Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

It's a pity it just isn't working out between Villa and Vlaar at the moment because he has all the prerequisites of being a Villa legend (centre back, Scandinavian*, injury prone, beard)

*ish

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So 76% of fans think we should let Vlaar leave at the end of the season (Birmingham Mail http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-andreas-weimann-ron-8961315).

I'm shocked. Yes he probably will leave. But the poll is about who fans want to leave. I think Vlaar is incredibly underrated by a lot of fans. Yes he's injury prone. But since Lambert took over he's been a massive player for us. Particularly in Lambert's first season when we looked so much stronger defensively with him in the team. Despite how well Clark and Okore have played together I think Vlaar and Okore would be our strongest pairing. If Vlaar was tempted to stay now Sherwood is in charge I can't imagine he'd be as keen reading that. We'll miss him when he goes.

Edited by Matt1874

So 76% of fans think we should let Vlaar leave at the end of the season (Birmingham Mail http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-andreas-weimann-ron-8961315).

I'm shocked. Yes he probably will leave. But the poll is about who fans want to leave. I think Vlaar is incredibly underrated by a lot of fans. Yes he's injury prone. But since Lambert took over he's been a massive player for us. Particularly in Lambert's first season when we looked so much stronger defensively with him in the team. Despite how well Clark and Okore have played together I think Vlaar and Okore would be our strongest pairing. If Vlaar was tempted to stay now Sherwood is in charge I can't imagine he'd be as keen reading that. We'll miss him when he goes.

We SHOULD let him leave.

I've been one of his biggest fans, I think he's excellent when he's fit.

But his age and his lack of fitness for us would mean giving him a new contract at this stage would be a bit silly. Especially with Clark and Okore doing so well.

It's not that people don't want Vlaar in an ideal world. It's that age, injuries and wages means it wouldn't be a sensible decision.

I agree with the comments about keeping him being a risk with his injury record and likely wages. But buying a replacement of equal ability will probably cost a fair bit more over say the next 3 years with their transfer fee (a fair few million) and wages.

And we'd need to replace him as it'd be pretty optimistic to think that Okore and Clark would remain fit all season. Otherwise we'd be back with horror pairings like Clark and Baker [emoji33]

I agree with the comments about keeping him being a risk with his injury record and likely wages. But buying a replacement of equal ability will probably cost a fair bit more over say the next 3 years with their transfer fee (a fair few million) and wages.

And we'd need to replace him as it'd be pretty optimistic to think that Okore and Clark would remain fit all season. Otherwise we'd be back with horror pairings like Clark and Baker [emoji33]

re Clark and Baker, both have improved greatly this season and look to be developing into decent centrebacks.

I don't think they've been paired together this season but would imagine they'd perform better as partnership now.

I rate Vlaar but his injuries this year have really taken the shine off his Villa career for me. I would love him to stay but don't think we'd risk a large contract on a 30yr old with a dodgy calf at this moment in time.

Â