August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

If we sold nzog and brought Matt Philips - my optimism would soar.

As it is lower mid table Iam afraid.

what about bringing phillips in without getting rid of N'Zogbia? Would you be ok with that?

I think lambert has to grow into this role

He's not managed a big club before, the first few games will be absolutely crucial for confidence in the season

My biggest concern is still a relatively weak midfield

He'll be fine, even if we struggle early.

Yet again, our first match is away to a promoted side...a difficult match for any visiting team.

I really hope RL splashes the cash on a good striker...it's a must.

At the moment I'm looking forward to the new season. I believe weve brought in the best young manager in the English game, therefore I believe he will get a lot more out of the players than the last season. I think we've made some very shrewd signings but interms of numbers down on last season. We need another defender, I think we're short in midfield and need another striker. That's 3 in, and I think they should be quality.

I'm not also sold on this marque signing malarkey, I don't get skrimping on 3 or 4 signings for one big hit. Doesn't make sense to me, we need a balanced squad.

I think we hired the right manager. I think he is making good deals. But I think we were in such a hole that I'll be happy if we're in the top 15.

Not sure we'll see a whole lot more trading activity. I don't think there's a pile of cash waiting to be spent and not much to be gained from any sale we are likely to make.

Several that need to be sold but will not get any offers could be gone on loan.

If there isn't any money to improve the squad (and I'm talking about £15-20 million) I have no idea why Lambert came. He could have waited for a better oppotunity rather than a club with a board who have clearly thrown the towel in.

If there isn't any money to improve the squad (and I'm talking about £15-20 million) I have no idea why Lambert came. He could have waited for a better oppotunity rather than a club with a board who have clearly thrown the towel in.

I just don't agree that you "have no idea why" and "it is not possible that" are identical phrases.

I just don't agree that you "have no idea why" and "it is not possible that" are identical phrases.

I really have no idea what you're getting at.

I really have no idea what you're getting at.

I'm scratching my head at that one too... :?

Really excited by what's to come. I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but think the top half of the table is a possibility if we don't lose key players for any length of time.

Let's not forget we can still bring more players in before the window closes and supplement the squad further in Jan if needs be.

I will be happy with anything as long as the football improves and we are clear of danger at the bottom.

Bring it on!

I have the naive optimism that comes with a new season.

I still, like others, feel that we need more squad/team members. Specifically, a forward (Gabby and Bent have been quite injury prone recently, and I don't have confidence in Weimann/Fonz), a winger, left back and centre back.

I think we have enough central midfielders, that, if coached properly, should be given a chance. Of course, I wouldn't say no to a great midfielder coming in, I just think that the above should be our focus.

So my naive optimism is about 8/10 for a top 8 finish.

What type of signings did you expect?

We can't expect to be back in the top six this season. This is only the first season of the rebuilding process. Have some patience.

You see this is the sort of comment that really pisses me off.

Why can we not expect to be in the top six this season? With the right investment we should be challenging for the top six most seasons. We are Aston Villa and not Norwich who will always have lower expectations than ourselves. With the right sales and purchases there is no reason why we cannot be on a par with Everton or Newcastle who have purchased the right players. We seem to be permanently in a rebuilding process and will be no more than what we are at the moment until the attitudes of fans and board alike change. There has been too much of a deafest attitude around Villa Park for far too long and its a cancer thats stopping the club from moving forward!

How long are we going to be in a rebuilding process? O'Neill's five year plan? Then GB trying to rebuild the club and now we are in a rebuilding process again.

There is quality out there to be purchased which will move us forward, Carroll, Sturridge, Johnston to name but three whose quality would push us into the top six. Yes its going to take money, a lot of it but we have been told wages were the issue and not transfer funds so have we not made room for that type of quality already with departures?

We should also now consider selling Gabby who's form has been poor and this would help fund the above purchases along with Downing revenue.

All we need is ambition. Ambition to put this club back where it belongs. Unfortunately, i have seen very little of that and with the present mind set we'll still be making the old excuse that we are in a rebuilding process five years from now.

