August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

A tidy little tour of the USA, Vlaar finally signing, Lerner selling the Browns, Collins gone...I'm feeling very good about things right now, despite the injuries to Dunne and Gabby. Hopefully it's just a knock with Gabby. And maybe we'll sign another CB now that Dunne will be sidelined for 2 months...who knows, could be a blessing in disguise.

Waiting on a few more signings. Hopefully we can get them wrapped up sooner rather than later.

Can't wait for West Ham!

UTV

I'm optimistic though I am mildly cautious about defence, they are good players but some of them are unproven at the highest level. I'll probably be proven wrong come start of the season but one more big CB and a possible LB in and I'll be more confident about that. The rest is looking good, wouldn't mind a new striker but maybe Weimann, Delfouneso or Burke fancy stepping up. I am optimistic though.

I'm very optimistic.

I think it will still be a re-building season, we'll have to have patience, especially with a new defensive line but we're hopefully going to play better football, be more entertaining and over the coming seasons enjoy a degree of success.

Yep, clearly a season to rebuild and repair, but doing so while playing a better brand of football brings a smile to my face. And who knows, we might be able to cause a little havoc along the way...

Very optimistic we will play some good football. I doubt we will end up top half though. But thats ok, I will take supporting a Villa playing great football any day of the week.

I think we'll finish top half still. Around 8th 9th or 10th as we get stuff together and improve on that as we get tighter each season.

I'm still a little nervous about the strength in depth of the squad

Winning friendlies is one thing but come PL kick off its a totally different ball game and I think our midfield is still quite lightweight

We also seem to lack real cutting edge from what I've seen so far

Still we will be better than last season I think

Very optimistic. A notable lack of hoofball last night against Peterborough. Still think we need a new striker first and foremost, the defence is getting there and we're lightweight up front especially with both Bent and Gabby having had injuries in pre-season.

I reckon we'll be 8-10th, but with every possibility of pushing 6-7th.

cant wait for the new season. Don't think we need a new cb though really. Clark Vlaar Baker and Lowton can play there, the first two may develop the kind of partnership that keeps dunne out of the side with luck, but if not, dunne's only going to miss 3-4 games. And I like Baker anyway.

Loooking forward to the new signings and style of play alot. We can finish anywhere from 6-11th I think, with 8-10th the most likeliest I think.

Try and not raise expectations every season but unfortunately let's just say that roof hurt my head...

Defence is finally being sorted out 2 in, 1 out and more to come i'd think, plus we have VLAAAAAARRRR!

Midfield, especially in the centre, looks great with loads of good footballers. Wings could be decent. Holman looks good and if N'zog finds form then a real force to be reckoned with.

up front. Darren Bent. Maybe one more experienced player in.

Basicallt I think we're 3 players away from a comfortable top 10 finish 8)

Realistically, it's hard to know what the season will be like. The squad is in a bit of a poor state after the failed investment and management strategies of the past two seasons, It's hard to know how far the treatment Lambert has applied so far will be enough to make us a decent competitive squad.

We have to be prepared to find that more is needed and we are still struggling. In which case the objective should be survival with honour, no panic buying in January and further work on the squad next summer.

I am confident that Lambert will get us into much better shape eventually but it may not happen next season. Any success we have will be a bit of a bonus for me.

I'm very optimistic that we will not get relegated

I'm very optimistic that we will continue to shape the squad to be better quality than it was two months ago

I'm very optimistic that this is not a one season project

I'm very optimistic that the season after next will be better than this and the season after that better still

I'm very optimistic that the club has learned from mistakes made and is now looking to build better fan relationships

I'm very optimistic that fans are coming back on board with the club and those that aren't could well be persuaded to

Anything else is a bonus

very optomistic of top half finish, even finishing as high as 7th

realistically the top 4 is taken - man u man city chelsea arsenal

after that is probably between liverpool spurs everton and maybe newcastle but i dont see newcastle being as good as last season

Was very much on the fence concerning Lambert and have seen nothing yet to allay my fear that he will change us into a team of the calibre of Norwich which isn't going to be good enough for the expectations of our club.

Optimistic for the future of the club. Delighted with the last few months, delighted with the decisions Lambert (and Lerner) seem to be taking. Loving the fact that proper football is at the top of his list rather than the "it's all about the results" bollocks. People pay money to come and support their team but they have to be entertained, they have to have heroes, the odd flash of brilliance - Lambert seems to be getting is to try and play in a really progressive way and I'm delighted with that.

I am cautious about the opening fixtures though, a partisan West Ham crowd away, a very experienced Everton at home, it may just be a rude awakening but this is a long-term project. I just hope we all remember that.

Us Villa fans know better than most, that optimism can be a scary thing!

Â