Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It's not inconceivable they could find top 7 form and survive especially with 7 or 8 new players Harry will be bringing in. Regardless, there's still 2 other relegation places with our name firmly on them.

Yeah but people were saying that they would be fine this season given the players they brought in in the summer.

There have been 17 Premier League seasons since we went to 38 games a year - in three of those, we conceded less goals throughout the entire season than we have so far in this season.

We've conceded 39 this year, level with the whole of the 2009-10 season; our last one under Martin O'Neill.

Our worst season amongst those 17 was 2010-11 under MacDonald/Houllier/McAllister when we conceded 59 - we'll need to concede less than 20 in our next 19 games if we're not to beat that this season.

We've scored 15 thus far this term - our worst total to date is 37 - which was last season - to beat that we'll need to score 23 more in our next nineteen.

In 2007-08 we scored 71.

It's not a pretty picture.

there are and will be more than that come the end of the season, honest!

Rich, come on mate, own up! You've seen Lerner's Christmas presents to Lambert, haven't you?!

To be fair, Reading have looked a team capable of taking a hammering at will all season and so have Southampton, so at least we're not alone!

I like your optimism Rich. I just hope that Lerner dips into that vast bank account and helps out our manager because without the money Lambert will have to start praying for miracles.

Thank heavens Liverpool are doing the business against QPR. Our only hope is that the current bottom 3 are even more crap than we are.

I think they are. The fact that we can have the worst goalscoring record and worst defensive record in the league and still not be in the relegation zone points to that.

I do think this year will be a surprising high number of points to stay up even mid 40s could be possibility

Really? I was looking at it and thinking the opposite - QPR won't get thirty, Reading will struggle to get much above that and I can see four or five other teams not making it to forty points this season (us included) - 38 usually keeps you up, I reckon 37 might be enough this term.

Southampton look like they're playing better than us and while they're shipping goals they're scoring more than us. The game against them in January will give us an idea of how big a task we have especially if they turn their game in hand into points.

• Like 1

Southampton look like they're playing better than us and while they're shipping goals they're scoring more than us. The game against them in January will give us an idea of how big a task we have especially if they turn their game in hand into points.

Southampton have have had some defensive problems, particularly goalkeeping errors.

They've yet to have an injury crisis, just one player injured. We had 9 injured prior to yesterday's game, including two CBs. Injuries could affect their quite impressive attack in the last games of the season and make their defence leakier.

Their small squad could also become fatigued, and rotation of mainstays with bit-players could impact on performance even worse than occurs at Villa.

If we buy experience in the window, with Vlaar back into central defence, we should be able to maintain a stronger final push, even if Southampton beat us at home in a few weeks time, which they are capable of doing.

Swansea (A)

West Brom (A)

Southampton (H)

Newcastle (H)

Everton (A)

West Ham (H)

Arsenal (A)

Man City (H)

Reading (A)

QPR (H)

Liverpool (H)

Stoke (A)

Fulham (H)

Man Utd (A)

Sunderland (H)

Norwich (A)

Chelsea (H)

Wigan (A)

Those are our final 18 games.. How many of those in our current form are winnable? I don't see a run of games that we could win to get our confidence back. Now if we get better then there are a possible 9 winnable games there but it's not looking great. I am trying to stay optimistic and maybe all will change after the January window, but by then we could have already been slaughtered by Swansea, West Brom, Southampton and Newcastle and I consider those some of the 9 winnable games lol.

Really? It's not like you mention it every single thread every 5 mins.

I gotta admit, I really do not understand this debate. I have not seen anyone saying that all is good now or that we have a massive improvement.

Some of us has seen signs of improvement from last year, and even though you could argue that the last three matches has made it less clear that things look better, I would say that I am still optimistic that we will be in a much better situation at the end of this season than at the end of last season.

I will keep telling that until I see things different again.