Richard Dunne

Zatman

I rate Dunne as a player, but does he still have the legs? I doubt it personally.

3 seasons ago he was good, now he's just a cart horse. If Stoke really do want him I'd bite their arm off at 3 million.*

*I read the transfer guff thread, not the Daily Star.

Nobody is going to give us £3m for a soon to be 33, cart horse defender that is way past his best, currently injured and has under 12 months left on his contract.

Personally I can't see Stoke or anyone else paying £3 to take him off our hands let alone £3m, in fact I'd go as far as saying the link in the Star is perhaps the daftest link of the summer.

Dunne is just another expensive lump who's wages we are likely to be stuck with until hi contract expires and he leaves for free. Another crap O'Neill signing that was short term and expensive.

Nobody is going to give us £3m for a soon to be 33, cart horse defender that is way past his best, currently injured and has under 12 months left on his contract.

Personally I can't see Stoke or anyone else paying £3 to take him off our hands let alone £3m, in fact I'd go as far as saying the link in the Star is perhaps the daftest link of the summer.

Dunne is just another expensive lump who's wages we are likely to be stuck with until hi contract expires and he leaves for free. Another crap O'Neill signing that was short term and expensive.

I would agree but then again Stoke do some funny things in transfer windows.

The fact that his name has cropped up is more interesting as it suggests that either his agent or Villa are maybe putting out feelers.

My view of Dunne is that he was a good defender but he is now quite a way past his best, still good but past his best.

I quite like the idea of keeping a fit Dunne for this season (his last I think) whilst we see whether Clark and Baker have what it takes. On the other hand with his wages at £50k-£60k per week we could get someone at half that price and probably better

What you see is what you get with O'Neill's defenders all blood and thunder, useless with the ball, and given the task of just getting a body in the way or heading things they can cope just about, Problem is once O'Neill left it was quite clear they couldn't give a shit. Not sure how he got half decent performances out of them tbh. you could barely call them professionals with the way most behaved. Once dunne and Warnock are gone i'll be happy, the last of some very expensive, short termism mistakes.

Sorry Trentvilla, Dunne was an excellent signing. His fitness and his legs are definitely issues but as a defender he was a class act
An excellent signing? Decent for a season, but an absolute liability most of the time for the following 2.

A class act? Never. Makes far too many mistakes to ever be considered a class act, and has done for all his career - you can ask any citeh fan, and they'll tell you that as much as they loved him, he always had a mistake in him.

He should be released if another club are interested, but I suspect he will stay and pick up his large wage for one more season as this is his last big payday unless he goes stateside.

When we signed Dunne he had something to prove to Man C fans and the footballing world in general, which meant we saw the best of him for a season. Now we're left with the shell of a player who has no more ambition and no particular affiliation to the claret and blue.

He was I believe City's player of the season 3 years running. Obviously they agreed to let him go so they knew he didn't perhaps have the legs to be challenging at the top of the league but I just don't get everyone's short-term views here. Players are either amazing or shite, I don't agree.

Though I do agree that he's not the future and he's struggled under the last few regimes (who hasn't?) he's proved himself to have been an above-average Premier League defender throughout his career.

Not sure if its anything to do with being Irish its just that he's been a blood, guts and hoof defender who has always been prone to mistakes and for those reasons has fallen short of playing for a team who would consistently challenge for honours.

Dunne's as relic, had he'd been born 20 years earlier and played in the 80's or early 90's he'd been an very good defender.

In modern topflight football there is (or shouldn't be) any room for players like him.

When MON signed him i didn't know if i should laugh or cry. One of those players along with Heskey that i always saw as a joke when they played for other clubs.

Dunne's first season was very good, but after that it's been just as bad as i feared.

I know he was injured but Dunne was THE worst player by far in the Euros bar none, at 33 i strongly doubt he'll ever return to any sort of form again

Dunne is such an overrated player. Gets a lot of plaudits because he's Irish and because he "puts his body on the line".

this is the weirdest statement ever, Paul McShane never got praise cause he is irish

If we get £3m we should drive him to Stoke.

Drive him??? I'll **** carry him!

Rather you than me ;)

To be fair, Dunne had a great season with Collins during MON days, where they were one of the top defensive CB pairs in the league.

It just went downhill from there onwards.

Time to go :wave:

Â