Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think when Vlaar looks back at his career he will regret his move to Villa.

This could be a defining summer for the remainder of his career. Will he get the big move he must crave and probably feel he deserves. No player must enjoy playing in one of the worst defences in the league.

His agent will be trying to secure him a big move. The question is, is he good enough to find him one?

Dunne? Haha...

Vlaar is better.

Ron has been with us two years and I've seen nothing in that time, in a Villa shirt, to suggest he is a better player than Dunne but the game is all about opinions. Dunne was a big reason in 09/10 we had the 4th best defense in the league and conceded just 39 goals which was even more remarkable when you consider we conceded 7 in one freak result/game.

The thing that lets Dunne down is that he was/is prone to the odd clanger but when he was good, and in 09/10 that was certainly more often than not then he was a very solid centre back. He also, alongside Given, was a very big reason we stayed up in 11/12 when at the back end of the season he had some excellent games.

Don't get me wrong I think Ron is a decent centre back and certainly based on his recent performances for Holland I'd rather we kept him than sold him.

If he wants out and we get an offer of over 5 mill I'd imagine he'd be off. I'd also be relatively confident that with that kind of money Lambert could find an adequate replacement.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Dunne? Haha...

Vlaar is better.

Ron has been with us two years and I've seen nothing in that time, in a Villa shirt, to suggest he is a better payer than Dunne but the game is all about opinions. Dunne was a big reason in 09/10 we had the 4th best defense in the league and conceded just 39 goals which was even more remarkable when you consider we conceded 7 in one freak result/game.

The thing that lets Dunne down is that he was/is prone to the odd clanger but when he was good, and in 09/10 that was certainly more often than not then he was a very solid centre back. He also, alongside Given, was a very big reason we stayed up in 11/12 when at the back end of the season he had some excellent games.

Don't get me wrong I think Ron is a decent centre back and certainly based on his recent performances for Holland I'd rather we kept him than sold him.

If he wants out and we get an offer of over 5 mill I'd imagine he'd be off. I'd also be relatively confident that with that kind of money Lambert could find an adequate replacement.

Bloody hell my memory is terrible. Which game did we concede 7 in? I can only remember the 5 against Liverpool under MON.

I think our overall team was better then from a defensive point of view which helped that defense in 09/10.

Now in contrast we are more of an inexperienced team which is reflected by the pressure on our current defensive unit.

• Like 1

Dunne? Haha...

Vlaar is better.

Ron has been with us two years and I've seen nothing in that time, in a Villa shirt, to suggest he is a better payer than Dunne but the game is all about opinions. Dunne was a big reason in 09/10 we had the 4th best defense in the league and conceded just 39 goals which was even more remarkable when you consider we conceded 7 in one freak result/game.

Bloody hell my memory is terrible. Which game did we concede 7 in? I can only remember the 5 against Liverpool under MON.

Chelsea away at the back end of the 09/10 season.

Dunne? Haha...

Vlaar is better.

Ron has been with us two years and I've seen nothing in that time, in a Villa shirt, to suggest he is a better player than Dunne but the game is all about opinions. Dunne was a big reason in 09/10 we had the 4th best defense in the league and conceded just 39 goals which was even more remarkable when you consider we conceded 7 in one freak result/game.

TBF we had a good defence. Give Vlaar a solid defence and I think he'd do just as good that's why it'd be good to see him alongside Okore with 2 good FB's. Our win ratio with him shows how good he has been for us compared to when he is out. I hope he stays and would want at least £10m as that's what we'd have to pay to replace him.

Remember that Vlaar was somewhat of a cheap gamble and happened to be one that paid off. Even with, say, 10 million to play with I'm not convinced that we could get a replacement that's a sure bet and willing to come here for Villa wages (or come here at all). We'll either end up with a known quantity that's a step down or will have to take another gamble, albeit with better odds of paying off, on a young or foreign player. We can't afford another gamble as his replacement.

Dunne? Haha...

Vlaar is better.

On the contrary, I've seen a lot from Vlaar to suggest he's better than Dunne. Besides a very good few months (wasn't even a full season in all honesty) Dunne was never that great for Villa. After Milner left in fact he was part of a very poor defence in 10/11. Not that Dunne was entirely to blame of course, but he certainly didn't cover himself in glory that season and he wasn't particularly good the next season under McLeish either - our fairly decent defensive record that season was just as much down to McLeish's ultra-defensive tactics than anything else.

Yes Vlaar has been part of a team with a poor defensive record but how much of that is actually down to Vlaar himself? For starters Lambert has often been quite gung-ho as a manager and we're all aware of the deficiencies we've had in midfield. Dunne had the likes of Milner, Petrov and NRC (didn't rate the latter that much but he was ok at protecting the defence) in front of him whereas Vlaar's had nothing like that sort of protection, and on top of that he's had to do it alongside Baker and Clark who we all know are pretty poor.

Vlaar's a much better footballer than Dunne as well - he's a cultured CB who often drives the ball out of defence and starts attacks. You have to look at more than just the defensive records of the teams they were a part of. As I said, just compare who Dunne had in front of him in midfield to who Vlaar's had. Also, let's not forget that our record is a lot lot worse without than Vlaar than with him so I think it's safe to say that a fair chunk of our goals conceded over the past two seasons have been with Vlaar out injured anyway (e.g. that nightmare Christmas where we conceded 15 goals in 3 games - Vlaar was out injured).

All in all I'm struggling to think of better Villa CBs in the past decade besides Mellberg and Laursen.

• Like 1

Vlaar was pretty poor in his first season but I don't think it can be understated how well he performed for most of last season to pretty much hold together such a hapless defence. The likes of Baker, Luna and Lowton are big enough liabilities by themselves and he often had to play alongside more than one of them.

Vlaar was pretty poor in his first season but I don't think it can be understated how well he performed for most of last season to pretty much hold together such a hapless defence. The likes of Baker, Luna and Lowton are big enough liabilities by themselves and he often had to play alongside more than one of them.

I agree to a certain extent which makes it even more bewildering as to why either Lerner didn't provide the funds to make at the very least short term improvements in terms of loans to the defense or if he did why Lambert chose not to bring someone in. I also think the loan signing of an experienced centre back was way more crucial than spending those wages on Holt in January.

Vlaar is much better than Dunne. Dunne got beaten in the air by Van der vært and beaten for pace by Andy Carroll.

Not good enough. Scored a lot of own goals too. I can guarantee you Dunne would never play for Holland!

i have it on good authority that vlaar will be offered a contract in the region of 50-60k per week and if he turns it down he will be out the door

Got an update that this will be decided next week - if he hasn't agreed terms by then he'll leave for a fee in the region of 8m

Â