Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Hilarious the abuse he's getting on here. The big worry this time last year was his 'inevitable' move to Man Utd in the next few years because we're a selling club with no ambition. Now he's not worthy of the shirt...... Brilliant

Edited by El-Reacho
  • Like 2

Hilarious the abuse he's getting on here. The big worry this time last year was his 'evitable' move to Man Utd in the next few years because we're a selling club with no ambition. Now he's not worthy of the shirt...... Brilliant

Really, people were worried about him moving to Man U?!

Yes, and my wife is worried I'm going to run off with Angelina Jolie.

edit: is 'evitable' the opposite of 'inevitable'?  In whcih case your post isn't as ridiculous as it first appears.

Edited by Risso

Check out this thread from last year and you can see how highly people rated him on VT 12 months ago. There are even comparisons with Michael Carrick, and a discussion about his loyalty when the big clubs do come calling.

Fast forward 12 months and he's now labelled the worst player to ever worn the shirt, and has been crap ever since he arrived.

Just making the point about the complete lack of any perspective on VT.

I think if you picked any League 1 midfielder and dropped them into the Premier League, they'd try to do what Westwood does, ie pass the ball as quickly and easily to somebody else and not show any responsibility at all for creating chances or moving into space etc.  He really isn't good enough.

Hasn't he got the most assists in the whole squad since he joined?

Got to hand it to you though, turning good passing into a negative is pretty special.

He's got 1 assist all season!

And 6 last season apparently.

So 7 since he joined. More than anyone else.

Not bad for someone who does "not show any responsibility at all for creating chances".

But yeah, I'm sure he only passes the ball because he doesn't want any responsibility. That really is one of the most bizarre criticisms I've ever seen levelled at one of our players.

I thought Westwood and KEA were appalling, and have been all season.

Westwood didn't get close to any of their players last night, and does not track his runner at all. The man runs past and Westwood points at him. That's all well and good if he is passing the man on to someone, but often it was to one of the centre halves who had Giroud and/or Ozil to deal with as well. Both midfielders were constantly ten yards of their man for most of the game, and this was summed up when Wilshere wondered into our area and scored. A lot of our problems this season have been because we have a very poor midfield.

Interestingly, I thought Delph was the worst of our central midfield.

I agree about the pointing and the positioning with Westwood - it does my head in. But I wonder about them being "10 yards off their man".

I don't disagree with you, but think it has more to do with the oppositions superior numbers in midfield than anything else. I'm pretty sure Arsenal play 4-5-1 with Giroud the only out-and-out forward. Our midfield is almost always chasing shadows - especially when we only have 3.

Yes agree with you about Delph. I cut him some slack because he played well up to the Southampton game. However, even he has under performed recently as well.

Ten yards just an observation after I noticed we didn't track Wilshere for the first. Both of them were not close enough to Arsenal for the first hour or so.

Hilarious the abuse he's getting on here. The big worry this time last year was his 'inevitable' move to Man Utd in the next few years because we're a selling club with no ambition. Now he's not worthy of the shirt...... Brilliant

I've just gone back to look at the posts for a couple of weeks around 14th January 2013 and this "big worry" isn't much in evidence. One poster did say he thought Westwood would replace Carrick in 3/4 seasons. There was praise for his passing and corner taking but there were quite a few voices saying he wasn't strong enough defensively. He had just come back from injury and the games we played were 0-1 at home to Southampton and 2-2 away to the Baggies, so defensive capacity was particularly under the spotlight.

Been off form for most of the season but I think he's been better recently. He would greatly improve having a number 10 infront of him making more space in the final third.

I agree he was really sloppy defensively, lets too many midfield runners go. Who was supposed to be tracking Wilshere's run on Monday night for example? Going by a few previous goals we've conceded, wouldn't shock me if Westwood was supposed to be tracking him.

I've just gone back to look at the posts for a couple of weeks around 14th January 2013 and this "big worry" isn't much in evidence. One poster did say he thought Westwood would replace Carrick in 3/4 seasons. There was praise for his passing and corner taking but there were quite a few voices saying he wasn't strong enough defensively. He had just come back from injury and the games we played were 0-1 at home to Southampton and 2-2 away to the Baggies, so defensive capacity was particularly under the spotlight.

There's plenty of quotes after the Sunderland/Utd/Arsenal games before Christmas last season - they were his first few games for the club. It's a good reminder of how seriously highly he was thought of after those performances and the potential he still has. He was also getting singled out in the media around that time as one to watch.

My point is to say that he's the worst player to ever pull on a Villa jersey because of his current performances is utterly ridiculous. Weimann, Lowton, Westwood, Benteke, and Delph have at different times shown themselves to be some of the top players in the PL and also some of the worst players in the PL. Surely you have to strike a medium between the two extremes.

• 2 weeks later...

He was poor again but hes still a very good squad player. I just think we need a better starting midfielder alongside Delph. Two actually. Westwood should be squad rotation or back up.

• Like 1

He hit a few bad passes today but he is our only midfielder that always tries to pass it forward quickly and he isn't afraid to try low percentage balls.  Still room for improvement but he is an important player for us

• Like 1

He hit a few bad passes today but he is our only midfielder that always tries to pass it forward quickly and he isn't afraid to try low percentage balls. Still room for improvement but he is an important player for us

This. The only problem with him is that he can't play in 2 man midfield, he has to have players around him.