Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I like Westwood, but he needs to work harder off the ball.

His pressing isn't intense, consistent or intelligent enough.

Needs to be aware if he runs out of position to work back in.

Fair shout to those saying not to play him against better teams, he's probably more useful against teams we're going to have the ball a bit more. But I'd rather he just had a look at his own positioning and worked hard to improve his fitness.

i dont rate kea,i dont think he has the quality we need to progress,yes he was cheap etc & worth a punt but thats it for me.

theirs many players in this league who could replace kea, it just takes the manager to do the right thing- tell the owner we need a experienced player,every team in this league has one

we all know who they are.

why oh why are we with out one?

Vlaar and el ahmadi are both pretty experienced, and they're not two of the best players in the team. Think you're confusing quality with experience

i dont rate kea,i dont think he has the quality we need to progress,yes he was cheap etc & worth a punt but thats it for me.

theirs many players in this league who could replace kea, it just takes the manager to do the right thing- tell the owner we need a experienced player,every team in this league has one

we all know who they are.

why oh why are we with out one?

KEA wins us the ball more than any other midfielder. There is no point having fine ball players if they haven't got the ball.

I think people just need someone to point the finger at when we aren't playing too well. Westwood is easy as most of his work goes unnoticed. On multiple occasions on the weekend he was back covering in the center of defense and he always keeps the ball moving. Remember the days of barry/petrov/sidwell etc midfield where we would hold onto the ball for way too long instead of giving and going? I certainly found it frustrating. Right now its not working due to us playing 3 midfielders who are similar (dogged/good passers - not much going forward besides delph running past players). If we had a good AM i think things would look a lot different.

• Like 3

Like a bunch of women in here. Overreactions galore

3/4 home defeats in the league so far. When do you start to get concerned?
We have played Liverpool, City, Spurs, and Newcastle.

I'm incredibly unconcerned.

Newcastle aren't comparable to either of Liverpool and Spurs, who will both finish in the top 5 this season; bigger picture is 3 points from 12 at home is a disgrace, should be more like 4 or 6.

3s a disgrace and 4 is fine? Seems a really small difference in that, like the fingertips of Simon mignolet

4 is better than 3 ;) and the fact of the matter is before the season looking at the first 4 home games, knowing we already struggle against teams at home and the quality we were up against, I would of been happy with 5 beating Newcastle and drawing against Spurs and Liverpool. 

Westwood needs to be dropped, even though KEA is the only option I would still drop him just for a reality check.

Edited by Avflife

Bigger picture is that 3 points from those fixtures are right on mark for the club right now. Anything more and you don't understand the squad we have.

Since when was it acceptable for a club like Villa to lose 3 out of the first 4 league games at home? Have you no pride in the club?

Hate this attitude in our fans, just because we have history, doesn't mean we're entitled to anything. I don't understand how your viewing this, in plain black and white statistics, of 3 loses. Not taking into account quality of oppositions. Etc.

Spurs IMO will finish top 4 this year. Not on our level. We were competitive for the most part of the match. Had Benteke scored I think it would have been a different outcome but we couldnt take our only clear cut chance in the game.

What's all this got to do with Westwood? IMO it's the Carrick treatment, doesn't get the recognition he deserves when things are going well.

I think people just need someone to point the finger at when we aren't playing too well. Westwood is easy as most of his work goes unnoticed. On multiple occasions on the weekend he was back covering in the center of defense and he always keeps the ball moving. Remember the days of barry/petrov/sidwell etc midfield where we would hold onto the ball for way too long instead of giving and going? I certainly found it frustrating. Right now its not working due to us playing 3 midfielders who are similar (dogged/good passers - not much going forward besides delph running past players). If we had a good AM i think things would look a lot different.

In general I agree with everything you've said. But I think a lot on here are big Westwood fans but just feel he is struggling with his form. Yes he did a bit of covering and I thought defensively he did ok, except for dithering on the second goal.

However he most certainly did not "keep the ball moving" on Sunday. That is what he is in the side to do and Tottenham effectively removed him from the game with the way they set up. Dissapointingly he was not able to combat that by finding his own space and imposing himself on the game. Delph did do that pretty much on his own in the second half.

Convinced Westwood he will be great for us long term but as with Weimann I think his confidence is actually a little low right now, maybe injuries or something I'm not sure

Good post.

Been saying this for quite some time that the balance is wrong in midfield. I also think we're a little too lightweight as well and need a bit more physicality.

Westwood is excellent at making himself available for a pass, alot of his work is off the ball. One issue on sunday was the lack of movement up front at times which then limited the options for the midfield. It was evident when Delph picked up the ball and beat about 3 Spurs players without moving forward - there wasn't an option to play the ball forward because the strikers were static.

