Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

its sad that some posters can't admit to being wrong.

I won't admit to being wrong just yet but yesterday's performance appalled me.

After our unbeaten run I really thought that we had turned the corner, that Lambert's strategy was beginning to get traction and that we would move onwards and upwards. I didn't expect anything from Chelsea or Spurs but the nature of those defeats shocked me - I absolutely thought we would beat Wigan to begin the New Year in a decent position

What scares me most is that I don't believe that Lambert is a bad manager - yes we've had bad injury problems but even with everyone fit we have a very poor squad. To see Lambert being interviewed (I think on the BBC) and have to choose his words so carefully when being asked about the need for investment, for me is the most worrying thing of all.

With proper investment (I think we need 5 more decent players), I still believe we will be all right. Without it or with bare minimum investment we are in serious trouble

• Like 1

The main focus has to be on buying a couple of decent midfielders as this is one of the weakest areas of our team supplemented by at least one decent centre half and possibly another striker to play alongside Benteke (I think Bent will be off in January).

Somehow I can't see this happening though.

So more wins and points in our last 18 games than we have achieved in our first 20 games ought to do it then.

After some more decent investment yes.

We need to get some midfielders that can supply strikers.

Along with defenders that can defend.

I see similarities with Wolverhampton and Staale Solbakken's struggles. As Staale said to Dagbladet yesterday about his team's performance:

It is only one thing to say what I feel now: Heavy as hell. After four good matches, it was bloody awful against Peterborough. It was repeated today. After Ipswich scored their first, we fell completely apart, just like we did after Peterborough's first goal. And it seems like we neither can or dare. I have no idea why.

We opened well today too. Then disaster. We were vert bad after 0-1, and the worst part is that I don't know why. Might be a confidence thing.

When we play as bad as we have done in the last two matches, my pride take a hit. It is painful to watch good football players do the opposite of what they should do in most situations. And that I can't help them from the bench is the worst. Because I know they can better.

I would think Lambert feel the same thing. He know the players have better abilities, he can see that in training every day. But they do all the wrong things all the time.

Example is one of the goals against Chelsea: First Benteke can play the ball from the wing out at Ireland near the penalty mark. He misses with two metres, and Tottenham pick up the ball and strike it forward. Then Clark has the most easy job ever: He can play the ball to three available Villa players. Instead he just hit it forward, so that Tottenham pick it up and counter attack. Then Bennett can either play the ball out for a throw in or back to the keeper. But he choses to tackle it and play it in the middle, where there are several Tottenham players. They obviously win the ball and go on and score.

Frustrating, to say the least.

and possibly another striker to play alongside Benteke

To be fair, I think Benteke and Weimann have a good understanding. Give Andy more of a free role behind Benteke, and the goals should be there. But in order to make that partnership more effective, the midfield needs fixing, in a big way.

So more wins and points in our last 18 games than we have achieved in our first 20 games ought to do it then.

Whats the point of saying anything then, why not should down this forum as you could say this about anything, whip out a terrible stat whenever you like.

Its not going to change anything, neither is bashing a keyboard harder and harder either..

I mean that's the kind of stats that can no longer be ignored by anyone who keeps telling us there's been improvement.

To be clear, our points return was improving slowly up until the Chelsea game. Obviously the last three results have been shite and so we are not now improving (no shit!)

For me it's all on Lerner - Lambert took over a **** circus and if RL doesnt back him we are in a lot of troublet

I'm not sure we will pull it off but you have to look at the following as must win - Southampton, Newcastle, QPR, Fulham, Sunderland

Then some draws - West Ham, Norwich, WBA, Wigan

It will be very tough now

I'm not sure we will pull it off but you have to look at the following as must win - Southampton, Newcastle, QPR, Fulham, Sunderland

Then some draws - West Ham, Norwich, WBA, Wigan

It will be very tough now

We are still out of it though??

If anything, its a positive that having been so bad, we are still not at this stage - going down!!

If we continue to play like the last 3 games - we will go down.

However, I see absolutely no evidence that the 3 teams below us are on the up either.

So your comment of it being very tough applies to the 3 teams below us, and Wigan and imo, West Ham and possibly Fulham. Why are people so certain its going to be us that go down?

We are still out of it though??

If anything, its a positive that having been so bad, we are still not at this stage - going down!!

If we continue to play like the last 3 games - we will go down.

However, I see absolutely no evidence that the 3 teams below us are on the up either.

So your comment of it being very tough applies to the 3 teams below us, and Wigan and imo, West Ham and possibly Fulham. Why are people so certain its going to be us that go down?

The other teams look like they are capable of scoring goals though. Which at the moment we don't and we don't how to stop them at the moment either.

Southampton scored 3, Reading on (and won), Wigan scored 3 (albeit against us!) It's only QPR that look worse than us at this point imo.

But I do believe with players getting fit and a couple in we could be ok. But this is the first time i've been really worried (including when McDuff was here).