Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Sigh... It seems that Vlaar is one of those unlucky players. Things never really go his way, even if he tries. Bit of a sorry figure. I don't know, I seem to change my mind about him all the time.

I think he's been mainly very average overall. Ok squad player but we'd have been much better off keeping Collins IMO.

Are you actually serious? Vlaar is twice the player Collins is or ever was.

• Like 2

That was an exaggeration. He's been pretty average this season, but people are easy to forget his exceptional season last year. One in which he capped off with being an ever-present in the Dutch team that made the WC semis, and was generally considered to be the best defender at the tournament. Collins has and never will reach that level of performance, it's not even close their difference in ability. That said, Collins is a decent player.

Edited by Keyblade

Vlaar played very well in the world cup, how did that help us exactly?

In a villa shirt Collins was much more consistent and not as injured. We'd have got much more out of Collins these last 3 years than we have out of Vlaar.

• Like 2

Collins has always been a better player than Vlaar, whether in a Villa shirt or not.

That said, at Villa's current position, assuming no takeover, keeping Vlaar on reasonable wages would be a positive for the squad. He's OK for lower midtable and if you don't expect your defence to allow less than 50-55 goals per season.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

Collins has always been a better player than Vlaar, whether in a Villa shirt or not.

That said, at Villa's current position, assuming no takeover, keeping Vlaar on reasonable wages would be a positive for the squad. He's OK for lower midtable and if you don't expect your defence to allow less than 50-55 goals per season.

Has he balls :crylaugh: 

Vlaar's going through an uncharacteristic bad patch - this is the worst he's been for us and this is not his normal level. Collins made mistakes all the time.

• Like 3

I think he's been mainly very average overall. Ok squad player but we'd have been much better off keeping Collins IMO.

Are you actually serious? Vlaar is twice the player Collins is or ever was.

I think you've got that the wrong way round to be honest.

• Like 1

Vlaar is capable of being much better than Collins will ever be but unfortunately his levels of performance aren't consistent enough and when you factor in the injuries I can see why people might think they are on par.

I'd rather have Vlaar though all day long.

Collins was awful.

He was a key half of what was our best defensive pairing stats-wise in years and years.

With experienced defenders around him. Vlaar has had to play with kids for the most part and tbh that's why I think him and El Ahmadi were signed because they were used to playing with younger players at Feyenoord.

It seems you get better the more you don't play for us! It takes four decent defenders to make a good defence we don't have that at the minute. Vlaar is a better player than Collins. If Collins was better he would've played at bigger clubs and been successful he hasn't and never will. If we can add a couple of fullbacks in the summer and sign up Vlaar we will be a lot better next year defensively.

• Like 1

Â