Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

You can see him desperately trying to lead the team, almost to the detriment of his own form. It's too much for him, in my opinion.

I appreciate that he cares enough to stand in front of a camera, take some responsibility and admit how crestfallen he is.

We desperately need some experience along side him. If we can get Dunne in against Milwall then I think it'll start to take some pressure of Vlaar and Clark (who is clearly not a leader in any capacity). It's easy to forget that this is Vlaar's first season in the PL, and he's just come back from injury himself. From a personal perspective, I can't imagine it's been an easy transition for him.

I'm glad to have him back though, we need him if we're going to get out of the hole we've dug for ourselves.

Ron Vlaar@RonVlaar4

The day after.. Waking up and thinking back, remember what happened.... Feel very bad and ashamed... Support was great... Can't say any more

Ron Vlaar@RonVlaar4

The day after.. Waking up and thinking back, remember what happened.... Feel very bad and ashamed... Support was great... Can't say any more

We need more players like this, players with balls that actually give a shit

Very tough watching his interview on AVTV. Really felt for the big bloke.

Hope this experience helps him train hard and get pumped up for the next match against Millwall. Lord knows we'll need him.

Edited by Ghost

Ron Vlaar for me was man of the match last night and gave a solid performance.

The criticism coming in for him is absolutely diabolical.

Did you not see him get beaten to the ball by a division 4 striker who has only scored 5 goals in 25 games?

It was poor poor defending schoolboy stuff

Did you not see him get beaten to the ball by a division 4 striker who has only scored 5 goals in 25 games?

Indeed but there was more to it all than one mistake, our defensive set up for corners is horrendous, and either way over two legs we should have easily beat division 4 opposition. I won't blame Vlaar for us going out because of a mistake allowing them to take one goal, I'm more concerned with the fact that we let 4 goals in over 2 games and could only put 3 in ourselves.

Edited by samjp26

Indeed but there was more to it all than one mistake, our defensive set up for corners is horrendous, and either way over two legs we should have easily beat division 4 opposition. I won't blame Vlaar for us going out because of a mistake allowing them to take one goal, I'm more concerned with the fact that we let 4 goals in over 2 games and could only put 3 in ourselves.

I agree it wasn't solely his fault but i do not get the hero worship status he receives

He's an average defender at best

Ron Vlaar for me was man of the match last night and gave a solid performance.

The criticism coming in for him is absolutely diabolical.

he has been poor a number of times this season

I agree it wasn't solely his fault but i do not get the hero worship status he receives

He's an average defender at best

I agree, he isn't world class in regards to footballing skills, he isn't going to leave us and going to a top 6 team any time soon and I'd say he is a 10th place and below premiership defender at best - but thats a great deal better the other defenders we have (bar Lowton who I think has been very consistant). Whenever it came to one on ones or chasing down the ball last night it was clear that he was a player of a much higher calibre than the opposition - which is what you would expect with the amount of football league places between us and Bradford.

I'm not calling him out to be a hero of any sort - there were no heroes last night obviously, I'm just glad he has a bit of heart, desire and clearly gives a shit about his team a lot more than some players who have been here for years. He has natural leadership qualities which is what we need right now, grown men who will give the younger bunch a clip round the earhole and a kick up the arse when needed, and I can't begin to imagine what the scoreline would have been last night without him.

He made a mistake, but I honestly think we would've conceded more had he not been there. Where our inexperienced defenders would have panicked in some instances yesterday (like they've bee doing recently), Vlaar brought calm and composure. We're a lot stronger when he's in there make no mistake.

Ron is a very accomplished footballer, certainly better with the ball at his feet than Mellberg or Laursen. And his passion is quite evident, he really wants to succeed here. I like the guy.

But he is clearly poor in the air. I seem to remember this was mentioned by somebody when we signed him. That's no good in British football, where heading in crosses is the one thing strikers (even lower league ones) have always excelled at. If PL didn't know Ron can't head the ball before, he certainly knows it now.

I would sign a typical British centre half and turn Ron into a defensive midfielder. I think he could really excell in that position eventually, but as we don't have lot of time to play with, PL is unlikely to experiment.

COmpare the defence in the first leg to last night's defence.

Ok we gave away a silly goal,. and it was Vlaar's fault. But apart from that they offered nothing all night (as they should, given they're a league 2 team)

In the first leg they were literally running riot. We actually did look like a schoolboy team in that leg.

Ok it's Bradford so it's hard to use it as a benchmark. but if you can't see the improvement between leg 1 and 2 then I'm very surprised.

Again, it's not so much Vlaar's ability, it's leadership and experience.

He made a mistake, but I honestly think we would've conceded more had he not been there. Where our inexperienced defenders would have panicked in some instances yesterday (like they've bee doing recently), Vlaar brought calm and composure. We're a lot stronger when he's in there make no mistake.

after just seeing his interview this man does care and feels what were feeling, whether hes the best in the premier league,naah but he's got the heart for villa maybe he should give ireland a few smacks round the head he just isnt bothered!!!!!

What's annoying me is we have some threads with people saying stuff like "I just wish the players would give a shit" or "He just never looks bothered!"

And here we have a guy who is a decent defender, not amazing, but clearly does give a shit, big time, and he's getting slated (by some) for it.

• Like 2

We need more players like this, players with balls that actually give a shit

He is already a legend in the making in my eyes. He is our Mellberg/Laursen replacement. I hope he sticks by us through thick and thin like the last 2 did.

The guy has not long returned from a long injury and has already been thrown in at the deep end and baby sit the other 3 alongside him while trying to keep out the attack too.

Look at our results we suffered when Vlaar was injured. Now I will let you research it for yourself for you to see the difference in the 3 games he has played since being back from injury to those of the results of the first 3 games he was injured.

He is practically a one man defence at the minute but before anyone starts bubbling about Warnock and Hutton being dropped whatever then that is an entire different argument for the appropriate thread.

he has been poor a number of times this season

I agree it is always difficult to play through the pain barrier with no one else to help him accomodate this. ..Clark? Lichaj? Bennett? Lowton? Herd? They have showed they are still not ready to pick up the torch yet and the inexperience combined with tiredness is taking it's toll. No disrespect the the young lads as atleast they try!

It begs me the question what the score could have been in favour of Bradford if Vlaar didn't play last night. I can safely guess a bigger embarrassment than what actually occurred.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Ron Vlaar - good solid player, like someone previously said maybe not a top 6 player but good enough for most PL clubs outside that top bunch. Credit where credit is due he made a mistake last night but he owned up immediately and showed passion and leadership on the field and in his interview a care for the club I haven't seen from any other player in recent times. Respect to you Ron, hope he's still here if we drop.

Â