Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

We know Vlaar has a big impact on our team, but other than the fact that he's a 'natural leader', it's down to his confidence and the performances that he's put in for us and Holland. If Lambert was to bring in a defender who played really well in the World Cup, that'd be one tick in a box already. A new defender wouldn't have the same impact as Vlaar straight away, but if they put in 6 months of quality performances, then the players would respect him and view him as a huge influence, like they did with Vlaar, after his first 6 months.

Vlaar is not some Lionel Messi type of irreplaceable player.

If the option was to lose Vlaar for nothing next summer, or to have (for example) £12m for him now. I would actually take the £12 million. Yes, it would be a risk this season, if we brought in a player with no Premier League experience, but the other option would be worse next summer. Losing Vlaar for free, and having no money for a replacement, would be awful for Villa, in our current state of limbo.

The third option, of course, is that Vlaar stays and signs a new contract. This is the ideal outcome for us, but I have a worrying feeling that, if big clubs are interested, that Ron might want to finish his career at the top end.

Yes, I agree with most you say. I suppose I value this upcoming season, and it's first few months very highly in our current situation. If we start the season poorly, it could be costly. Therefore, I would be willing to let Vlaar walk free next summer, in the hope of a good start of this season and a new owner by next. Edited by AVTuco

What do you view as a reasonable offer Richard? And do you know this from the 'horses mouth', or is that just your opinion?

@ AVTuco, I agree. This coming season is extremely important. I suppose the flip-side is that we reject a decent offer for Vlaar, and then we still have a bad season (maybe because he still has youth around him), and we'd be wishing that we'd cashed in so that we could bring in some more experience. (But I'm optimistic, and I think Vlaar & Okore will perform better than the Clark/ Baker/ Vlaar performances we saw last year).

• Like 2

I'd much rather lose him on a free than risk this season without him. I'm still hopeful we'll be taken over within the next year so hopefully we'll be in a position to buy a proper replacement. At the moment given our financial situation I just have no confidence that we'll be able to get the right replacement.

• Like 3

Man United are signing De Vrij.

They still need another CB if you ask me. Specially if they intend on playing 3 at the back.

De Vrij - Vlaar - Jones 

That would be a deent back 3. 

If Vlaar were to go now, judging by performances last year, it could spell the end of our time in the premiership, and that would be a lot more costly than losing Vlaar on a free at the end of the season.

Losing him on a free, you should remember, would be losing a relatively small transfer fee that we paid for him plus his wages, so not a huge amount in the overall scheme of things.

• Like 1

We should reject any offers that come in. I'd much rather lose him on a free than go without him this season. Anyone thinking otherwise just needs to consult that table comparing our performances with him and without him. He doesn't seem the type to be a dick to us either.

• Like 3

I think it is obvious that if he leaves it will be down to Lerner allowing it to go through, rather than Lambert.

Yep, I think Lambert knows the importance of Vlaar to the team and would want to keep him even if it meant losing him for nothing next season whereas Lerner won't allow that as he is looking to cash in on everything.

I think it is obvious that if he leaves it will be down to Lerner allowing it to go through, rather than Lambert.

Yep, I think Lambert knows the importance of Vlaar to the team and would want to keep him even if it meant losing him for nothing next season whereas Lerner won't allow that as he is looking to cash in on everything.

The thing is, although Lerner will want to cash in literally, he also would be taking a big risk to go over Lambert's head and sell his captain/best defender.

You could also argue that, if there is no immediate take over in the pipe line, Lerner could see Vlaar as important to keeping the club in a saleable position (ie still in the prem).

We truthfully do now know how the club will react to any kinds of bids for our better players.

If Yueng would go for 6 and Borini 14, I can't see Vlaar less than 10. Valuations of players should have risen commensurate with the increase in tv revenues, especially in purchases inside the league. If it's United they should pay higher, hate to leave them with all that Chevrolet and adidas money just sitting there accruing interest.

Still not convinced Soton and the Toons aren't drinking from the same delusional fountain on their incoming transfer ideas.

The thing is, although Lerner will want to cash in literally, he also would be taking a big risk to go over Lambert's head and sell his captain/best defender.

Lambert is effectively a 'yes-man' though and has been since he arrived. If he were going to quit, he would've done it soon after last season ended. So I think Lerner knows he can do as he pleases without too much complaint.

You could also argue that, if there is no immediate take over in the pipe line, Lerner could see Vlaar as important to keeping the club in a saleable position (ie still in the prem).

He has risked our Premier League status enough times in the last few years for me not to have faith in that changing now. There really is no point trying to rationalise his thought process as he rarely makes the logical decision.

A takeover not being close will only make it more likely that he'll look to try and take out even more money from the club as he knows that he'll probably have to drop the asking price even further.

Would Lerner want to cash in? Its not like he can sell vlaar and just keep the money for himself. Or am I wrong?

It would also make the thing he's trying to sell weaker.

I think it will come down to vlaar, I think he will probably want to leave and we will allow him to if we get a fair price for him.

Â