August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

optimistic for a top 10 finish, but i can see us getting a few hammerings during the season against the top teams because we've looked like schoolboys when it comes to winning the ball back in the middle of the part preseason

If you look at the squad on paper then its pretty poor, apart from Darren Bent and Stephen Ireland there is no real quality in the team.

There is nobody of any quality on either wing and a defence that consists of Lichaj, Lowton, Warnock, Baker, Dunne, Vlaar, Hutton and Stevens is very very weak. I would like to see a wide player and a few more defenders in.

Its also time for the likes of Bannan, Delph, Gardner,Allbrighton and Delfonesou to do something this year as the have been pretty unimpressive in the 1st team when they have played so far.

I think we will be 10th - 15th with the current squad.

Anything above 10th would be a massive achievement

Was very much on the fence concerning Lambert and have seen nothing yet to allay my fear that he will change us into a team of the calibre of Norwich which isn't going to be good enough for the expectations of our club.
What? :? I too was on the fence about Lambert but so far he's done everything possible to prove the likes of me wrong. We're trying to play good football, we're making astute signings and we're actually looking abroad for a change.

Personally I'm really optimistic for the future. Can't really think of anything that Lambert's done that I'm not pleased with.

This.

he has done all the right things so far, early days but it's looking promising (he needs to sign a LB before the end of the window though or me and him won't get along :P)

What has he done to deserve this praise? Yes Collins and Heskey are gone but Heskey was at the end of his contract anyway and a blind man could see that Collins was one quarter of one of the worst defences ever to play for our team that needed replaced.

His signings so far have been uninspiring and we are yet to see whether they can hack it in the Premiership?

I'm therefore a bit confused as to why we are placing our trust in a former manager of Norwich before we see how his signings perform and indeed how the team plays this season. You only have to look at the available team to play West Ham at the moment which still looks decidedly average, but i live in hope that Lambert will bring in that extra quality still needed in several positions before the season starts and i just hope that we're all not going to be let down again by the new manager syndrome which is especially prevalent after the ginger one?

Was very much on the fence concerning Lambert and have seen nothing yet to allay my fear that he will change us into a team of the calibre of Norwich which isn't going to be good enough for the expectations of our club.
What? :? I too was on the fence about Lambert but so far he's done everything possible to prove the likes of me wrong. We're trying to play good football, we're making astute signings and we're actually looking abroad for a change.

Personally I'm really optimistic for the future. Can't really think of anything that Lambert's done that I'm not pleased with.

This.

he has done all the right things so far, early days but it's looking promising (he needs to sign a LB before the end of the window though or me and him won't get along :P)

What has he done to deserve this praise? Yes Collins and Heskey are gone but Heskey was at the end of his contract anyway and a blind man could see that Collins was one quarter of one of the worst defences ever to play for our team that needed replaced.

His signings so far have been uninspiring and we are yet to see whether they can hack it in the Premiership?

I'm therefore a bit confused as to why we are placing our trust in a former manager of Norwich before we see how his signings perform and indeed how the team plays this season. You only have to look at the available team to play West Ham at the moment which still looks decidedly average, but i live in hope that Lambert will bring in that extra quality still needed in several positions before the season starts and i just hope that we're all not going to be let down again by the new manager syndrome which is especially prevalent after the ginger one?

Uninspiring? What makes you say that? Sure they're unknown but Vlaar and El-Ahmadi are experienced players and Lowton looks like a good prospect. It's not even like the transfer window is over yet so expect more ins and outs.

Why is the fact that he managed Norwich relevant?

We're also trying to play more progressive football. I'm not saying I have blind faith in Lambert or that he's already a success but so far he's done nothing wrong. What more else could he have done at this stage?

Managing Norwich doesn't exactly mean he has yet achieved an excellent managerial pedigree which would explain all the 'in Lambert we trust' comments. For me he has to earn that trust with results and when he does, then i will begin to trust him more.

His signings to date have been uninspiring to me as they are not the type of quality i expected, but i would love to be proved wrong on that when the season starts. My big worry however is that those signings, good enough for the likes of Norwich to achieve mid table rather than having sufficient quality to push us on back into the top six. We shall see?

Morpheus, from What i've seen from El Ahmadi so far, he has the best passing ability in the whole of our squad. He's the best passer of the ball i've seen at villa for a while... How can you say thats uninspiring?

I think lambert has to grow into this role

He's not managed a big club before, the first few games will be absolutely crucial for confidence in the season

My biggest concern is still a relatively weak midfield

I think we'll finish in the top 10 next season. Lambert will galvanize the whole place.

We just need a good solid season and run the contracts down of some of the higher, older earners.

It's exciting again, a welcome relief from the past couple of seasons.

Morpheus, from What i've seen from El Ahmadi so far, he has the best passing ability in the whole of our squad. He's the best passer of the ball i've seen at villa for a while... How can you say thats uninspiring?
Exactly.

El-Ahmadi - Very good passer and a Moroccan international

Lowton - Young and up and coming.

Vlaar - Dutch international. Captained one of the best teams in the Dutch league

All of them were also bought for relatively low fees and I doubt they're on high wages either. These signings are very promising.

I'm as happy as a shitty pig with the changes since the end of the season.

I'm not expecting a miracle but it's very nice indeed to be going in the right direction for the first time in over two years.

A potentially great new manager who is a winner to the core is the perfect start, we've dumped some more dead wood and bought in some astute signings, won every game so far in pre-season, our owner has found his marbles and our captain is on the road to recovery from life-threatening illness.

Optimistic doesn't quite cover it, i'm bloody ecstatic. But my expectations remain grounded all the same. Up the Villa!

I'm pleased with the signings so far, think they will prove to be very astute. When I look at the overall squad though, still think it's average at best and the lack of depth very worrying. Only one striker that has proven he can score regularly at prem level. If N'Zogbia is as bad as last season and Holman takes time to settle I can't see what we will get from the wings. We are weak in the fullback positions. Plus now Dunne is injured we lack experience in the heart of the defence. Clark is still relatively unproven and Vlaar needs to adapt to the Prem.

For me we need about 3-4 more players if we are to even finish in the top half this season.

Â