Personally I'd go back to a midfield of Westwood, Delph and Sylla and we may then see the form of Westwood improve.

most of his work goes unnoticed.

It doesn't though, he just doesn't do alot and doesn't really control the game enough. From what I have seen he's an average player. A poor man's Michael Carrick. Maybe he'll improve but he definitely needs to as anytime we play any side with a half decent midfield he's out of his depth. Against poorer opposition he looks better, especially when we are on the front foot but that's when it's easy. If you are going to play where he does you need to be at your best when your team is under the cosh.

• Like 1

Westwood is excellent at making himself available for a pass, alot of his work is off the ball.

How did this help us on Sunday? The Tottenham game was another indication what a passenger he is when we are not dominating possession. In his own words, his role is to 'protect the defense' and his fails miserably at this time and again.

Good post.

Been saying this for quite some time that the balance is wrong in midfield. I also think we're a little too lightweight as well and need a bit more physicality.

I am not sure that is it though. Any opposing holding midfielder(s) really don't have much to worry about aside from our forwards running into their space. Imagine a holtby type player instead of KEA for example giving opposing midfielders something to worry about. We make their job very easy as they can sit in front of their back 4 and see all 3 of our midfield in front of them. With an intelligent AM in there it would mean these players getting dragged around or at least having their attention divided more than it currently is. Right now we rely far too much on the rapid attacks of our front three in transition and our midfield trio are just in there for hard work which i don't think suits westwoods passing game or work off the ball. That is what i think anyhow. 

Good post.

I am not sure that is it though. Any opposing holding midfielder(s) really don't have much to worry about aside from our forwards running into their space. Imagine a holtby type player instead of KEA for example giving opposing midfielders something to worry about. We make their job very easy as they can sit in front of their back 4 and see all 3 of our midfield in front of them. With an intelligent AM in there it would mean these players getting dragged around or at least having their attention divided more than it currently is. Right now we rely far too much on the rapid attacks of our front three in transition and our midfield trio are just in there for hard work which i don't think suits westwoods passing game or work off the ball. That is what i think anyhow. 

Good post, i very much agree. There is a place for Westwood in the team playing the Carrick role but I'd prefer Delph playing a more advance role. he makes lots of runs from deep positions beating players. It seems that each season we have to have players to pick on. this season its Weimann and Westwood. I see their value in the team!

The whole set up of the midfield is just wrong. 433 with an out of form Westwood and Weimann means we have no width or cutting edge, meaning our one hope is a punt up to Kozak or Benteke. It's horrible football to watch, and isn't going to see us finish in the top half any time soon. No support to either the defence or attack, and Westwood is symptomatic of the general midfield malaise.

Good post.

Good post, i very much agree. There is a place for Westwood in the team playing the Carrick role but I'd prefer Delph playing a more advance role. he makes lots of runs from deep positions beating players. It seems that each season we have to have players to pick on. this season its Weimann and Westwood. I see their value in the team!

But the theme of your posts suggest that our midfield isn't functioning properly so there must be a reason for that.

To be blunt our midfield players lack quality and physicality and that's why we will continue to produce poor football.

Are we all forgetting that cutback for Weimann in the first half for our best chance of the game? How many other of our midfielders have the awareness and vision to pull that off? He hasn't hit the heights of last season yet (far from it) and his set pieces are pretty bad, but he hasn't been awful or anything otherwise. Let's not overre...oh yeah

Good post.

But the theme of your posts suggest that our midfield isn't functioning properly so there must be a reason for that.

To be blunt our midfield players lack quality and physicality and that's why we will continue to produce poor football.

I don't know I think we spend to much time chasing the ball that when we get it we just give it away.  

Westwood is excellent at making himself available for a pass, alot of his work is off the ball.

How did this help us on Sunday? The Tottenham game was another indication what a passenger he is when we are not dominating possession. In his own words, his role is to 'protect the defense' and his fails miserably at this time and again.

Are you seriously asking why it is important to make yourself available for a pass? Until they scored they weren't hurting us and the second goal came as a result of us chasing the game. 

It's only his second season in the premier league and you clearly won't cut the kid any slack. 

Are you seriously asking why it is important to make yourself available for a pass? Until they scored they weren't hurting us and the second goal came as a result of us chasing the game. 

It's only his second season in the premier league and you clearly won't cut the kid any slack.

That doesn't really answer the question. Obviously in theory finding space to receive the ball is good but what effect did he have on the game on Sunday? 37% possession is your answer...

Also, I don't know about you but the second season is generally when I start making judgements on players. It is the first season that I will cut players some slack.