What type of signings did you expect?

We can't expect to be back in the top six this season. This is only the first season of the rebuilding process. Have some patience.

You see this is the sort of comment that really pisses me off.

Why can we not expect to be in the top six this season? With the right investment we should be challenging for the top six most seasons. We are Aston Villa and not Norwich who will always have lower expectations than ourselves. With the right sales and purchases there is no reason why we cannot be on a par with Everton or Newcastle who have purchased the right players. We seem to be permanently in a rebuilding process and will be no more than what we are at the moment until the attitudes of fans and board alike change. There has been too much of a deafest attitude around Villa Park for far too long and its a cancer thats stopping the club from moving forward!

How long are we going to be in a rebuilding process? O'Neill's five year plan? Then GB trying to rebuild the club and now we are in a rebuilding process again.

There is quality out there to be purchased which will move us forward, Carroll, Sturridge, Johnston to name but three whose quality would push us into the top six. Yes its going to take money, a lot of it but we have been told wages were the issue and not transfer funds so have we not made room for that type of quality already with departures?

We should also now consider selling Gabby who's form has been poor and this would help fund the above purchases along with Downing revenue.

All we need is ambition. Ambition to put this club back where it belongs. Unfortunately, i have seen very little of that and with the present mind set we'll still be making the old excuse that we are in a rebuilding process five years from now.

Don't worry, the feeling's mutual. The attitude that we should be in or around the top 6 purely because we're Aston Villa pisses me off as well. It would require massive funds. We're talking £50m+ here. Of course I expect us to be challenging for the top 6 in future seasons but right now the squad is rather lacking in quality and although Lambert is a good manager and making some good signings, we just can't afford to go on a huge spending spree.

I really don't see how you can say we lack "ambition" when we've shown just that in appointing Lambert and letting him revamp the squad.

After the recent financial troubles it would be very irresponsible to chuck money we don't have at getting into the top 6.

im excited

dont see the likes of everton/fulham/stoke/sunderland doing anything to pull further away from us, disagree that we need a big £15m - £20m signing, we need good signings regardless of the cost and im impressed with our approach so far in the transfer market, another striker and a left back and i think we'll have a good season

I don't think anyone saw Newcastle finishing where they did. It's perfectly reasonable to think we can have a strong season. The lads have won more matches in pre-season than we managed all last season at VP, so hopefully they're going to take that mentality and positivity into the league campaign.

I'm not entirely convinved the "big money" thing is relevant. Nobody's moaned that Vlaar only cost £3m or so. What if he brought in a striker costing the same? Would the reaction be "he won't be as good as someone costing £15m"?

Morpheus, from What i've seen from El Ahmadi so far, he has the best passing ability in the whole of our squad. He's the best passer of the ball i've seen at villa for a while... How can you say thats uninspiring?
Exactly.

El-Ahmadi - Very good passer and a Moroccan international

Lowton - Young and up and coming.

Vlaar - Dutch international. Captained one of the best teams in the Dutch league

All of them were also bought for relatively low fees and I doubt they're on high wages either. These signings are very promising.

We'll see how promising they are when the season starts?

I have the naive optimism that comes with a new season.

I still, like others, feel that we need more squad/team members. Specifically, a forward (Gabby and Bent have been quite injury prone recently, and I don't have confidence in Weimann/Fonz), a winger, left back and centre back.

I think we have enough central midfielders, that, if coached properly, should be given a chance. Of course, I wouldn't say no to a great midfielder coming in, I just think that the above should be our focus.

So my naive optimism is about 8/10 for a top 8 finish.

Couldent have put it any better myself.

We have a good squad but not enough strength in depth.

I'm quite optimistic because finally after 2 years we have a manager that is half decent. However looking at the squad I can't see us getting into the top 10 without 3 or 4 more signings to be honest. Another centre back, left back, winger and striker would be ideal imo

Â