't say.

In a 4-3-3 he can definitely play, 4-4-2 he struggles more certainly, but I'd be looking to replace a centre half, both wide players, and maybe a striker before him.

In nearly two years I am still yet to see anything to get excited about.

I don't want to turn into Con, but here's some GIFs:

Gabby_2.gif

Plus a post from this thread in October:

Westwood's pass to set up Gabby's cross to Benteke versus Rotherham

Benteke1a_medium.gif

Ashley Westwood cross for Agbonlahor against Everton

Agbonlahor_Goal_1_medium.gif

Plus his pass that set up Benteke's goal v Liverpool last season (which I can't find), and the many much simpler and calmer passes he makes. He is a very good passer when confident.

The main problem with Westwood is that he is relied upon to much to be our DM, which he isn't very good at, and it seems to knock his confidence so he goes into his shell with his passing, so doesn't play the better, more piercing passes that he can do. If he had someone next to him who did the dirty work for him, I'm fully confident he would be much better going forward and get more assists, but currently it seems he's holding back as he's looks worried about leaving himself exposed defensively. It also doesn't help when the full backs bypass the midfield and go straight for Benteke.

Is that a wind up? One cross, an excellent pass and a bog standard pass. Like I said, nothing to get excited about. 

Midfield did'nt fall to pieces at all, i actually think Ddelph played better in that role than Westwood did, the problem is Sylla and KEA , alongside Weimann and Gabby were absolutely awful today, the quality of football is non-existant, Westwood is ok, no more than that, the fact that he is one of our better footballers/passers, sums up our problems to me.

Midfield did'nt fall to pieces at all, i actually think Ddelph played better in that role than Westwood did, the problem is Sylla and KEA , alongside Weimann and Gabby were absolutely awful today, the quality of football is non-existant, Westwood is ok, no more than that, the fact that he is one of our better footballers/passers, sums up our problems to me.

Wow you couldn't be more wrong, Westwood set up so much of our good attacking play with great passing when he was on the pitch.  What did Delph do that was better than Westwoods contribution?

Was easily our best player today imo.

Some of his touches were fantastic, he was constantly making space for himself and the rest of the midfield, made some nice passes and even some good tackles. In essence, he dictated the midfield today.

Hopefully he'll be back soon, I never want to see Delph that close to our box again. The midfield just looked lost without him and didn't really know what to do.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

For all the flak he gets we fell apart the moment he walked off the pitch. Underrated IMO.

Agreed. If Westwood can learn to impose himself more physically he'll be a top player for us. And yes him going off, our best player on the day for (in my opinion) one of if not the worst players we've ever had had an inevitable outcome.

He had some fantastic first touches early on in tight situations that got his confidence going and he bloomed from then on. Shame he got injured at that stage, Sylla is hardly like-for-like in terms of technique.

Three or four times, he had someone on his back and he would just take one touch to turn away, nullify them, and get the attack going. One of the only players today that didn't dawdle on the ball and passed it first time.