Henke Joins Villa as Head of Scouting

dudevillaisnice

What's the point in having him if we can't afford a pot to piss in?

These players won't come for The Championship next year, and lets face it - when we are relegated we won't be signing players - it'll be selling the existing ones and using whatever youth players that aren't around now who are available.

It's not like he took the Bayern Munich job. He's left Aston Villa 5 months after taking the job so he can manage a 2nd division German side. I can't help but interpret this negatively.

what other scouts have left us?

Ian Storey-Moore - Head Scout - Quit at same time as Martin O'Neill

Jeff Vetere - Head Scout - Joined under Houllier. Quit for a DOF job at Charlton within a few months.

Lil Fuccillo - Head Scout (originally joined as part of Vetere's scouting team until he left) - Binned by McLeish when he took over from Houllier

Glenn Roeder - 'Match Preparation Scout' - Taken on by Houllier to produce analysis on our upcoming opponents from about January to help us beat relegation. Left end of that season I think

Arthur Numan - International Scout - Let go when Lambert took over from McLeish, now at AZ Alkmaar (where he scouted Holman from for us.

Michael Henke - Head Scout - Off to a 2nd Division German club as Assistant manager within 4 months of joining.

Not great reading. Newcastle have given Graham Carr an 8 year contract, he will likely be there longer than the manager and any of the players which he has scouted. Why can't we have some stability?

Why cant we just have a scouting system laid out by the club and not just a general 'BYOS' (Bring Your Own Scouts) with our managerial merry-go-round. If Lambert walks at some point in the future (which is likely given his record) we'll be left without scouts again.

Edited by HalfTimePost

thanks HTP, interesting read, generally theres never much talk of scouts, its usualy something way in the background, but i guess its just as important as most other roles, we seem to of had some reasonably good scouts as well

i agree with you about having stabilty in the scouting network, that certainly would help, we could stay focused on key players instead the chopping and changing of opinions

on the flip side it could save the club money if they just had one scout checking up on villatalk, seeing who were talking about who they could go check out, lol

It's not like he took the Bayern Munich job. He's left Aston Villa 5 months after taking the job so he can manage a 2nd division German side. I can't help but interpret this negatively.

Manage being the key word there.

a scout job is sitting at home until a game is on and then goes to that and probably gets a small enough salary per week and some commission. his new job is a day to day job and probably a much better salary and job security(if such a thing in football)

a scout job is sitting at home until a game is on and then goes to that and probably gets a small enough salary per week and some commission. his new job is a day to day job and probably a much better salary and job security(if such a thing in football)

I'd think there is less job security in management than scouting...

As for his salary, I can't imagine this little German club paying him much more than he gets as Villa's top European scout.

Pity. If he stayed at villa he would be in with a shot of managing a 2nd division English side next season.

• 3 weeks later...